What’s Inspiring You?

Posted by Steve on November 06 at 01:11 pm

Here at Lima we like to focus on the inspiration behind the designs. After all, it’s the reason we created Fresh Picks. It’s the brainstorming… the bad ideas put aside and the good ideas put to use… that wild spark of energy that inspires you to create. Whether you’re a hobbyist or a professional artisan, there’s an inspiration behind every piece you craft. It might be humble, it might be bold, but it’s definitely there–and today, we’d like to offer a way for you to share it with us.

Is it the season? Your friends and family? Fashion trends? The weather? Antiques? Estate sales? Photography? Your peers? The music on your iPod? The city? The countryside? We’d like to know!

Share pictures of your creations!

Starting today, we’ll write special articles on The Fresh Daily that call for pictures of your designs… and you can post them below. When you write a comment below, just click the “Attach a Picture” link, and you can attach up to 3 pictures of your designs along with your comment. This is a special feature that won’t be available for every blog article… so listen for announcements on the blog about new opportunities to share your designs.

So tell us… what’s inspiring you? And post pictures of your designs!

Stories about people and places tend to inspire me. So when I look at colors, textures and beads I listen to what emerges. For instance the wonderful whimsical “Green Girl” beads remind me of all the many fairy tales that I read as a child. Put those together with all the wonderful gemstone beads that Lima offers and – magic happens! :)

Joyce

2. Suleika Alejandra
    Suleika Alejandra says:

Can’t ever say enough about the absolutely beautiful things i buy from Lima Beads. Whether stones, now the findings, metal beads, I am always pleased. All the ways to save makes it possible to keep shopping on a skinny budget too! I am going to try to attach a picture of something I have made with Lima products even if a few pieces in the design (clasp etc.) are from somewhere else, your products always enhance whatever else I am using. If I fail in adding an attachment….sorry, am not a young chickadee and am still learning how to use this computer thing! I will try again another time ok? Well look at that! Thanks Steve! Whatever you did to make it user friendly worked! Pix attached!I have only been beading for a short time, but when I do it, I love it. Beautiful stones to work with make it more enjoyable. Thanks again.

Attachment Attachment Attachment

Joyce, I completely agree about the Green Girl. There’s a story wrapped up in each bead.

Suleika, thanks for sharing! Your pics went through perfectly. My favorite is the set in the middle… so natural and soothing.

Suleika, your Lava stone & Coral set(3rd picture) is utterly stunning, wow!

Steve, thank you, thank you, thank you for listening, and providing us a wonderful way to share!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to show some of my designs (1st I need to take some half decent pictures though).

5. Katrina A
    Katrina A says:

So far this is the only picture of any piece I have made in digital format ( I think I’m dangling a participle of two here) but I don’t think it has any Limabeads….if this pic attached properly though, I have a bracelet I made with smoky quartz cubes and bronze freshwater pears….will see if I can coax a clever person to taking a pic :)

Attachment

6. Katrina A
    Katrina A says:

doh@me..that should read PEARLS, not pears….and what inspired me was the colour of the above poodle :)

7. Suleika Alejandra
    Suleika Alejandra says:

Hola, forgot to add one of the things that inspires me greatly is going over the Lima Beads site! I look at stones, the colors and often check the stone in the “bigger picture” as I can see other colors in a stone which suggests something else and before you know it I am putting an idea together.though I may not be a great photographer I love to photograph clouds and sunrise/sunsets and places, but people also spark ideas or even a piece of fabric…will try to attach pix of what i mean.

8. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

This is fun! I’m inspired by all sorts of things. Mostly nature but also tribal designs (no, not those tattoos, haha), ethnic things, and primitive earthy type of stuff. But I like to make things that can be classy, or funky, or just bright….I dunno, it can vary from day to day.I have so much stuff I could post, I don’t know where to start! I’ll try to pic my three fav’s. :)
    Suleika, your pieces look great. I love the one with the lava stones.

9. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

Oh yeah, and all of those beads are from Limabeads. :)

Tab, I’m humbled by your pieces. Utterly, utterly stunning!!!! I adore your piece that looks like peas and carrots, so clever, and such a cool use of colors. Your Brazilian black stone piece is beautiful, I love that you used lava stone in it. All I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW!

11. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

How Fun!! We thank you L.B for listening to us!! (Now I just need my kids to help me post!!)
    Tab-your pieces are beautiful-do you
    have your own business of just do it for the joy of beading??

12. Fashion Chick aka SC
    Fashion Chick aka SC says:

This feature is awesome!! The pictures presented so far are outstanding. Tab, I see that you like to wire wrap. Can you share any helpful tips on this technique. I recently made two bracelets using this technique and could use a little help.

13. Kevin
    Kevin says:

I’m not much of a jewelry designer, but here are some pictures of what inspires me :)

Attachment Attachment Attachment

Kevin – you might not be a jewerly designer, but you’re certainly a “proud papa”. She is gorgeous.

15. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Awww-what a cutie!!!

16. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Thanks CAS – I can’t help myself. I’m looking forward to seeing some of your designs.

Suleika and Tab – your stuff is awesome. I love that wire wrapped CZ piece Tab. Look at those pearls! Your photos make them look even better than ours. I am so proud of that pearl line. We spent 2 years working on it to find jewelry grade pearls that beaders would be able to actually afford. Seeing them used in such an awesome piece makes me happy :)

17. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Kevin-this fresh pic was inspired by your inspiration! I have 2 “heaven’s inspirations” myself-long past baby stage. Enjoy while you can!!

18. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

Thanks everyone. :) I sell jewelry and a bunch of other things on Etsy, as well as just make stuff for myself.
    As for wire wrapping, I’ve not delved much farther into it than what you see in that pic there. I learned from observing other artist work on Etsy as well as various tutorials that I found Google searching “how to wire wrap” and stuff like that. I’ve not yet attempted anything totally complex. I’ve seen some wire wrappers that get CRAZY!
    Kevin, your baby is way too cute. I love her expression in that second pic, haha!

19. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

P.S. The new beads that just came in are awesome! As soon as this personal financial crisis of mine is over (haha), I can’t wait to get some!

Tab- that first piece with the blackstone doughnut is gorgeous! I love the color combinations and like you, I’m inspired mostly by nature and “ethnic” designs but it varies a lot…I’m just starting my own jewelry business, too, I have a few pieces in boutiques and am setting up an Etsy account…great work, Tab, and glad to see you back!

Here are 3 of my earlier pieces, the first one is with Lima Beads:

Attachment Attachment Attachment

Tab- you gotta tell me what kind of camera you use to photograph your pieces, cuz mine sucks!! lol

Rachel says:

Suleika, I absolutely love the lava necklace! And that sink full of peppers just makes my mouth water! :)

Rachel says:

Also, Tab, your pieces are incredible, too! I

24. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

Thanks! Cuban Queen, Your pieces look great! I love the third one the best. :)
    My camera is a Canon Powershot Pro S3IS. I really love it, it’s a great camera, and when I got it over a year ago it was about $350. It’s probably a bit cheaper now and totally worth it. I love it for the ‘super macro’ mode which lets the camera focus on something as close as right up on the lens, which is extra great for jewelry. :) Also I just really love macro photography so it was definitely the selling point for me. I would suggest it to any online jewelry seller 100%
    Yay! It’s exciting to see peoples work. :) I wanna see moooore! haha

Thanks Tab, I will definitely have to go and check that out, a good camera is so worth the investment because bad pics don’t do the pieces justice…lol

POF Chick Nina says:

This new picture feature is just wonderful. I enjoy looking at the creations of other jewelry designers. They are just beautiful. My finished jewelry stash is quite large, (as is my bead stash). I have a website on
    which I sell my pieces, but sales are very slow at this time. The watch and matching bracelet are designed using vintage beads, the discs amber and grey.The bracelet and earrings are turquoise and amethyst. The necklace and earrings are white fibre optic beads, green and white lampwork and glass heart. This was before Lima Beads. As soon as I get some pieces from LB photographed I will send them along.

Attachment Attachment Attachment

Okay, here it goes. I made these bracelets and earrings “pre-LB”. They’re vintage acrylic/lucite two-hole beads, vintage enameled-metal two-hole beads, “new” lampwork beads and e-beads. I’m sorry about the poor photo quality, unfortunately I can’t reshoot them as I made them for my sisters & sister-in-law. There is a third bracelet/earrings set in pink, but that picture didn’t come out at all well. I hope to post some of my “post-LB” work soon.

Attachment Attachment

28. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

Those look great CAS, I love those beads. :D

29. Ali
    Ali says:

Great work everyone. It’s so nice to see finished products from creative minds. I’ve noticed some interesting techniques.

Thanks Kevin and Steve for making it possible to finally share pictures of our work!

My first picture is of the jewelry I made for my sister’s wedding this past August on the water in Florida – our dresses were a deep delphinium blue.

My next picture is of a pair of earrings I made recently as a gift for a friend.

The third picture is of my favorite necklace right now. I’ve worn it pretty much every day this fall. :-)

30. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

Ali, those all look so awesome! I LOOOOVE the third once especially. I would wear that every day too. :D

An FYI for anyone interested – in the news on-line today (Monday Nov. 10th) a 2,000 year old gold, pearl and emerald earring was found in Jeruselem under a parking lot. They have a picture of it in the article, and it is STUNNING. It certainly inspires me.

32. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Thanks for the heads up CAS. Here’s a photo of the earring and a link to the article for everyone. It’s pretty incredible that they did that 2000 years ago.

Someone tried to tell me once that the popularity of beading was just a trend that would pass. No way — People have been making jewelry forever!

Attachment

33. Suleika Alejandra
    Suleika Alejandra says:

Wow! So glad I checked in today! Tab, amazing work! Love the 3rd pix the most.
    Cuban Queen, , all stunning so I leave it at that! Strong pieces. My daughter-in-Law loves large or odd designs hence, the Lava/Coral piece is hers!She claimed it and I wasn’t even finished!. ALL the pieces show such varying talent! Lima see what you started or added to! Quality and ART!
    Sent some pix along wishing you a beautiful and serene day. If you’re having a hectic one sit and picture yourself in such a calm place!

34. Suleika Alejandra
    Suleika Alejandra says:

Oops! The 3rd pix was part of a series of clouds, that wasn’t the one I wanted to send! (although watching clouds is soothing!)So here are 2 more. The 3rd is of the little frog called a “Coqui” (co-kee) It is the national symbol of Puerto Rico. It starts to sing early in the evening and lulls you to sleep. It is an integral part of the Island and my son managed to pick one up and I got to hold it for a few seconds too. They are so sweet!Even if you don’t like frogs, it is cute right?

35. Suleika Alejandra
    Suleika Alejandra says:

Cas; no need to apologize, your work is beautiful! Classy, retro, but different and new all in one!

My husband and I used to own a Puerto Rican restaurant here in Kingston, NY called El Coqui. I’ve never been to PR but he has many times, his parents are from there but we are planning a trip hopefully soon! And btw, everyone’s pieces are beautiful!

Suleika – love your new pictures. I had the great good fortune of being able to visit Puerto Rico once, and it is a truly beautiful place. I want to sit on that deck looking out at sea, watching the clouds and the little Coqui, and maybe stick my feet in the water. You’ve brought back some very pleasant memories. I wish I was there, it was sleeting here in New Hampshire this morning, yuk.

Juniper Gems says:

I’ve been playing with the vintaj lately. This is a bracelet with african opal, vintaj, smokey quartz, bronzite, and some Swarovski crystal. Almost all of the gemstones are lima beads, of course.

Attachment Attachment Attachment

Juniper Gems – Lovely bracelet! I really like how you arranged the stones, at first glance simple, and then the details start popping out. Nice.

40. Fashion Chick aka SC
    Fashion Chick aka SC says:

Juniper Gems, your bracelet is lovely! It has given me a great idea and I thank you for showing your design. Thanks to you Lima Beads for an awesome site that continues to inspire beaders like myself!

41. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

Since one of this weeks picks from Beadaholic is about this I thought I’d share a video link for you.
    (yes its raining up here – yes it does it frequently)
    If the link doesn’t work its Komotv.com – the power of nature on video

42. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Hi all-we are staying dry but many folks in town have had to head for dryer ground. Snoqualmie Falls is an Awesome sight when that much water is thundering over it. (It literally shakes the floor of the Salish Lodge which overlooks it.) Nice time to sit by a cozy fire & count our blessings:)

Haute Rawx,
    I LOVE Nothing “But the Blood” and “White As Snow”! I like red (and monochrome incase you didn’t notice ;) ) and the white with the single drop of red is so neat! They’re Beautiful! I would definitely wear them!!!

Sandy S,
    “Amazing Grace” is AWESOME!!! It looks stormy and peaceful at the same time. soothing. It would look really good with earth tone clothing or against a bright blue sweater. I’d love to have a necklace made from this pick too!

I LOVE your inspiration! What a beautiful statement these pieces would make!

44. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Sandy S.-I love the colors in Amazing Grace (a song my grandmother used to sing)-the colors are very soothing.

45. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Speaking of songs-Haute Rawx, I’ve noticed that alot of your picks seem to be inspired by songs as well. I really think it’s interesting where we all get our ideas from!! By the way-STILL RAINING here!!:(

I’m always listening to music when I bead or when I do my “fresh picks”, and get a ton of inspiration from them.

Beadaholchick – I’m sorry it’s “still” raining. I hope that you’re high and dry and safe. I was listening to a song by the group SUGARLAND called “One Blue Sky” which may be appropriate for the kind of day you’re having out there.

Hi CAS
    I like “Shake The Beehive”. It’s bright and fun and looks like summer. Besides, you can never go wrong with a good yellow! :)

I really like “Praying To Find One Blue Sky”. It’s so calm and soothing and pretty!

It’s not raining here. But I wish it would! Beadaholchick, can I borrow some of your rain? Stay safe.

I wanted to give a little back story about my fresh pick “The Fire”.

I was returning from a vacation in March several years ago with two friends, and had just finished dropping off my 2nd friend at her home, and was heading home myself. At the end of her road I came to the stop sign (T-junction), and a house that we’d passed 20 minutes before was on fire (The wife got out with one of their dogs, but the fire was too intense for anyone to get back in to get the husband and their other dog out. They heated with wood, and had been having trouble with the stove all day. He fell asleep in front of the stove, and didn’t wake up). A tragedy. I was the 4th person on the scene, and waited for the fire department to come. I took these pictures while waiting. It was a very unforgetable experience.

Attachment Attachment

49. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

ok some pictures that are good for insperation. one is the swimming pool @ sleaping lady (Leavenworth) the last one is a close up of one of the salmon statues @ sleaping lady and the last is a rose I got a shot of just before the Deer arrived for their nightly supper. neadless to say no more roses in the morning. i can’t wait to see what fresh picks you can make of these.

50. Dora H
    Dora H says:

here are a few of my pieces. most beads from Lima beads ( love their beads) the blue aventurine, is a his & her’s set my sister and her boyfriend like their jewelry to match, so it’s close. One is dalmation and coral. and botswana and bullseye agate