Early Risers and Night Owls

Posted by Steve on April 30 at 08:52 am

Getting up in the morning has never been my strongest suit. It’s probably because I’ve been a night owl most of my life, trying to squeeze out every last living second of the day before succumbing to sleep. But over the years, out of necessity and curiosity, I’ve tried to transform into an early riser. So, I wanted to take a little poll from our creative audience: are you an early riser or a night owl?

Here are some observations I’ve made about myself on both sides of the coin…

Me as an early riser: Breakfast is necessary. Put the alarm 10 feet away. Routine is key. Clear your mind the night before. Have your clothes laid out and coffee ready to brew. Try not to snooze it (haha).

Me as a night owl: My best work is done at night. Snack, but don’t chow down. Drink water all night, not Mountain Dew. Waking up naturally is the best. Avoid infomercials, they are evil incarnate.

I’ve got my theories. Now let’s hear it from you: where do you lie (no pun intended)?

1. Sandy S
    Sandy S says:

You may not know the In between hours as of yet. After being an early riser for work and getting the kids to school. Then getting a third shift work rotation and getting to all the other normal things like sleepng. I now am semi-retired and can sleep how ever long I need but still get most of my work done early.

Suzie-Q says:

Early morning is great! Everything is fresh, the birds are greeting the day, everything is a new beginning! Granted, I love my sleep, but I just have to take a powernap if I need it.

I am definitely a night owl! My energy level increases as it gets later in the evening and I am more productive in those late hours. If I didn’t have to sleep, imagine what all I could accomplish! LOL :-)

Ok Steve, that had to be pun intended! ;)
    I am a night owl! I can’t fall asleep at a decent hour (just can’t!) and mornings hurt! I’d rather stay up than get up!

I agree with Kitty Chicky Cat — I’d rather stay up than get up, too! If I have to be somewhere super-early in the AM, sometimes I just stay up all night rather than get just a little bit of sleep before trying to get up. Not often, just sometimes. :-)

I’m a night owl! I like to stay up until 12 (although I’m only allowed to on the weekends) and then I usually sleep in until 9 (ok, maybe 9:30 or 10) the next morning. I seriously have to be pulled out of bed! :D The only way I’ll wake up early is if it’s before 7 (but after 6), otherwise I sleep in…weird huh?!

I’m an early riser. I like to get the day started. If I stay in bed too long I get so draggy feeling and I don’t get much of anything done.
    I love mornings; sun rising, birds singing and a fresh start! I fizzle out in the evenings. Brain goes on auto pilot and I can’t concentrate.

JEM Beader says:

I rise early out of necessity. My job starts at 8:00 and my puppy gets up at 6:00. I do function better early, but do most of my beading at night (after puppy is in bed).

9. Julie v
    Julie v says:

I am an early riser. My mind is much clearer in the morning. If I lay out bead designs at night I will check them again in the morning to see if I still like them before finishing them up. The morning check adds the little special touches that the night mind doesn’t think about.

thanks for such a fascinating question! I have functioned as a night owl due to chronic insomnia. However as I get older and partly due to grad school, I notice that I function better earlier in the day. I don’t like to do anything requiring lots of intense mental focus too late… EXCEPT for “Fresh Picks” chatting… that’s totally a habit, ha ha…. :)

POF Chick Nina says:

Reading the answers to the questions is interesting. I am an early riser. Like Mary A
    (Sweet Chick) I love the morning sounds too. If I sleep in until 8am I feel like the day is too short. By 9pm my mind shuts down and it is bed time. When I was still working I got up at 5am during the week. Now being retired I get up at 6 or 7 am.
    There are a lot of Chickys contributing to this blog and I enjoy reading what they have to say. I am certainly not a Chicky but and Old Hen and will keep reading the Chicky blog and add an Old Hen cackle now and again.

12. GoFish
    GoFish says:

Early riser…love the morning quiet…palm trees swaying in the breeze, pelicans flying over to the beach…ahhh

13. Kattalyne
    Kattalyne says:

I’m such a night owl. I get inspired around 10pm and usually figure I should go to bed around 3am. I will sleep to noon ever weekend I have available – but sometimes my cat has other plans for me. Plus at night I have less interruptions of phone calls and text messages. The cat also eventually falls asleep and leaves the wire alone.

Decicated Night Owl! I can get up in the morning and still function when necessary, but I find myself “wandering” at 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and crave a nap. I’m at my best between 10PM and 2AM. I worked the night shift (7PM to 7AM) for 21 years, and just can’t get out of the habit of staying up, even though my body will absolutely NOT let me work those hours anymore.

PS. Shunk Woman – we do have an opening for “Mama Hen” among the Chickys if you’re interested.

I am an early riser but NOT BY CHOICE!! I get up at 7am to get the kids ready for school and would love to go back to sleep once they’re gone but Antonio makes that impossible lol I find that I have the most energy, creativity and enthusiasm at night. I’ve been a night owl ever since I can remember but I guess I will have to wait til the kids are off to college to return to my natural pattern again! ;)

Tina T says:

no can do the OMG o’clock thing!!!! No one in my house is a morning person….it’s ugly here! I work best at night, husband and kids are all in bed, cats and dog leave me alone, no phones, just me, the beads and the dvd player or Bob Seger. I get up between 6:30-7 am, babysit my 9 month old nephew til 4,
    get my 5 kids off to school by 8, they’re home by 3, then it’s some sport or school event til whenever, so all my time when my peeps are awake is taken. Myabe more a lack of options than a choice…. Got one heading off to college next year, and the next, and the next, and the next, and the next. By then, my nephew will be in school, so they’ll most likely find a sitter closer to home and my regular night owl ways will take over again!

Bridget I says:

I LOVE to get up early in the morning and go for a run or cycling. It makes me energetic for the rest of the day! But in the winter when it’s too dark to go out early, I have discovered the joys of beading into the middle of the night, after the kids are in the bed. It’s my only true ME time- no kids, no phone, no email, just peace and quiet! :)

Umm, neither..?! Sleeping in for me means sleeping to 8:00, but that hardly ever happens. Normally I get up at 6:50 on days I don’t work, and 5:45 on days I do work. It’s what happens after I get up that makes or breaks my morning. I have to eat breakfast upon rising or my blood sugar levels go crazy. Then, if I take a shower right away I am full of energy for the rest of the day. But if I goof around on the computer, which is what I normally do, then I slip into a lazy mode and have to force myself to get something done.

In the evening I have good energy, unless I sit down (watch TV, computer etc). If that happens, I don’t get a thing done.

So, I don’t really know which I am because it all depends on what I do once my feet hit the floor.

Alice

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

A natural born night owl! It’s gotten worse as I have gotten older! I love the stillness of the night, hate to stop what I am doing to go to bed! Getting me up in the morning is nearly impossible. My husband is a perky early bird…sometimes I think if I had a BB gun, I would pelt his cheery little feathers! On the other hand, we made a great team when kiddos were little. Anything before 4am was mine and anything after 4am was his, unless it was the throw-up bug. I always took care of that and still do! Two of my three kids are night owls. My early bird child just doesn’t understand how we can keep going and going. I would love to be an early bird because the world is designed for them, but I have tried various times and it just will never be. Oh, well!

20. Linda Talbott
    Linda Talbott says:

Definitely an early riser, up by 4:30 or 5:00 am, definitely shocking as I wasn’t this way when I was younger. First I meditate then look at anything online related to beads I may have in the hopper. I need to find a way to use some of this time for beading because it is about a 3 – 4 hour jumpstart, compared to when I used to get up. The only problem is that by 9 pm, I am falling asleep on the couch…

Elizabeth K says:

SOOOOO night owl and after 56 years I’m not changing now. Due to extreme lack of space, I bead in bed with Lilly, the pearl eating boxer behind a wall of bags of beads. Some of my best designs come at 2am.

The only times I see sunrise are those nights I get hyperfocused and I end up staying up til dawn. I usually sleep 5 hours a night and then once a month I sleep for 12 hours.

Oh – I’m married to an early bird, go figure!

KWB DESIGNS says:

I have a full time job, a 2 year old, and a 10 year old. After work, I’m tired, have supper/clean up/homework/baths ect. by the time the kid are in bed, I’m pooped!
    I wake up at 5:00 am every day. It’s the only way I have an unbelievably quiet & peaceful hour to myself. At 6:00, I get showered & at 6:30 I wake up the kids. So much nicer than how my hubby does it. He’s the opposite & always tired…

Jeannes Gems - Gem Chick says:

Basically an early bird. You’ll see my lone posts at 5 am or so. even on vacation it’s hard for me to sleep past 6:30. The early morning is my time alone – coffee, check e-mails, read, bead… Summertime I love to sit on the front porch with my coffee observing the wild life in the woods or I go for an early walk, then swim.

D Campbell says:

I get up early because I can’t stay in bed but I stay up late as well…usually until 12 or 1 so I could quality as both. I usually get up between 4AM and 5AM. Lucky for me it doesn’t take a lot of sleep for me.

25. BlueLapis
    BlueLapis says:

Kids are gone, Im retired, and pretty much dont sleep unless I have to. Always been an insomniac. Especially when I have a new project calling. I get my best ideas late at night but get my best work done fairly early in the day. Mostly sleep 3-5 hours a day on average. Then fall down for a whole day every month or so. Does that make me both? Or maybe a shark? Since I heard they never sleep either. Can I be “Chicky of the Sea”? LOL

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

Chicky of the Sea! I like it! We must tell Anita!

LG Designs says:

The sun coming up in the morning with a great cup of coffee is the best. I get some of my best inspiration from looking at the sky in the morning….For you Vintaj users out there…have you noticed how you can take contemporary components & give them a completely different look? I’m having a so much fun with it!

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

BlueLapis, Anita and other chickies agree that Chicky of the Sea is a great name so if you really want to be a chickie you should be named so! I couldn’t tell if you were serious or joking, but if you are serious, reply here and I will check back and pass your new name on to the keeper of the chicky names. I think that is CAS Chicky Babe!

29. Gloria -Aussie chick
    Gloria -Aussie chick says:

I’m fully retired, so is my husband, we can do whatever we like and at what time we like, It’s just as well we have 2 adorable dogs that live with us as they keep us to some kind of timetable. I very rarley go to bed before 1 am even sometimes 2 am. but am usually up by 8am, so I suppose I’m a night owl after all.

30. Chicky Suz aka Susan Z
    Chicky Suz aka Susan Z says:

Early riser, definitely. I work full time but often get up really early to finish that necklace or bracelet to wear to work that day! I used to be a night owl as a kid, but slowly changed to a morning person and I love it. I get so much more done in the AM.

Thanks for your comments so far everyone! It’s interesting to hear when the early risers go to bed. I guess the key to getting up early is going to bed early. Who would’ve guessed? :)

I’m an early riser by necessity, but a night owl by preference. I do some of my best beading after 8 at night, and have to remind myself to quit and go to sleep.

33. Suleika Alejandra
    Suleika Alejandra says:

Both. Depends where I am. Example while in Puerto Rico start feeling sleepy early due to the sweet lullying sound of the Coqui, the national symbol of Puerto rico. It is a teeny tiny frog and they will make you feel sleepy! But then there are the roosters, they have other ideas as in get up! Try staying in bed with a rooster right outside your window crowing for all it’s worth AND trying to out do the other 3 or 4 roosters doing the same! Not possible unless you wear earplugs! While in New York, no roosters, no frogs but no one goes to bed early! You stay up and next thing you know it is well past midnight! Oh well I adjust. In Florida (where I now am) I choose when to go to sleep, when to get up. Some days I stay up real late, other times in bed early and get up early! I rarely get to go to bed late and wake up late…..that’s what napping in mid day is all about and I love it!

34. Suleika Alejandra
    Suleika Alejandra says:

BTW welcome to new member Cathy!

35. J Nocita
    J Nocita says:

I answered the survey as a night owl, but that’s not really true. I am actually both. I require very little sleep, so I tend to stay up pretty late (11-midnight most nights). My day job requires me to get up about 5:00 am. So truly, I am a night owl and an early riser. Sleep is so overrated.

36. Anita QoG Funny Chick
    Anita QoG Funny Chick says:

Night Owl!!!!! Most creative at night!!! I also wish I could do all my cleaning at night, but, hubby needs his sleep, he’s a early riser!! BlueLapis is Chicky of the Sea!!!

Love everyone’s comments too…

I just can’t stay up like I used to… would stay up till 2/3 am on weekends when I was first in college, chatting w/ my mom and oldest sister. Even up to a few years ago a dear friend and I would stay up till about that time, 2/3 am or so talking and sharing…

recently I just learned from another friend who just had a checkup – her doc told her she is way low on vitamin D, the symptoms are feeling fatigued all the time, joint pains and insomnia… I told her hey maybe that’s me… she said her doc told her that this being low on vitamin D is very common in areas like the pacific northwest where we just don’t get enough sunshine!!! okay, I think I’m in between – like to get a morning start – 8 am ish or so… still trying to go to sleep at a “reasonable” hour… despite late nite chats about “Picks”! :)

Melodee V says:

Great questions! For my 2 cents worth, I’m an early riser out of necessity, but still tend to stay up late…typically to bed by 11pm and up at 4:30am. I enjoy the quiet hours after the rest of the house is settled down. That’s when I do my beading!

Ashlie S says: