Spring Trends – To Follow or NotPosted by Ali on February 04 at 07:51 pm
I like fashion and funky patterns and bright colors. I love John Galliano and Betsy Johnson. I like making something unexpected out of something expected. I love surprises in designs that you don’t notice right away but when you do, it’s special. I enjoy reading blogs and articles related to the fashion industry. These things definitely affect my designs, but do I follow what I see and read or do I take my own path?
Let’s talk about what’s hot for Spring 2009:
- chunky drop earrings
- structured necklaces close to the neckline – almost like chokers, but not. Some call these bib necklaces.
- colored stones – mixing colors, going bold and bright with your selections.
- yellow gold – Not something I’ve ever used a lot of, but I think I’m going to order some gold findings and see what happens.
- oversized necklaces
- geometric shapes
- multi everything – multi layered, multi textured, multi strand
- clusters of pendants or charms or filigree – this is very open to interpretation (this is my favorite, I made a necklace in October knotting different pieces to chain)
- Renaissance style carvings – cameos, intaglios. Sounds like it’s time to go antiquing, yeah!
Pantone has named Mimosa as the color for 2009. It is a fun energizing shade of yellow – this color could make anyone happy.
They have also named the colors for Spring 2009. They remind me a mix of crocuses, hyacinths, grass, daisies and hope – for the cold to be gone.
As beaders, we have to balance an awareness of color and style trends with our own creativity. If we follow the trends too closely, we risk not being unique. If we ignore them completely, we risk reduced sales of our jewelry to fashion conscious buyers
I’ve always tried to use fashion trends as loose guidelines and put them in the back of my mind. I let them help me make design decisions, but I don’t allow them to define my direction.
We’d love to hear what you have to say about Spring 2009:
- What will your inspiration be?
- Which spring colors will you be loving?
- Will you focus on necklaces, bracelets, earrings….? We’ve noticed a lot of people making more earrings.
- What do you think of the direction of fashion right now? Too many 80s flashbacks to handle?
- Have you started on spring designs? Show us photos!