Help! How should we organize Fresh Picks?

Posted by Steve on April 17 at 03:01 pm

It’s hard to believe that over that past year, the community of Lima Beaders has designed over 6,000 Fresh Picks! These wonderful idea-generators are featured throughout the web site, but it’s growing harder every day to swim through the variety of concepts, colors, and combos that inspire us to create. So, we’re looking to get a little organized.

In addition to being able to search for Fresh Picks by name (think: “ocean” or “wedding”), we think it would be neat to allow you to browse through the picks by category. This brings up an interesting question, though: what categories do we use? :) Here are some interesting ideas we’ve had:

• Seasons (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall)
  • Holidays (The typical ones…)
  • Occasions (Weddings, Birthdays, Celebrations)
  • Nature (Flowers, Landscapes, Water)
  • Emotions (Happy, Sad, Thoughtful, Pride, Sympathy)
  • Animals (Pets, Cats, Dogs, The Wild)
  • Going Out (Food & Drink, Night Life)
  • Locations (Landmarks, Cities, Countries)
  • Pop Culture (Movies, Songs, Famous People)
  • People (Family, Friends, Myself)
  • And more…

What do YOU think?

Since you’re the designers, we want to know what you think! Love it? Hate it? Have any good ideas? We’d love to hear the different ways you think Fresh Picks could be organized so they’re easy & fun to browse. Let us know in the comments! And if you’re new to designing Fresh Picks, give it a try!

1. Cathy H Chocolate Chick
    Cathy H Chocolate Chick says:

Steve, I think this is a great idea. Sometimes I’m looking for a certain pick and just don’t have the time to search through them all. I like the idea of categories too. My favorite ones would be: season, holiday, food, places, songs, maybe even predominant colors. This seems like a dauntless task and I wish good luck with it! Thanks!!!

Agatha c says:

Steve,I love the fresh picks and find them a great source of new ideas. I do like the idea of catagories very much. I would also suggest that they listed by dominant colors and combinations. The website just keeps getting beter and better. Thanks to all and the creative people who produce so many wonderful fressh picks.

3. WireWrangler
    WireWrangler says:

Here’s my two cents: color & shape of stones (I’m into nuggets right now). Title search would be great! Don’t know if you could manage searching the comments? i.e. picks with the most comments to least. I would really like to be able to search ALL the comments for key words? I would also like to exclude certain things within a search, so, if exclusion criteria could be added? Thank you for improving an already awesome site.
    A little BTW: could you add a logout on the main page please? One can log in, but in order to log out one must go back into the account page. Or, maybe I’m just missing something like the last two eggs.
    Thank you again!

4. Leslie W Mtn Chick
    Leslie W Mtn Chick says:

These categories are a great idea for when you remember one, but can’t quite get the name right. How about categories by designer, or do we already have that? My favorite way of viewing the fresh picks is still at the bottom of the bead or item itself. By the way, Kevin, I fell for the Bronzite pendant I won from Lima. Getting something free for me is such a great way to be able to try something I might never have tried! I will make some kind of great necklace using the largest Vintaj butterfly and the bronzite beads I bought on sale. At first I was disappointed that I didn’t get the lapis too, but the blue and white squares are really pretty and feel great too. They would make a great bracelet with blue jeans once I come up with something exciting to go with them. Thanks again!

I think it’d be great if there was a fresh pick search bar so we could type in a word and it would bring up all picks with that word in the title.

6. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

the search bar would cover your catagories wish and the name by designer wish.

7. Shannon aka Silly Chick
    Shannon aka Silly Chick says:

You know the old saying “…like herding cats…”! But the search bar idea sounds promising…I’m sure anything you do will be an enhancement to the site!

Steve,

many thanks for all your fantastic work on “Fresh Picks”, and asking us about how to improve searching for/organizing the “Picks”! Given that we do have differing levels of comfort with use of technologies, I wonder if organizing Picks by the major ones listed might be simpler – seasons, colors, foods, animals, bead types, “other themes” – for instance, lately movies and challenges have come up. I also notice that family and other loved ones come up quite a bit too.

what you have listed for basic categories above looks like a pretty good list!

9. movie chick aka susan
    movie chick aka susan says:

I think if you give us the option of selecting from the categories above when we ‘turn on’ our pick would be a great way to organize them :)

10. Gloria -Aussie chick
    Gloria -Aussie chick says:

Hi Steve, yes I also think that categories are a great idea, just like in the book shop or library, I always found the search by stone name hard, as I don’t know what they’re all called, so just search thru the fresh picks till I find what I’m after. The predominent colour is a good category as so many of us often use this feature..

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

I like what you have now (Fresh Picks With This Item), but sometimes I want to pick TWO stones and see what others put with them! When I see combinations I like, I add them to my favorites so I can easily find them again, so I like that feature also.

I like your category choices, and would also like to search by predominate color.

I really like the idea of a search bar where we could put in a color, theme or other word and see what comes up. Maybe, as someone suggested, when creating a pick the creator could enter several ‘tag words’ that would show up in a search. The tag words could be the predominate word in the title, predominate color, predominate stone, and/or theme.

I’m glad you are taking on this task–which must be a huge one. I see long nights ahead for the team in trying to categorize all those picks.

By the way, everything I purchased after the egg hunt is gorgeous! I’ve already made two pieces and working on the third.

Could we have a gallery to show our creations made with Lima Beads? OK, one thing at a time…right?

Thanks for all your hard work to keep us happy!

Alice

13. Steph
    Steph says:

I think that would work well since we all seem to fall into creating similar themes for those type of categories. I like the idea.

14. Helena H
    Helena H says:

I like the idea of the search bar! And by colours and gemstones too! :)

Hmmm… can something be done about the shopping bag too? I realise that everything I clear my internet history my shopping bag will be emptied…

Steve, thank you so much for improving an already amazing website. All of the ideas mentioned above sound great. I have no doubt that you will come up with the perfect solution to organizing the Fresh Picks. The only thing I’m worried about is all the storage space these things are taking up! Please tell me that it is impossible to lose the Fresh Picks!

I think it would be neat to have a feature that prompted us to put our picks into a color category and a theme category when we turn them on. It would also be neat if we could organize our favorite fresh picks (since I have at least a thousand!) so we could find what we are looking for. Maybe you could put sort tabs at the top of our favorite picks page such as “by picker“ (alphabetically), “month created”, “by theme” (alphabetically), and “by predominant color”. or maybe you could have a ‘favorite fresh picks search bar’ like the ‘fresh pick search bar’ where you could search by key word in the title and another where you could search by theme. Could you use both in conjunction! like ‘key word‘: “love” and ‘theme/predominant color‘: “red”.

Jeannes Gems - Gem Chick says:

Steve – it was great to speak with you the other day. my order came today and I really like the smaller teardrops. They should make great earrings! I’ll have to send pics when I finish the set.

About organizing Fresh Picks – I love Kitty’s suggestions. She does always have great ones. I particulary would like to have the pickers names organized alphabetically. You know how if you open Snapshots you have to search for a particular person. Alphabetical would be so much easier :)

Thanks again for a terrific site and another great order!

Great ideas!!! I like animals, nature, people, & occasions best!!!

Oh, I was also wondering if you could search for fresh picks that had pictures of jewelry in the comments?! That would be great!

Jeannes Gems - Gem Chick says:

great idea, Nicole! I often forget the pictures are!

21. JacquiO
    JacquiO says:

By metal. I work with metals in everything I make, and it would be great to be able to search by type of metal to get fresh ideas.

It would also be nice if there was a feature that could sort out all the picks that are “off” in “my fresh picks” so we could work on them!

23. CrazyBeadinSister
    CrazyBeadinSister says:

The category idea is a good one. So is the thought of color and theme.

Like Kitty said, maybe you should have a “On” “Off” and “All” for “your” fresh picks…did that make good sense or are you all thinking “what”???

25. Claire F
    Claire F says:

It’s an excellent idea to browse through the picks by category. Perhaps having two boxes come up, select a categorey, select a subcategorey, then select your pick. It would be much easier, then having to go through all the picks.

POF Chick Nina says:

Hi Steve I like the idea of categorizing the Fresh Picks.
    After establishing the categories ask the pickers to include one of the category names in the title of their pick when creating them. Of course “Miscellaneous” can cover a multitude of things.
    Using a drop down menu a choice of what/how you want to view the picks could be made available also. (sounds like a LOT of work) The choice of Designer, Color, Title, Type of Bead, etc. could be some of the choices.
    Good luck in which ever design you choose. This is an Awesome! site.I Enjoy it immensely

27. Cotopaxi Chickie Sue
    Cotopaxi Chickie Sue says:

Steve, love your website and your contests! Have yet to create a fresh pick, and I know some of you create dozens! One way which has not been mentioned to organize the fresh pics is by tone – earth, grass, sunshine, rain, floral, night…just some thoughts. Once again, love your website and love your beads!

28. Debbi aka Sparkle Chick
    Debbi aka Sparkle Chick says:

Hi Steve…massive undertaking and thank you in advance for all the hard work the Lima team does to make things easier and fun for us beaders!

I was going to ask for multiple search options in Search the Picks….I’ve never been successful in clicking on more than one element at a time to search the fresh picks…I just tried all 4 options (gemstone, metal, cubic zirconia and freshwater pearls and found a handful of fresh picks using all 4…is this new? LOVE IT!

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback, everyone!

We’ll take all your suggestions into account when putting together the enhancements. It sounds like we need to think about predominant colors, making it easier to manage & categorize your own picks, and a slick way to search. Time to put our thinking caps on…

seashellsally, we have plans to make it easier for you to log out. Stay tuned!

Cuban Queen, no worries… your Fresh Picks will never be deleted. We have plenty of space!

JacquiO, I have good news for you. You can search for Fresh Picks by metal at this page: http://www.limabeads.com/store.....PickSearch … it sounds like Debbi C just found out about this, too! :)

Jeannes Gems, it was a pleasure talking to you, too… glad you liked the beads!

Thanks again everyone! Keep the feedback coming… we’re listening.

30. Purple Chick aka Violet
    Purple Chick aka Violet says:

I have a question, not about fresh picks, but about the
    sterling silver. Any update on when you might start adding the silver to your inventory? I know you had considered it a while back. Is it coming soon?!!!
    I hope so, I love working with silver and your beads are
    even more beautiful in sterling.

I received my first order a couple of days ago and I’m very impressed! It seems that I have a new hobby now that I had no intention of starting, but ever since the Easter Egg Hunt, I can’t stay away! I look forward to getting my next order, which should arrive this week and I’m already filling my shopping bag!

I love doing the ‘Fresh Picks’ and chatting with the ladies as well. I like several of the other ladies’ ideas about categories or ‘tag words’ we can put our picks into before we turn them on.

Keep up the good work; this is such a fun site!!

I like the idea of listing the picks alphabetically by contributor, and also like the idea of categories. I think the one about a list using dominant colors would be very helpful when we are trying to see what other choices would work in a design.

33. MaryJo K
    MaryJo K says:

I like your categories, but I would also like to see color and shapes included. Keep up the good work.

Dizzy Chick Lori Z says:

Late to the party, but I like the idea of categorizing fresh picks a LOT!

I would use the categories of Season, Holiday & Predominant Color the most, I think.

Thanks for asking!

Also, got my shipment last week that included the free beads (bronzite & sodalite) and I am SO happy! The sodalite is a nice denim color that will be fun to use!

About the free denim beads (from the egg hunt), just thought I’d let you know that I absolutely LOVE them. I’m working on a set now…

I love the idea of organizing the Fresh Picks! Many times I have tried to find one I had seen before and had to search through zillions of pages before finding the one I was looking for — even when I knew the name of the FP or the designer. The current searches (by gemstone, metal, etc.) are helpful, but don’t always narrow it down enough. Alpha by FP title would help; colors; seasons; stone shape; theme; name of designer; love the idea of a search bar in FP! Your site is AWESOME and by far the most user-friendly I’ve found!!! Thanks for all you do for us, Steve! Now, about that Readers’ Gallery of Designs…

Mama Yogi says:

My opinion on organizing the fresh pick is to keep it fairly simple. It should not have to many options. Your ideas of: Seasons, holidays, occasions, and perhaps people should be sufficient. Your site is great, Steve, and very user friendly. M.

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

Steve, can we have a central location for “Chickie Chat”? Please see discussion thread on LimaPick “Barnyard Sunrise” by Southern Chick.

Also, any luck in finding a Chickie Charm? You would get lots of orders!

Thanks, as always, for your wonderful communication with your customers!!

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

OOPS! I mean the discussion thread on “The African Queen” by Movie Chick!!

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

Maybe you could just make the Fresh Pick Recent Chatter section bigger, longer. If a lot of people are chatting, you can miss someone’s new comment!

41. DOG Chick aka Angela
    DOG Chick aka Angela says:

Is there any way the Fresh Picks could be arranged so that the conversations for each pick could be shown with the pick? It is sometimes hard to follow the train of thought as the comments show up on the side of the screen.

42. KPJEWELS
    KPJEWELS says:

Could a list of the names of who is picking be published in alphabetical order so that if we wish to find a pick, published by a certain ‘chick’, be found easier? or is there already something of this nature on the site and I just don’t know about it?

Not to sound like a broken record but …Fresh Pick Search Bar? Pleaseeeeeese!! I was wanting to look at “rain” picks for inspiration today and just gave up before I started!

44. Tootz
    Tootz says:

Fresh Picks should be organized any way that your thoughts wonder to. Some people dream about the weather in another part of the country. Some people dream about being on vacation. I think about retirement and the joys of the beautiful things that I’m able to see. So it is everyone’s choice. Sandy

Maybe there should be a section for picks for countries, states, landforms, & rivers