Getting some Ink

Posted by Ali on March 19 at 02:39 pm

How to submit your designs to magazines

If you are anything like me, you have browsed the beading magazines. My personal favorites are Stringing and BeadStyle. I am more drawn to these 2 mags because the featured designs usually have a nice fashion focus and aren’t too technical. Both Stringing and BeadStyle have projects geared toward the beginning beader as well as longtime beaders interested in stringing and wire wrapping. The projects in either of these mags shouldn’t take more than a few hours for someone to complete. Most of them are from people like you and me that submit their designs in the hopes of being published and inspiring other beaders. Occasionally, the editors and staff at these magazines end up creating pieces to be published because they need something in particular that they weren’t able to find in the submissions. Plus, isn’t it nice to see the editors and staff can design too?

At Lima Beads we get constant requests from people asking how to get their names and designs out there. Hopefully the information we provide today will be helpful.

I spoke with Danielle Fox (editor of Stringing, Beads 2008, & Bead Star magazines), Erin Dolan (editorial assistant at Bead Style Magazine), and Cynthia Thornton (Green Girl Studios & well known jewelry design contributor to magazines). Pooling the knowledge from these 3 was very helpful. I have read the submission guidelines for the magazines in the past and have felt a bit hesitant about sending in my pieces. Do they keep my design forever, will I be rejected, do I get paid, how do I know what they want?
These are all questions I have asked myself and I’m pretty sure you have wondered as well. I am hoping to put all those questions and hesitations to bed.

Stringing Magazine

stringingTheir submission guidelines can be found here: Contributor Guidelines. Here’s the down-low: Danielle Fox (editor) says and I quote “We are looking for new people.”
However, they do still appreciate their past contributors and will look at all designs on a level playing field.
Danielle let me in on some important things to keep in mind when considering one of your pieces for submission to Stringing:

• Craftsmanship, Craftsmanship, Craftsmanship
  • The scale of your piece is appropriate for someone to actually wear, not hang on their wall :)
  • Look at past issues to get a feel for the types and styles of the designs that are a good fit for Stringing.
  • Make sure to consider the themes for each issue loosely laid out in the submission guidelines. This will give you an advantage because you can design something appropriate for the focus of that particular issue or section.
  • Instructions are not something that your acceptance is based on. Danielle just says to do the best you can. They end up editing the instructions anyway to fit the format of the magazine. The most important part is a thorough materials list.
  • Be unique in your style, while not being too complicated
  • Pay attention to the deadlines for particular issues – if you want to send in a submission for consideration via email, it needs to be sent at least 2 weeks before the deadline. They will contact you and let you know if you should send the instructions or that your design won’t work at this time and to please try again. If you miss the 2 week deadline, you can still send in your piece with instructions to their office (see the submission guidelines). Try to take advantage of the email submission process. This will save you a lot of time.
  • Don’t just send in one piece. Try a few (up to 4 per issue). You will have a better chance of getting a piece selected. Yeah!
  • Keep up with the fashion on TV and in the magazines while definitely adding your own spin… Stringing and BeadStyle both have a strong focus on fashion.
  • Stringing doesn’t usually publish sets of jewelry. That doesn’t mean that you can’t submit a set, maybe the necklace will be chosen for project page and the bracelet for the gallery. The project pages are usually necklaces.
  • You get your pieces back, but know that if your design(s) are being published in the magazine, you won’t get them back for a few months. They hold onto the piece until the issue has been published.
  • Last but not least you get PAID – necklaces earn more than bracelets and bracelets more than earrings.
  • Once the issue publishes and they receive it in house, a complimentary copy of Stringing along with your design(s) and a check are sent to you.
  • If you didn’t get accepted for the issue, Danielle asks that you please not get discouraged and to keep trying!

BeadStyle Magazine

BeadStyleTheir submission guidelines can be found here: Submitting Content to the Magazine. Important things to remember and take into account when submitting a design/s to BeadStyle Magazine are:

• Keep your design submissions cool and funky and fashionable, without the stitching and weaving.  They won’t accept projects with these techniques.
  • A good supplies list, especially for those unique or hard-to-find items.
  • Make sure your submission has most of its components or similar components readily available from a retail source online.  Examples of exceptions to this are if you have a super unique handmade one-of-a-kind component, but someone could substitute in their own super unique handmade one-of-a-kind component, or if one or some of your components are vintage. You just need to make sure to tell them that.
  • Photography –
    • BeadStyle does not require a physical piece up front. You submit a photo first. I think that most people probably have a camera that is digital so this is the quickest option.
    • Take good pictures. Try not to have much else in the picture other that the pieces you are submitting. Avoid using pictures that have rocks and twigs and flowers in them .  You can send in more than one picture of a piece – different angles, close-ups, on a jewelry neck, etc…
  • BeadStyle doesn’t ask for instructions. They will write basic instructions for their readers.
  • There are no submission deadlines, because they’re not based on any one issue.
  • When you submit to BeadStyle, that includes both the magazine and their website.  The decision is theirs.
  • As with any design, you need to make sure that you are the originator of the design. They can’t publish a design that you completed in a class, saw somewhere online, or copied from another piece. Another important thing to remember is that they would appreciate you not submitting a piece that you are submitting to another magazine or that has been previously published.
  • All the designs that have been submitted are pooled 1-2 times per month and the editorial staff  selects the pieces and places them with the appropriate magazine issue.
  • You will be contacted either way as soon as a decision is made. If your piece is selected, you will be told what it is being held for. As with Stringing, you will not get your piece back until the issue has published.
  • BeadStyle also pays for pieces that are selected. The check however, will typically not be arriving with your returned piece of jewelry.
  • Erin says “Don’t be discouraged and keep trying. If your piece didn’t get selected that doesn’t mean we don’t want you or what you are doing, so keep submitting.”
  • Remember, you need to be selective in what you submit. Pick 5 you are proud of and think are strong and send them!

After speaking with the mags, I called up Cynthia from Green Girl Studios. I’m sure you have seen her jewelry designs in Stringing Magazine and her fantastical pewter bead designs on Lima Beads. She is an avid contributor so I thought her insights would prove valuable. She says it is very important to design season appropriate – colors and styles of jewelry. Keep in mind that in the winter most people will not be wearing tank tops! Don’t forget about the theme — it can really help you become more focused on the components and style you  choose to design with. If you send in 3-4 pieces, they may end up wanting to hold onto them for a later issue. Cynthia also told me with a laugh that you get really good service at stores and restaurants if the person waiting on you has seen you in the magazines. :)

There are a lot of magazines out there.  Just because these two were highlighted doesn’t mean that you should only submit to them. If  another magazine “speaks” to your style of beading better, then consider becoming a contributor. Most magazines have websites with published submission guidelines.

If anyone has submitted their designs, please share your stories, successes, trials and tribulations. We’d love to hear what you have to say. As for me, I plan on trying out this whole submission process with Stringing and BeadStyle very soon. I will be first timer like many of you, so I’ll make sure to keep you posted!

Thanks for the great info! I’ve always wanted to submit my pieces, but have been more than a little intimidated by those already featured. Questions always pop into my head such as ‘Will mine be good enough or will they hate it?’ being at the top of the list. In the end, I opt not to do it. Your post makes me realize I am not the only one with the same worries. Maybe it’s time to ‘just do it’. Thanks again for sharing!

Alice

2. Mademoiselle M
    Mademoiselle M says:

Thanks for the info!
    I think I’ll try now :)

Juanita P says:

Great article indeed: the WHO, WHAT, and WHERE just linded up like the beads on a sparkling necklass.
    One of the nicest things; the kind and friendly “voice” of the author.
    Excellent!

4. kcdesigns AKA sporty
    kcdesigns AKA sporty says:

I have been wishing someone would just tell me how to get something in one of these magazines. These are the magazines that I like to look at too. thank you for this article- I cant wait to send some pieces in and see what happens.

Rainbow Chick says:

I quit counting the number of times I was told “It couldn’t hurt to try”. Don’t worry about them not liking your piece… everybody has different likes and it’s ok. Just try with another one and keep going. Nobody is going to hate all of them!

6. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

This is SOOO helpful, thanks!!!

Ali,

thanks so much for talking to the folks at both Beadstyle and Stringing magazines, along with Cynthia Thornton, very helpful to know what they look for! :) I have seen Cynthia’s past designs in Stringing magazine and love each design she has had, each is very whimsical and creative.

Joyce

8. Leslie W Mtn Chick
    Leslie W Mtn Chick says:

You know, you folks at Lima Beads have spent a lot of time and effort setting up a safe and encouraging website to promote your business. I think a lot of us would feel more comfortable and accepted submitting some of our designs here at the Lima website. The comments I have read here are always very encouraging and I think you have attracted a really nice group of bead artists. I think I read once in the past that you wanted to set up a separate section on the website for us to share our designs. This might be a great place for us to “get our feet wet” without having to be “judged”. Thanks for the article.

9. Janis G
    Janis G says:

Thanks, I too have wanted to submit items but wasn’t quite sure “how to”.
    I did this week launch my web site and have been a nervous wreck. Check it out for me and give me feed back. jewelrycreationsbymimi.com, I need total honesty. That’s how we grow with constructive criticism. Thanks again.
    Janis

Congratulations Janis G!!!
    Cool, looks good to me.

Looks great to me!!!

Hi, Janis G! Thanks for sharing about your web site. I know exactly how nervous you feel :) I get that a lot when we’re making updates to the Lima site.

Overall I’m impressed that you’ve been able to put together such an extensive site! I found it easy to get around, and I liked the consistency in your photos. One comment I have is that it might be useful to link to the shopping cart from the left-hand side of your site. I realize it’s linked at the very top–but I didn’t see that at first. Nothing major :) Just my opinion.

Great job!

Jeannes Gems - Gem Chick says:

Janis,
    The website is great! I’m very impressed. Your prices are very reasonable. Good Luck!

14. JewelsOutofTime
    JewelsOutofTime says:

AKA:Joot

Hi Janis,
    Your website design is very inviting and I enjoyed your jewelry. I would like to pass on some suggestions about your photos: MOST pieces show up best on white with a darker background – compare a couple of your own shots. Use the close up setting and zoom in as far as you can. You’ll need a really steady hand or a tripod. My own suggestion: You don’t have to show all the back beads when you’re using a display piece. I don’t know if yours have wire keepers or not but find some way of yanking the necklaces up so the focal area is front and center. If you want to show the whole necklace, do a second photo with the piece out flat.

You have a great site – Now start networking so it turns up on serches.

Way to go,
    Joot

Attachment Attachment

How do you take pictures (like the 2nd picture) without having shadows?

kohl says:

If you have already invested much in the photos you have, another way to get closer would be to crop with a photo editor.
    I do agree with Joot, With almost the entire display in the photo the focus becomes the display ( especially with it repeated same size.) but it does look like you could crop what you have.
    Good Luck!

Janis. I was browsing through your website again (very fun!) and I just noticed that you had information about the gemstone properties & meanings. I just wanted to let you know that I found that was very helpful! Thanks again!

18. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

Janis, great job on the site! I really love your colorful pieces. :D And my only suggestion would be to have more than one pic of each piece, with some very close up shots. Good luck to you!!

19. Janis G
    Janis G says:

Oh my goodness!!!!Thank you all sooooo very much for all your comments and suggestions. I don’t have the files for the photos so I don’t think there is anything I can do with most of them. The ones that I have made myself, I can and will try and do so. I’m having a really hard time working with ZenCart, are any of you familiar with it? One time I can upload with no problems and the next time it drives me crazy!! Notice the diff. in size, can’t get them the same size as the majority of pics. I’ll just keep trying. Thanks again everybody you are the GREATEST!!!!!

20. Janis G
    Janis G says:

Joot, what do you mean by networking so that it will turn up on searchs? Also, what do you have your camera set on to get those nice pics? Sorry you answered huh???!!!
    I appreciate you!!!
    Janis

21. Dora H
    Dora H says:

Janis G, nice site and lovely work…Good Luck…

Nanette Z says:

Janis G, Just in case you didn’t know, the Beading Daily website may have the info you’re looking for, for taking photos of your finished beaded designs. I know they did awhile ago! Good luck with your venture!!!

23. Celticcrossing
    Celticcrossing says:

So I’m skimming these blogs for the Easter Egg & I come across this one. LOVE it!!

Especially since I’ve only just (and I mean yesterday just) submitted my own first submission to a magazine. So now I wait on tender hooks for the next week to waiting to see if I’m accepted!

This is an awesome thread/post though. Great tips that I plan to keep in mind and print off for my next submission.

Thanks so much!!♥
    Oh and if you’re curious this is what I submitted.

Attachment