Is My Apartment Haunted?

Posted by rachel on October 31 at 10:15 am

This past weekend, I finally moved into my new apartment! When I first decided to move to Ann Arbor, I tried to find a place really quickly and ended up in a generic, stale apartment complex. For the entire past year, I have been waiting to find a new place that had more charm and a better location. Well, I found it about a month ago and snatched it up immediately because the price was amazing and the location is perfect. I was so excited!

It’s an older building, but maybe only from the 1920′s or 30′s, which, in the grand scheme of things, is not ancient. I believe the landlord said it was originally a single-family home, but has been has been apartments since at least the 1960′s. The reason I know this is because he also mentioned that woman had just moved out recently that had been in the same apartment since 1964! I can’t imagine staying in the same apartment all those years! Needless to say, the place has a bit of history.

The first day I started to move in, a strange thing happened. My mother was helping me move in and just as she was leaving my apartment a woman with a couple of little girls came out of their apartment. One of the little girls, skipping down the hall, stopped in front of my mom, pointed at my door and said “There’s ghost-tss in there.” What?! What would make a five year old girl say such things to a stranger? When my mom told me, all I could think was “Oh boy.” The next day, it came time to move my cats. These cats have moved a few times and while it takes them a bit to adjust, they are always pretty calm about it. However, in this place, it seems to be quite the opposite. They have never acted this frantic! They have been staring at nothing with eyes wide and running around screaming and crying like they don’t know what is happening. Now I know people say that cats are extra-sensitive and are often a good meter of paranormal activity, but I don’t want to believe that at this point!

Have I really rented a haunted apartment?  Just in time for Halloween.  Perfect!

Maybe it’s just mice. Or bats.

The son of one of my best friends just bought his first house, circa 1920′s, a fixer-upper. His cat would spend alot of time staring at the wall in his bedroom. Then he started hearing sounds in the wall, on investigating he followed the sounds to the 3rd floor bedroom. The room had drawers built-in under the eaves. He opened one drawer…nothing, the 2nd drawer…nothing, the last drawer was writhing! He screamed, the cat went crazy, and bats began flying out of the drawer. He grabbed his cat, ran out of the room, shoved a towel under the door and a magnet over the lock, and called the exterminator.

2. Kevin
    Kevin says:

The bad thing about this is that every old house or building creaks and makes noise at night. Now, every little noise you hear is going to freak you out.

I think this makes your apartment a fun place to watch scary movies.

Rachel says:

Okay, I’ll take bats, as long as it’s not a whole swarm of them!

I do believe cats can hear, see and smell things we can’t. But whether they can sense the spiritual realm or not? I don’t know! (And that whole myth about Satin sending cats to do his bidding is just stupid!)

It sounds like that little girl has watched too many scary movies ( which I was never aloud to ,or wanted to, see growing up!).

I Agree with CAS. It’s probably mice that were there, or are there ( yuck! I hate the dirty little vermin! which is part of the reason why we have cats isn‘t it!)

You never know, the little old lady who lived there before you might have had cats. it makes sense. Cats are beautiful, quiet, low maintenance companions. That could be what your cats smelled. Or maybe she had a dog. That would really get cats going!

Congrats on the new apartment!

5. Matt
    Matt says:

You should check out the book “Weird Michigan” to see if your apartment is listed. It’s a collection of hauntings and strange things that have happened in Michigan.

6. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Here is my story-believe it or not. We bought this beautiful old house overlooking the Cascade mountains & Mt.Si for a song b/c the former owner died here.(a heart attack, very sad, in what is now our bedroom. The only strange thing that has happened in the 3 years of living here is a garden out front that we cleared out to start over. We found a hand carved sign (Norm’s Garden.) & ANYTHING that I grow there just takes off. Since I have a “black” thumb & am known for killing things in the plant world makes it particularly amazing. I know this may seem suspicious since it IS Oct. 31st-but that is my “friendly” ghost story!!

Everyone’s been so quiet lately. It’s a little bit . . . spooky.
    Actually it’s a little bit lonely. What’s everybody up to?

Hi Kitty. I was thinking the same thing, no one chatting this weekend. I’m blaming Halloween overload + sugar highs from leftover candy. I’ve been forced (against my will I assure you) to eat leftover kit kat bars. Of course, chocolate is brain food, so I’ve been doing Fresh Picks.

9. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Have missed you all-maybe we can try not to get lost in the holiday fever!!

Welcome back Beadaholchick, missed you too.

hi CAS, hi Beadaholchick. :)

(go chocolate!) I watched movies and ate candy. what did you do on Halloween?

Wow! no kidding about the fresh picks, CAS!!!
    I like “Dreams of Dragonfly Days”, “Ivy and The Garden Gate”, “Spooky Feelings”, and (of corse) “Kitties and cream”. :)
    Oh and “Vote” (just did).

12. Fashion Chick aka SC
    Fashion Chick aka SC says:

HI,Cas! I now have two favorite Butter Pecans,your Fresh Pick and the ice cream!

Good Morning Cuban Queen (Ivy)! Love, love, love your “November Rain” fresh pick. Gorgeous!

14. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

I have to agree w/ you CAS-november rain is beautiful-and very fitting for the Seattle area today. I am going to see if I have anything close to those colors, Cuban Queen-if I don’t,then I’ll have an order for you L.B!!

15. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Just took a closer look @ Just Purple & Embarassed Hush, Kitty & CAS. Sometimes I wish we had a way to comment on what inspired our fresh picks!! (I can hear Kevin groan-all of us could really go on & on w/ that idea!)

Good afternoon (or morning) Beadaholchick. “An Embarassed Hush” was inspired by the Big Green Bead Machine. I’ve been checking out the “machine”, and choosing from the items, combinations that look interesting together. I find that it helps me put stones I wouldn’t normally choose into my “picks”. It’s also alot of fun.

Hey, good afternoon guys! Beadaholchick- I was JUST thinking the same exact thing, that beneath each Fresh Pick there should b a comment box, just like under the pics on MySpace…CAS and Beadaholchick-thanks! I made that Pick this morning after walking the kids to school and it was drizzling out and very foggy…

Hi CAS. I’ve used the machine to put together freshpicks before too (“fall on the bead machine”,
    “go green bead machine” ). It is fun!

Hi Kitty. Who do you think gave me the idea in the first place, “fall on the bead machine” is in my favorite picks. Did you see “Kitties in the Yarn”, it’s another I did with you in mind.

20. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Beadaholchick & Cuban Queen – I didn’t want to say anything too early, but oh well…

We are working on having a comments section for each Fresh Pick! You’ll be able to have a conversation about a specific Fresh Pick and even upload photos of any designs inspired by that pick. The comments will appear on that Fresh Pick’s page, as well as in a special section of the blog where you can follow all Fresh Pick conversation.

This should be ready within a couple of weeks.

Kevin, you & Steve, are just too good to us avid, rabid “Lima Bead”ers. Please know that all your hard work is greatly appreciated. You make the site so easy and fun to enjoy with the “fresh picks”, “fresh daily blog” and “big green bead machine” (“Lunch special” too) that outside of actually beading you’re my favorite distraction.

22. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Hey-this is more exciting than the election;) Thank you Kevin & folks @ Lima beads for always listening to us-THAT is great customer service!! It is so great to hear your inspirations, fellow beaders, I have used the bead machine or weekly specials for a few of mine as well, I just need to get beading & not be on this great site so much!! HAHA

23. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

By the way-haven’t heard from TAB much-I miss your picks-come back!!

I agree with Beadaholchick, TAB your picks are missed.

25. Fashion Chick aka SC
    Fashion Chick aka SC says:

Kevin,you guys are just amazing! It just gets better and better! I appreciate the fact that you listen to your customers and take our suggestions seriously. I look forward to all the new things to come and I know the inspiration from the comments is going to help me a lot.

See, that’s why I can’t get enough of Lima Beads…and beadaholchick, I’m with you–I’ve been doing more “fresh picking” lately than actual beading! lol And yeah, where is TAB?

27. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

I’m so flattered you all would notice me enough to wonder where I’ve been! I would have never expected that. :9 You guys/gals rock my socks. I’ve just been on fall break/election break from college, at home with the boy, but I’m back now. Today is our 8 year anniversary! Woo! And school has me crazy busy. (I graduate in December!)
    I’m super excited about getting to comment on fresh picks soon and show photos of inspired work. Yay!
    I would be so paranoid in that apartment. If really weird things keep happening, you should call those T.A.P.S. guys from Ghost Hunters. I love that show! haha

28. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Nice to hear from you Tab-Happy 8th!!
    No wonder you’re busy if you are so close to graduation. Good luck-let your “beading friends” know how it’s going!!

Congratulations Tab, and Happy Anniversary! You’ll have to bead yourself something spectacular for graduation. It’s good to have you back again. Love your latest “fresh picks”.

Edie l says:

About a haunted house. Maybe your spirit in the house is a poltergeist, which if you do not know, is the spirit of a child, and is just mischevious, not evil. when my sister and i were children, we are sure we had one in our home. we’d leave the room with our toys and dolls and come back and find green ink lines on the dolls’ faces, first i left the room and blamed her and then she left the room and blamed me and then our mom cleaned the dolls and we all left the room and the marks were back, poltergeist wanted to play with us. And i personally am a psychic and i believe my dog can see her sister who went to heaven in September, i miss her and cry a lot, and since then her sister cries and whines and tries to get into a closed closet, i believe she feels her sister. talk to your friendly spirit. Just my opinion

31. Dee
    Dee says:

It would be a good idea to smudge, that is to burn some sage to remove any negative energy. Its something we native americans do…its like some people use incense in church.

you can buy sage online or in whole food markets. Good luck!

32. Dee
    Dee says:

Hi Rachel, its strange how pets are sensitive to the paranormal. My cat chloe would behave weird sometimes, staring at nothing and hissing. I thoughts she was nuts!
    One day I went looking for her and she was on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets..she’s an 18 year old with arthritis..how she got up there I’ll never know, but something really freaked her out! Ive never felt anything negative around me, things go bump in the night, but there’s nothing around. go figure?

Rachel says:

Thanks you guys for all of your suggestions! Dee, I am going to try smudging this weekend actually…I think it would be a good idea regardless. :)

34. cookie
    cookie says:

Try the smudging.

35. Connie B
    Connie B says:

Rachel,
    According to Melody’s book,
    “Flint” has been revered by the ancient tribes of this planet to produce protective energy & to dispel negativity from “haunted” localities.” Get some flint beads…& let me know so I can buy some…lol
    Also, if you smudge make sure you leave afterwards for at least a few hours. When you return open all the windows. Most of all pray with love to send “it” to the light. And don’t make any contact at all with it. Good Luck!

KWB DESIGNS says:

Any update on Rachel’s appartment? I’m egg hunting and couldn’t help but read the blog & comments…