The Necklace is Finished!

Posted by Matt on December 17 at 11:17 am

Front - click to zoom

Sorry it’s taken me so long to give you all an update on the status of Deidra’s necklace. As you could imagine, things get pretty crazy around here around the holidays.

If you’re not familiar with the situation, let me get you up to speed. For Christmas this year, instead of buying each other gifts, my wife and I have decided to make them ourselves. You see, we’re newlyweds making an effort to save some money for a new house.

Up until a couple of days ago, I hadn’t really touched the bead board since picking out the beads for the necklace and laying them out. Oftentimes, when I’m designing a graphic or new page layout for the website, I’ll think my product is really top-notch after I finish it. But after a couple of days, I’ll go back to it and think to myself: “What was I thinking?” I’m sure you all can relate when you’re designing jewelry.

Back - click to zoom

Even though the bead board sat untouched in the office for a couple of weeks, I never got sick of the design laying on top of it. From your comments on the last post, it sounds like you guys liked it just as much as I did. So, instead of fiddling around with the design and letting it sit for another couple of weeks, I decided that I would just go for it.

I’m really glad that I went with the original design because I really like the finished product. If you’re up for a good laugh, you should watch the video. I really don’t like being filmed, so you can tell that I’m a little nervous. I didn’t count, but I must have said “and, um…” about 5 or 6 times throughout the video. Try not to make too much fun!

After seeing the finished product, I’m glad that I decided to publicly embarrass myself. The guys here at work are never going to let me live this one down. That’s OK, because I know that Deidra will be thrilled when she receives her handmade piece of jewelry this Christmas. I’ll try to catch her reaction on camera, but I don’t know if she’ll let me put it on the blog. Either way, I’ll let you know how things went.

You need Flash 8 to view this movie.

1. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Wow Matt, that turned out really well. She is definitely going to love it.

The only question now is… where do you hide the camera to capture her reaction?

Matt – The necklace is lovely, Deidra should LOVE IT!

So, how was your first experience beading? I didn’t hear too many “and, umm”‘s. Are you about to join the ranks of us avid beaders? You realize, of course, that you will now be expected to make little beaded gifts for all holidays and special occasions (just pulling your chain alittle).

Congratulations! Job (labour of love) well done!

Matt, the necklace is beautiful. It’s colorful and muted at the same time, has lots of detail and texture and is very interesting to look at. You did a great job and I’m sure she will really love it, especially because you made it yourself. Those are the best kinds of gifts because they come from the heart. Can’t wait to see her reaction! (By the way, you didn’t look nervous at all :) )

4. Tammy Jo
    Tammy Jo says:

Gratz Matt! on your first necklace.
    I love the warm tones and the textures. I also love the chrysocolla that you put in there and how it brings out the golden browns. She will love it! Not only because it is beautiful, but also because you made it. :)

Classy Chick JbyJill says:

Matt,
    Very Cool!! How surprised she will be when she opens her present. She will be overwhelmed knowing you made it with love!

Matt,
    I’m impressed! For your first necklace AND multi-strand as well, you did a fantastic job. I love the color combination too.
    If I were Deidra I would certainly love recieving that necklace from my better half. A VERY thoughtful and loving gift.
    Can’t wait to see Deidra’s reaction.

So, what do you think now that it’s finished, do you like beading? Did you get the beading bug?
    Mary S

7. Shannon aka Silly Chick
    Shannon aka Silly Chick says:

Matt,

You imagined and brought to life a TREASURE of a necklace! Each time she looks at it she’ll find a new favorite bead and a new reason to love it! It’s substantial and understated at the same time, and best of all it will go with almost anything she wears. Well done!!

8. Matt
    Matt says:

Thanks for the amazing feedback!
    Even though, I had a great time making the necklace, I don’t know if I’ve caught the “beading bug.” That’s not to say that I won’t be making anymore beaded jewelry, but I just don’t think I’m going to make it a hobby.
    Maybe I’ll make my Mom a necklace or earrings for Mother’s Day. Who knows?

9. Leslie W Mtn Chick
    Leslie W Mtn Chick says:

Congratulations Matt!!!
    You know, I still get nervous when I add the last crimp bead to my work. I think one of the main reasons I love to bead is that it is so economical. If I make a mistake, or just get tired of what I have made, I can just take it apart and recycle the beads and findings. I’m only out a bit of wire and crimps so what could be safer? Great work on your fun, funky design, and Merry Christmas to all you great folks at Limabeads.com!!!!!

Shelia B says:

That was a first time project?! Coulda fooled me! It is fabulous. Creative energy was definitely flowing alongside that lovey dovey feeling. She will cherish it for sure. Congrats & I bet you will get orders for more!

11. Haute Rawx
    Haute Rawx says:

Matt,
    Very well done. Your wife will love it and you are to be commended for your great sense of style. Also, you encourage other men to consider making something for their wives that they can always cherish and also hand down to their sons or daughters. Way to go!

Haute Rawx

Oh, yes, she’ll be happy with it! I love all the colors you’ve chosen. It’s nice to see the finished product. I think it would go with any outfit, and any season. Now I’m going back to watch the video.

13. Steph
    Steph says:

That is such a beautiful and eclectic necklace. I have so many left over beads now I know I can make another nice gift also. Beats sitting in a jar.

14. beadaholchick
    beadaholchick says:

Can’t wait to show this to MY husband! (heehee)

Shelby says:

Definitely one of a kind.