I Found My Vintage Buttons!

Posted by Ali on October 22 at 08:41 pm

I have always enjoyed using offbeat parts in my jewelry — found objects, costume jewelry from my grandma, sparkly vintage buttons, or “hippie beads” from my Aunt Jackie. I feel like using these kinds of pieces in my jewelry adds a special touch to the already cool combinations of stones.

My Vintage Buttons

My Vintage Buttons

In my college days, I could be found selling my jewelry each summer at the Ann Arbor art fair. I always tried to have a variety of pieces available from low to high prices and from simple to super fancy :) Some of my most interesting pieces contained vintage buttons or other random things that I came across as a thrifty college student. These were always my favorite pieces, but they didn’t seem to sell very well. It may have something to do with the fact that I priced them really high — maybe I wanted to keep them for myself :)

I recently found my box of vintage buttons and I was so happy. We moved last year and for the life of me, I couldn’t find them. I started to get inspired immediately!

Green Girl Buttons

Green Girl Buttons

Then I got to thinking — maybe Lima Beads should carry a full line of buttons! Green Girl has some pretty cool pewter buttons that I think would be great to use in a necklace or bracelet or as part of the clasp. We already love Green Girl Beads, so it seems like carrying their buttons is a natural choice. I’ve also seen some interesting buttons coming out of the factories and other artisan buttons at some of the shows we attend.

I ran this idea past Kevin and he just laughed. It seems like every week I come up with something new that I want to offer at Lima Beads and I think it drives him crazy! If you think buttons would be cool, help me convince him and the rest of the Lima team!

Rachel says:

You can’t trust guys on these things (sorry, Kevin)! I vote YES for Green Girl Buttons!

2. Tashina Falene
    Tashina Falene says:

I vote yes as well. I would love to see that kind of thing here!

The mermaid button is beautiful! It looks like it would make a beautiful focal pendant.

I LOVE vintage buttons too! I use them as parts of clasps or as pendants. Green Girl has some beautiful buttons, and they would add to your Green Girl line wonderfully. So Kevin here is another YES!!!! vote.

5. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Now now.. to be clear, I have nothing against buttons – I just can’t keep up with Ali. One thing at a time! :)

6. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Green girl buttons-I AM in heaven. I vote yes yes yes!!!

Does this mean I need to add a new section to the web site?! Let’s do it! :)

8. Katrina A
    Katrina A says:

yesyesyesyes please to buttons.and cabochons…..and…vintage?

Judy M says:

Your vintage buttons are beautiful. I’d love to see something like them offered. The green girl buttons are okay but not as good as the real vintage or vintage looking items.

Y Davis says:

Hi,

This is off topic. I saw the ‘new’ by the copper beads section; and the beads are all plated. Any chance of getting large, nice SOLID copper beads on the site, especially plain ones? I’m having a hard time finding them, and I’m not sure why?

Thanks.

11. Leslie W Mtn Chick
    Leslie W Mtn Chick says:

I love vintage metal and pressed glass buttons. I have carried around my grandmother’s stash for about 15 years now making an occasional necklace out of one of them at a time. I can not even think of parting with any of them!!!I am now collecting vintaj parts to create some great jewelry with the buttons. You got me turned on to vintaj items and now I can’t decide whether to buy stones or vintaj items, although I want to buy both!! What a dilemma. How about some vintaj chain and tips on which of your gorgeous stones can be wrapped with your filigree brass items. I don’t ask for much do I? It’s fun to see your business evolve!

12. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Y Davis -

Hello! All of our copper beads are solid (not plated) with the exception of the Stampt items. If they are plated it will say so in the name (e.g. “Stampt Copper (plated)”) — but, otherwise, they are solid copper. Does this make sense? Does anyone have anything to add? :)

-Kevin

Yes. Kevin, why did the header above tour last message come up as “A Bennett”?

Maryse M says:

Kevin,
    I think adding buttons is a great idea because I too am an avid vintage button collector. You know us crazy jewelry designers we are always looking for something new and creative to inspire us (or collect). So why not, go for it. After all it can’t hurt, if anything you will inspire button collectors to come on to your site and buy some of your beautiful beads and maybe they will begin to make jewelry.
    MaryseMM

15. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Kitty -

I’m not sure. We’ve been having a little trouble with our blogging software lately. I am seeing the correct name, but if anyone else notices their name not being displayed correctly, please let us know! We are pulling our hair out with this software!

I think my computer is glitching! (is that a word?)

17. Susan FL
    Susan FL says:

I love buttons, whether they or vintage or not. I also second the motion for cabochons since I am a metalsmith that would love to incorporate matching cabochons and beads in my designs.

L Walden says:

I just started making button jewelry and have not been able to find any web sites that sell the items I need. I am soooo excited you are thinking about carrying vintage buttons or just buttons. I would buy, buy, buy!!

Jewel V says:

Yes – definitely, buttons !!

Hi Ali,

Regarding your comments about trying to add buttons to the Lima Beads stuff you already have, my vote is “YES…more “Green Girl Studio” products yeah! I love their creative, whimsical creations like the mermaid button :)

Joyce

21. harleynshait
    harleynshait says:

We adore our human’s button collection and she uses them for clasps and focal pieces all the time! We think they are fun to play with too! Harley & Shait (Shay) a couple of wild and crazy kitties

Jennifer O says:

I bought these mermaid buttons from Green Girl years ago and used them in a pearl bracelet, so I would love to see Lima carry Green Girl beads — nothing like one-stop shopping!

KarenDe-Challenge Chick says:

I’ve been buying my buttons at fabric stores; they have some nice vintage reproductions, but I’d love to see more variety. Please add buttons!

Waivanne W says:

Vintage buttons are always a plus. A great addition to that special next project. I vote yes! Good luck!

• No PhotoUnarer R said »
    “This narrates you a lot about a company concern theoretical account's military …”