Cookie Recipes. Whose is Best?

Posted by Kevin on December 11 at 01:52 pm

Everyone on the Lima Beads team loves cookies. It’s that kind of love that leads to long discussions, just about cookies. I’d have to say that my favorite is the no-bake cookie. I don’t know why, I know it’s probably the easiest cookie to make, I’ve just always loved them. I don’t think we’re the only ones that think more about cookies this time of year. The smell of baking Christmas cookies is filling the house and eating too many cookies is suddenly more acceptable than at any other time of year! Do you have a favorite Christmas cookie?

Chocolate Mint Cookie mmmmm......

Chocolate Mint Cookie mmmmm......

The coffee shop across the street sells a chocolate cookie dipped in mint. I took a picture with my phone and showed our resident super baker, Riki. She said that she had actually tried that very cookie from the coffee shop and that it wasn’t very good. She claimed that she could bake a much tastier version of this cookie, but I’m still waiting for her to prove it to me…

Our love of cookies gave us an idea. What if we could get everyone’s favorite cookie recipes together and choose 5 to make? This would not only lead to a lot of fun with our customers, but also give us an opportunity to eat cookies. We all liked this idea immediately.

If your favorite cookie recipe is a Christmas cookie, that’s awesome, but it doesn’t have to be a Christmas cookie. It could be a chocolate chip cookie, an oatmeal raisin cookie, or some delicious kind of cookie that we’ve never even heard of!

Here’s what we want to do:

Include your favorite cookie recipe in the comments below. On Monday (12/15) we’ll put up a survey that will allow everyone to vote for the recipes they think sound the best. Based on those results, Riki will bake the top 5 cookies and the Lima team will do a blind taste test to see which cookie is the winner! With your recipe, be sure to include:

• A name for your recipe (for the voting)
  • The recipe
  • optional: Any photos of the completed cookies you may have
  • optional: Any supporting information about how tasty these cookies are — how everyone demands that you make them every single year!
  • You can submit multiple recipes, just make sure they’re in separate comments.
Be as specific as possible, because Riki will be baking the cookies from these instructions. We’ll be including some of our own recipes. You can probably guess what mine will be — not that you need a recipe to make them :)

1. Amber
    Amber says:

Yummy Crunchy Cookies!

1 cup plain flour
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup dessicated coconut
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 tablespoon honey
    250 grams butter
    2 cups rolled oats

oven temp. 180 C. for 30 minutes

Mix flour, sugar, coconut and baking powder.
    Melt butter and mix honey through.
    Spoon butter mixture through flour mixture.
    Have a tray with baking paper ready
    Mix in rolled oats
    Make small balls of mixture and put on baking paper and put in oven.

WAIT TILL THEY HAVE COOLED ENOUGH ;-)
    They are gooey when warm but satisfyingly crunchy when cooled!

Now be warned!I have to bake them when the husband is out and then hide them. I have to defend them with my life! Generally before I have time to share them with friends they have vanished.

Oh and keep checking them in oven as one of my ovens needs the 30 minutes but the other only needs 25 minutes…

2. Leslie W Mtn Chick
    Leslie W Mtn Chick says:

This sounds like great fun! I don’t have a favorite recipe to contribute, but hope to have a favorite by the end of the contest. Is there a way we could download all the recipes so we could enjoy making them during the long, cold winter which we all know will continue after the holidays? What a great Xmas or holiday present this would be to each other!!!

3. gingerpear
    gingerpear says:

Ginger’s Chocolate Almond Butter Balls
    This recipe is from Pillsbury’s Best Butter Cookie Cookbook, Volume II (20cents) circa 1950′s

Melt 4 squares Bakers semi sweet chocolate

Cream 3/4 cup butter and
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    Melted chocolate

Add 2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir in 1/2 cup blanched almonds, chopped

Shape into 1 inch balls.

Roll in sugar

Bake

These cookies do not spread. Can place close together.

Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes

1 egg, separated
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
    Raspberry jelly

1. Heat oven to 350ºF.
    2. Mix brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolk in medium bowl. Stir in flour and salt until dough holds together.
    3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Beat egg white slightly. Dip each ball into egg white. Roll in nuts. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press thumb deeply in center of each.
    4. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Fill thumbprints with jelly.

My mom makes these for me every year for Christmas. All my friends and family know that under no circumstances will I share, lol.

Janine B says:

Speculaas

Recipe from House on the Hill website(with my slight modifications)

* 3/4 cup softened butter, preferably unsalted
    * 2 cups brown sugar (spooned, not packed)
    * 1 egg
    * 1 cup ground almonds
    * 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    * 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, cloves, ginger, cardamon, and nutmeg
    * 2 teaspoons cocoa
    * grated rind of one orange
    * 3 cups flour
    * 4-6 tablespoons milk
    * shaved or sliced almonds for undersides and milk for tops

Cream butter and brown sugar together; add egg, almonds, then salt and flavor ingredients, and finally work in flour. Add 4-6 tablespoons milk to make a stiff dough. Refrigerate 30-60 minutes. Roll, print and cut out as in general directions, or if you have Speculaas molds – prepare by spraying with non-stick spray or oiling and wiping off excess (done once for the whole batch).

Flour molds (for every use), knocking out excess. Press dough into mold, then cut excess dough off flush with back of mold with a wire or knife. Unmold carefully onto greased or parchment-lined baking sheet which is sprinkled with the shaved almonds. Brush with milk. No drying is needed before baking.

Bake at 350 degress for 10-12 minutes. Yield 30-90 cookies depending on size.

I made these for the first time last weekend and they were amazing. I took them to an event and everyone was thrilled with them! I’ve attached a photo that I took after they were done. It was really fun using the mold…challenging, but fun.

Attachment

Cynthia o says:

Turkey Balls
    “A buzz in every bite”
    1 C powdered sugar
    2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa
    1/4 C Wild Turkey
    2 Tbs. light corn syrup
    2 1/2 C crushed vanilla wafers
    1 C chopped pecans
    Mix in a large bowl and roll in 1″ balls. Roll the balls in more powdered sugar and voila! No baking!

Riki L says:

Wow! These recipes sound great so far! Cynthia O: Those Turkey Balls sound really intense! Can I substitute Maker’s Mark (my favorite)? Haha!

Janine B: Where does one procure the Speculaas molds? I have always wanted to make those cookies since I saw a picture of them years ago. They are truly an art form. You did a great job!

8. Science Chick Runs Sibes
    Science Chick Runs Sibes says:

Ann Giza Knapp’s Kolachys

1 8-oz package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1/2 lb Butter
    2 cups Flour
    3 Egg Yolks
    1 tsp Baking Powder
    Jam (Strawberry, Raspberry, Blueberry or Apricot work well)

Combine the cream cheese and butter with the egg yolks. Mix in the flour to form a dough. You can cut them together with a biscuit cutter or pulse in a food processor. Chill overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into squares. Alternatively, you can make 1-inch diameter balls and flatten them. Place on cookie tray. Make an indentation in each cookie. Place a dollop of jam in the indentation.

Bake for 35 minutes or until cookie is light golden (about the color of amber).

The recipe for these cookies came from Poland with my maternal grandmother. In fact the original says to cut the flour into the butter/cream cheese. However, I modernized it to use a food processor.

They are a family favorite. In fact, my brother says that it’s not Christmas until my package of Kolachys arrives in the mail.

cHim-prints says:

Elf Keepers
    (Santa’s elves work tirelessly for just one of these yummy bars!)

1 (14 oz.) package caramels
    2/3 cup evaporated milk, divided
    1 (18 oz.) caramel cake mix (Duncan Hines is best)
    ¾ cup butter, melted
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    ¾ tsp cinnamon
    1 ½ cups walnut halves or pieces

Cook caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk over low heat until caramels melt, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.

Combine remaining 1/3 of evaporated milk, cake mix, melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir just until blended. Spread half of dough into lightly greased 9” square pan. (Remaining dough will stiffen as it sits.) Bake at 350 degrees for 10 min. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 min.

Pour caramel mixture over brownie layer in pan. Sprinkle with walnuts.

Divide remaining half of dough into 6 portions. Shape each portion into a 4” circle. Place circles over walnuts in pan, overlapping slightly. (Dough will spread during baking.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and chill thoroughly before cutting. Makes 15 brownies.

cHim-prints says:

There are those who say that Christmas is not complete unless they have one of these -

Exquisite Chocolate Mint Sticks

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
    ½ cup butter
    2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    ¼ tsp peppermint extract
    ½ cup flour
    Pinch of salt
    ½ cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8” or 9” square pan. In double boiler, combine chocolate and butter. Heat over hot but not boiling water until melted and smooth, stirring occasionally. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, melted chocolate mixture and peppermint extract. Add flour and salt, beating until blended. Stir in walnuts. Spread in greased pan. Bake 25 – 30 minutes or until set. Do not overbake. Cool in pan. Prepare Mint Frosting (recipe follows). Spread top of cooled brownies with frosting. Refrigerate until frosting is firm. Prepare Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows). Drizzle over frosting – tilt pan until glaze covers surface. Refrigerate 10 minutes, then cut into 2”x 1” sticks. Store in refrigerator. Makes about 32 cookies.

Mint Frosting
    3 Tbsp. butter, room temp.
    1 ½ cups powdered sugar
    1 ½ to 2 Tbsp. milk or cream
    1 ¼ tsp peppermint extract
    2 – 3 drops green food coloring

In medium bowl, beat together butter, powdered sugar, milk and extract until smooth and fluffy. stir in food coloring.

Chocolate Glaze
    2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
    2 Tbsp. butter

In top of a double boiler, combine chocolate and butter. Heat until melted and smooth, stirring occasionally.

Sapphire says:

CREAM CHEESE DAINTIES
    350* Yield 4 dozen
    1/2 cup margarine
    1 3OZ cream cheese
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
    1 tsp almond flavoring
    1 cup self rising flour
    1 1/2 cup crushed rice
    cereal (rice crispies)
    Red & green candied
    cherries

Cream margarine, cheese
    cheese & sugar well. Add flavorings, mix well.
    Add flour, small amount at5 a time.
    Chill 1-2 hours.
    Shape into 1 inch diameter balls, roll in
    crushed cereal. Place on
    ungreased cookie sheet.
    Press a cherry down into center of cookie.
    Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes.
    Cool completely.

These are favorites with my family during Christmas holidays. My grandson likes to help, especially rolling the dough into balls & ‘smashing’ the cherries into the ball!!

12. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

I don’t have a cookie recipe, but if you plan on doing this again next year, I’ll definitely be thinking about it in the months to come! :D
    Or maybe you could do a cupcake recipe next time. MMmmmmm

Actually, food in general is pretty awesome.

13. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Tab-

You would fit in well here.

14. Gayle L elegance6com
    Gayle L elegance6com says:

No-Bake Fudgy Cookies (formerly Thompson Cookies)

2 Cups sugar
    1/4 lb margarine (do not substitute with butter spreads)
    1/3 Cup cocoa
    1/2 Cup milk
    1/2 Cup peanut butter
    4 cups wheaties or other breakfast cereal OR
    3 cups, if oats (not instant oatmeal)
    1 tsp vanilla

To prepare the setting pan, place wax paper on top of open newspaper to the size of approximately 20” long. A different option is to place the wax paper on a couple of cookie sheets, but when the newspaper is used, there is nothing to clean.

Put first four ingredients in a 3 qt. sauce pan. While stirring constantly, on medium low heat, mix the ingredients and melt the margarine. Raise the heat to medium high and bring to boil. Lower the heat to medium; Boil for 1 to 4 minutes, without stirring, until it reaches pre-softball stage, described as follows: When 1 tsp of mix is placed in a cup of cold water, then lifted with your fingers, the mix will form a heavy strand but not yet a soft ball.

Remove from heat and add the peanut butter and vanilla. After mixed, add the cereal. (I always use oats.) Mix thoroughly. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper in the shape of cookies. Allow to set. Store in air tight container.

These scrumptious cookies have a long history in our family. I changed the name because the original name, Thompson, was not descriptive of the creamy, fudgy texture of these cookies. It all began when we were rambunctious, loud teenagers and Nancy Thompson’s mother would make these cookies to quiet us down. It worked because we would quietly nibble them while watching The Monkees or Get Smart. Could not talk with those luscious cookies in our mouths.

Cut to 50 thousand or so years later… Today as an adult with adult children of my own, over the years and for many events, I had often made them. Sadly, four years ago, our 19 year old son passed on to a better world and I have not baked anything or celebrated any holiday since that time. This year something changed. I started feeling more fortunate and thankful for the family and love that I do have and felt like baking again. What did I make? You guessed it. Both my husband and adult son are most happy that I chose these cookies… I cannot keep them in the house very long, but I found they last longer if I hide some for myself or if I doubled the recipe, another day longer could pass before hearing, “Can we have Thompson cookies for dinner tonight?” We all love them! These are truly a special comfort food.

But, why are they disappearing so fast?

Attachment Attachment Attachment

15. Gayle L elegance6com
    Gayle L elegance6com says:

The pictures in the above recipe were published smaller than I realized so the caption in the middle picture cannot be read. The little mystery story is lost without the caption. Here it is: The snowman,eerily, stands close by.

16. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

Ginger Snaps (from the Ginger people)

My husband says that these are addictive. The pieces of candied ginger add an extra spicy hot taste. I like the heat of the ginger so I use more than the original recipe.

3/4 butter
    1 c Sugar
    1/4 c dark molasses (can increase to 1/2c)
    1 egg
    2 c flour
    1/2 tea ground cloves
    1 1/2 tea ground ginger (you can use 1/2 tea if you prefer)
    1 tea ground cinnamon
    2 tea baking soda
    1/2 tea salt
    3 1/2 oz crystallized ginger chips (minced)

Cream butter and sugar; add egg continue mixing; mix dry ingredients together and add to wet; mix well together and then add ginger chips.
    Refrigerate dough for 1 hour then put rounded teaspoons of dough on pan and bake.
    (If you have a Splat mat it will prevent the bottoms from burning.)
    Bake @ 375 8-10 minutes makes 3 dozen These are best after cooling and getting crunchier. Dough also freezes well.

17. CrazyBeadinSister
    CrazyBeadinSister says:

MONSTER COOKIES
    3 eggs
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    3/4 tsp. vanilla
    3/4 tablespoon light Karo syrup
    2 tablespoons baking soda
    1 stick margarine
    12 oz. crunchy peanut butter
    4 and 1/2 cups quick oats
    4 oz. chocolate chips
    4 oz. plain m & m’s

Mix first 7 ingredients together then add peanut butter,oats,choc. chips and m&m’s.
    Bake @ 350,bake til gooey about 8 to 10 mins.

I baked these cookies for my husband’s football team he coaches and they lasted about 4 seconds. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel says:

Bonnie R: You have my vote for the Ginger Snaps! I love ginger and these sound wonderfully spicy!

19. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Gayle L.-I was touched by the story you told with your cookie recipe. It is a good reminder to me that what counts during this season especially are the people I love & care about. I think this is a great idea L.B-it is a good chance to see what we do when we are not beading!! Can’t decide on which of my own to send, maybe I’ll just concentrate on trying some new recipes this year:)

20. Eeka Mouse
    Eeka Mouse says:

Lemon Almond Shortbread

These are my favorite cookies. They are good with cold milk, hot coffee or even red wine. Also, because the cookie logs can be frozen, you can keep one in the freezer for cookie emergencies!

3/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup almonds
    Zest of 1 lemon
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 stick (1/4 lb) unsalted butter
    3/8 cup granulated sugar

1. Grind almonds, lemon peel and 1/4 cup flour (I use a blender) until nuts are finely ground.
    2. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add nut mixture, then stir in remaining flour, cornstarch and salt.
    3. Form into two 1 to 1 1/2 inch diameter logs, wrap in waxed paper or clingwrap and refrigerate until firm enough to slice, about 2 hours. (You can also freeze at this point. If well-wrapped, the frozen logs will keep about a year.)
    4. Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut chilled or frozen log into 1/3 inch slices, place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake approximately 20 minutes.

Gluten-free version:
    Replace the flour with 3/4 cup rice flour plus 4 tablespoons potato flour.

21. Kevin
    Kevin says:

I was going to enter a no-bake recipe, but now that I’ve seen the recipe for Gayle’s “Thompson Cookies” — what’s the point???

Those sound unbelievable, especially for someone that loves no bake cookies.

You have my vote Gayle!

Rachel says:

Pistachio-Rosewater Cookies

From the book Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
    Total Time 35 minutes
    Yield 32 cookies
    Introduction

Pretty as a picture, these delectable disks are studded with jadelike pistachio nuts and are delicately scented with rosewater. Lime juice and zest add a little citrus kick. A perfect end to your Persian feast, or even just some Middle Eastern takeout.
    Ingredients
    1¼ cups sugar
    ½ cup canola oil
    3 Tbsp. rice or soy milk
    1 Tbsp. rosewater
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
    1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
    ¼ cup cornstarch
    1¾ cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    ½ tsp. salt
    ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
    ½ cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
    Steps

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets with vegan shortening or margarine.
    2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, rice or soy milk, rosewater, vanilla, lime juice, and zest. Add the cornstarch and whisk until dissolved. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom. Mix well.
    3. Roll the dough into balls about 2 teaspoons in size (a bit smaller than a walnut) and dip the tops into the chopped pistachios. Press down with two fingers; the dough will flatten a bit and the pistachios will collect on the bottom.
    4. Place the cookies, nut side up, about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. You should be able to fit 16 on a standard baking sheet. Bake for 13 minutes; they will be soft but will firm up as they cool.
    5. Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheets for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before serving.

Notes

You can replace the pistachios with almonds. The easiest way to chop them is by pulsing them in a food processor several times.

This content is from the book Veganomicon by Isa Chandra

23. Ali
    Ali says:

Chewy and Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies.
    How do I do this you ask? Butter and lots of it. :-)

I used to be crazy for Martha Stewart when I was in college, once I graduated and entered the real world I realized that there wasn’t enough time in the day to be as perfect as Martha.

This recipe however is delicious and relatively easy, but make sure the eat these cookies within a few days, they will start to lose their chewiness.

This recipe will make approx. 30 4″ cookies
    I prefer to use organic free range ingredients wherever/whenever possible and I typically use sea salt rather than standard table salt. It’s up to you whether you feel comfortable crossing Martha Stewart :-)
    Also depending on the time of year a few dashes of All Spice makes the cookies extra special.

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    3 cups packed light-brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    4 large eggs
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    (I recommend Godiva chips)

Preheat Oven to 375°
    Combine flour, salt & baking soda in bowl and set aside.
    Beat butter in a electric mixer until smooth. Add sugars and beat until well mixed and fluffy.
    Beat in the eggs and vanilla until well mixed, but don’t over do it. Add in the flour mixture from earlier until well mixed.
    Now you can add the chips – mmm! (you might want to buy an extra bag of chips because if you’re anything like me I get a handful and the cookies get a handful)
    Place golf ball size lumps of dough on a non stick cookie sheet about 3 or more inches apart. Once the cookies start to bake they really spread out.
    Bake for 8 minutes, rotate your cookie sheet after 4 minutes.

Your cookies should come out golden brown and super thin with a chewy center and crunchy edge.

Attachment

24. Matt
    Matt says:

Oreo Truffles or Carolina Snowballs

1 pkg. Oreo cookies, finely ground (you can use double stuff, regular, or peanut butter)
    1 – 8 oz. pkg. softened cream cheese
    1 pkg. White or Milk Chocolate baking Chips

Microwave the Cream Cheese for 15-20 seconds until soft. Blend crushed Oreos and Cream Cheese together well with fork. Place in fridge for one hour.
    Roll into bite sized balls then dip into melted chocolate and cool on wax paper.
    If you’d like, decorate with colored sugar or drizzle with left over chocolate.

The center of these truffles looks almost exactly like mud, hence the name: Carolina Snowballs.

25. Leslie W Mtn Chick
    Leslie W Mtn Chick says:

Dear Matt,
    Our snowballs in High Country North Carolina don’t look like mud!!!

26. Matt
    Matt says:

Sorry Leslie W! I’ve never actually seen a Carolina Snowball. I guess Florida Snowball would be more appropriate. :)

MMMM!! Matt, I’ve been making the Carolina Snowballs for a couple of years now and they are really good. However we live in Indiana
    so to us they are just Oreo Balls.
    But I also learned just this weekend that the recipe came from my sister-in-law in North Carolina. I wonder if they originated there?
    When I make them I usually use mint flavored Newman O’s and then coat them in semi-sweet chocolate chips. If you like chocolate-mint it’s a real winner!!

28. Kevin
    Kevin says:

OK everyone – we’re getting all the recipes together and tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, you’ll be able to vote for your favorites. If you have any recipes to add, be sure to add them by the end of tonight!

Kevin

29. Gayle L elegance6com
    Gayle L elegance6com says:

Kevin, thanks for your fun words about my recipe.
    Beadaholchick, thank you for your nice words, too.
    Happy Holidays to you all!

Don’t forget to vote for your favorite!

Ida T says:

Gayle L. is my older sister (No Bake Fudgy Cookies AKA Thompson Cookies, and after she tasted these cookies at Nancy’s house she had our mom make them. Of all the cookies my mother must have baked through the years, these are the ones I remember. I have made them for my own kids and their friends, and now they make them on their own…but doubling the recipe is never enough…we TRIPLE it! One thing we love to do with them is after they set, put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. YUM!

Don’t be alarmed if you hear a small voice in the distance…it’s the cookies calling your name! “Come eat me!” Enjoy!