The Easter Egg Hunt 2014 has ended!See the Leaderboard

Cabs on the Way

Posted by Kevin on October 01 at 12:08 pm
Larimar Blue Crazy Lace Agate

Larimar Blue Crazy Lace Agate

Wire wrappers rejoice – Lima Beads has a full line of cabochons coming soon! We’re very excited about this line. We’ve taken some of our most popular stones and had them cut into cabs by a marvelous factory. The cut and polish are unbelievable!

Matt & Steve are currently designing and building a new section of our web site for the cabs. You’ll be able to shop them by stone or size. Most of them will be a standard oval cut with one flat side, but a few of the stones will have really funky cuts! We’ve only received about half of the shipment thus far, but I know that some of the stones are:

Rutilated Quartz

Rutilated Quartz

… and many more

Not familiar with cabochons?

New Impression Jasper

New Impression Jasper

Cabochons (“cabs” for short) are similar to the beads you already buy from Lima, with two important differences. They are not drilled and they usually (but not always) have 1 flat side. Cabs are best used for wire wrapping or placing into a setting. If you have a ring for example, that has a semi-precious gemstone set into it – that is most likely a cab. We love wire wrapping because it allows a lot of artistry into a design. I am amazed by some of our customers that send us photos of their wire-wrapped designs. The wire itself becomes a work of art!

We’re looking for some photos of wire wrapped designs to be featured on the Lima Beads web site – so if you have a design you’re proud of, please send us photos.

How do you use cabs? Are you excited? Let us know!

Thanks everyone,
Kevin

1. Matt
    Matt says:

When I was formatting this post for the web, it was really hard to crop those cabochon photos down to their current size. Pictures just don’t do justice for the real thing!

I remember when the first shipment came, Kevin’s eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas morning. He pulled them out to show everyone in the office and we were all pretty amazed.

You can tell that we’re excited to add these to the website. I personally can’t wait to see some of our customers’ projects.

2. Mademoiselle M
    Mademoiselle M says:

I mainly use cabs in soldered settings, but I do have this wire-wrapped piece that I’m pretty proud of. It’s inspired by one of Eni Oken tutorials.
    (http://mademoiselle-m.com/images/bijoux/460.jpg)

I can’t wait to see them! :)

3. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

That new Impression Jasper is beautiful. Is that gold colored streaks in the stone?
    Any chance that you will have some beads out of the material?
    And is that Rutalated Quartz with red hairs?
    Are your cab’s calibrated?

Yes!!! Thank you! hank you! Thank you! I’ve been wanting cabochons (espcially rounds)! This is awesome! I cant wait to see your beautiful stones in cabs! Now if you had sterling silver wire this site would be perfect.

5. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

Even though its a pain to buy my Sterling else where, I like how Lima is able to maintain the quality AND customer service that the big places that sell everything can not. So, even though its on a different shopping cart, I buy my Sterling items else where. Big companies are not necessarly better.

Rainbow Chick says:

Mademoiselle-M, your work is beautiful indeed! I can’t wait to see what you do with the new cabs. Thank you Lima!

7. ocean lady
    ocean lady says:

WooHoo,
    Cabs at Lima! I am so excited! Can we get some wrapping wire too? :)

Danna j says:

when, when, when?????????????????My wire is screaming for new cabs!!!

Kim S says:

YAHOO – can’t wait to see them.

Cabs are also great for bead embroidery.

Check this link for a sample of one of my embroidery designs;

10. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Danna – HaHa. We’re not sure yet! Steve and Matt are working as quickly as they can, but it takes awhile to build a whole new section of the web site.

I will hound them for you :)

11. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Kim & Mademoiselle – Your stuff is very cool, thank you for sharing!

12. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

Weeeeee!!!!! I’m so excited about this! I can’t wait to see them, not to mention set them! haha.

13. Redroo
    Redroo says:

Hurray, I’ve been waiting 4ever …
    Got Silver !!!!!

14. Suleika Alejandra
    Suleika Alejandra says:

If they are anything like the rest of your products, I know they will be beautiful! I agree with Ocean Lady, maybe wire too? BTW love the new metal additions! Thanks for all the great sales too.

15. solaris designs
    solaris designs says:

I’m so excited that you’ll be carrying cabs soon! The quality of your stones are always excellent – so I’m looking forward to placing my first order!

You can check out some examples of how I wrap my cabs on the homepage of my site: http://www.solarisdesigns.com/

Shelly d says:

I am so excited. A good cab source can be hard to find. I already love the quality of your stone beads so I am sure the cabs will be fabulous as well. I use them mostly for bead embroidery. Just let me add a big thanks for the great customer service!

17. Juliet j
    Juliet j says:

I love the quality of your stones. I’ve been playing with some hand carved backings for large cabs using clay.Can’t wait to incorporate your new cabs with them. You can see my work at gemsbyjuli.com

18. Perlemamma
    Perlemamma says:

Oh yes!!!!…And Oh no!!! I’m trying to get off the increasing stone-buying habit here!! Don’t let them in or I’ll be lost!

Trying not to be impatient or annoying ( I can only imagine how busy you must all be!) but WHEN? WHEN? WHEN?!!!

• SteveSteve said »
    “Hi everyone, thanks so much again for hunting along with us this …”
  • No PhotoSuzanne I said »
    “Thanks for a fun and challenging hunt, LB! diamonddustshoe, I also agree …”
  • KerryKerry said »
    “What a great hunt this year! Really enjoyed it and was very …”
  • No PhotoA craddick said »
    “Thanks so much for another great year of egg hunting! It was …”
  • JJKTJJKT said »
    “I found 83 eggs but on Easter Sunday I had company until …”
  • B MillerB Miller said »
    “Thanks for another great egg hunt, Lima Beads! Fell off the …”