Favorite Fresh Pick Facts

Posted by Ali on May 28 at 02:39 pm

The other day I was just sitting around with nothing to do (yeah, right!) and I started wondering about how often different items were used and which items were most popular to use in your Fresh Picks. We have compiled a very interesting set of winners… Check it out!

Favorite Gemstone Category to use in a Fresh Pick

Mother Earth
Peacock Feathers
Purple Passion
Safari
Twilight

Give a warm welcome to our new May Fresh Pickers

What you’ve all been waiting for . . . Top 10 Fresh Picks (May 10-24)

1. Moonstone Vanilla Champagne by D D Mystic Chick
  2. Honey Chocolate Truffles by Cuban Queen Crazy Chick
  3. Brown Orchid by Luv2bead
  4. The Water is Clear & Cool by Allure of Gems by Julia
  5. Carnival Glass Punch Bowl by Elaine aka Belly Chick
  6. New Cocktail Dress by Classy Chick JbyJill
  7. Ayre by Sandy S
  8. Picking Flowers by Wemai
  9. The Patina of Time by Chicky D aka Debra
  10. Misty Morning by A Golke

We’d love to hear from you. Why do you think the items above are so popular for use in Fresh Picks? Is it the color, the way the images turned out, or something else?

How do you feel about the idea of having a weekly Fresh Pick challenge at Lima Beads? Some Fresh Pickers have done this on their own in the past – I believe they called it a “chickie challenge” :) Since June is coming up, we thought it’d be cool to see Fresh Picks themed around wedding season.

Let us know what you think!

1. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

I think the fresh pick challenge would be a great idea. :D

Ditto!

3. Classy Chick JbyJill
    Classy Chick JbyJill says:

Oh yes!! A Fresh Pick Chickie Challenge is a fantastic idea!! I can’t wait :)

You know, I think this is the first time since I started picking back in October that I haven’t had a pick on the list … probably has something to do with the fact I haven’t done many. Congratulations to those on the list, you rock!

Fantastic fun facts Ali, maybe Steve could include them in some way in “the garden”? (got to keep him busy, right ;) )

Yep, great idea!! :-D

BTW, what happened to the last Top 10 picks?

7. WireWrangler
    WireWrangler says:

Congratulations to the Top Ten!

I would venture this observation relevant to the favorites catagories. Not knowing how you did your calculations, it is difficult to answer your question: “”"Why do you think the items above are so popular for use in Fresh Picks?”"”". Was it a straight calculation or, did you calculate the picks on a percentage based on individual pickers? I bring this up because if you have a handful of individuals making most of the picks, it seems logical that if you do a straight calculation, then what you obtain is the favorites of that handful of individuals. I would venture an observation that what is purchased is a better indicator of favorites. It might be interesting to compare the all time favorites purchased with those picked. However, I would do a weighted calculation, which would even out the abundant pickers. Or, am I just getting picky with the fresh picks?

8. Anita QoG Funny Chick
    Anita QoG Funny Chick says:

That would be alot of fun!!!! Count me in!!! Hi, to all the fresh, fresh pickers!!!!! The more the merrier!

9. Dizzy Chick Lori Z
    Dizzy Chick Lori Z says:

I’m not a prolific “picker” but a weekly challenge would be fun!

About popular choices in fresh picks – I see an overall trend of Black, White & Grey, with a splash of Red. My guess is that they are kind of universal “go with anything” colors?

Personally, I like the snapshot of the bead to fill the frame in a fresh pick. I try to avoid the ones that just show a single strand of a type of bead.

Lots of opinions from a wallflower, huh?!?

It would be great to have a weekly Fresh Pick Challenge! The Chick Challenge ones are always a lot of fun! Of course, Steve would have to find a way to track it in The Garden for us, please!!! My feeling as to why the white opal rounds and the champagne pearls get picked the most is that they go with everything else, colorwise and sizewise. :-)

I just read what Lori wrote above me (it posted as mine did) and I agree about not picking items that don’t look right in the pick’s square. I have often put something in a pick and then removed it because it wasn’t visually pleasing due to the way it did or did not fill up the space allotted. Also, some beads tend to look better (colorwise) up close or from a distance in the picks, so I’ve chosen or discarded them for that reason. Metal pieces, especially, pose a problem in the spaces if they don’t align properly.

Thanks for those fun facts on fresh picks, Ali! I hope doing the calculations was easier than it sounds…lol Welcome to all the new “pickers” and congrats to all on this week’s list! :)

Oh, and ditto to everything Chicky LE just said ;)

I agree with Lynn and Lori about gaps in the snapshots. It does make it difficult sometimes to find the right combination.

15. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

I agree, the fresh picks I make are based on how the snapshot “looks” in the 16 squares. Alot of times the ones I put in are not necessarly the beads I would buy, but what looks good together.
    As to a “weighted average” as I have had to learn, creative types and or management types see “weighted averages” and “moving averages” as way too much vocabulary. (I got told to down play my vocabulary at a board meeting because the Supervisors didn’t know what an Accural or Weighted Average was.)

Congratulations to all those Fresh Pickers who’s Fresh Picks were picked! :) (say that 5 times fast ;) ! )
    I think it would be cool to have an archive of “Top 10 Fresh Picks” in The Garden!

17. Chicky Bear-Tara
    Chicky Bear-Tara says:

I like the idea of the challenge. Why is the name “chick” so popular on this site?

18. Candy aka BFF
    Candy aka BFF says:

Congrats to the pickers!! Lynn & Lori are right. I’ve removed what looked like the perfect addition to a Fresh Pick because of gaps or as Lynn said some picks look better up close and others at a distance in their photos. Love The Garden idea!

Congrats to the Top 10!!! Welcome to our new Pickers!!! I like the idea of a Top 10 Archive in The Garden as suggested by Chicky Cat — hint, hint, Steve. LOL

20. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

Black onyx–good filler, lots of shapes

Labradorite–gorgeous, lots of shapes, iridescence is irresistible

Coral–perfect for adding bright pop of true red, not orangey or pinkish

I agree about needing the “picked item” to center up properly in the block when I am choosing a Fresh Pick. I also have, regretfully, discarded perfectly nice bead or metal choices because they did not look good in the square, and I have purposely chosen beads that fill the block nicely instead. :-)

22. DJluvs2bead
    DJluvs2bead says:

I too give kudos to the top Fresh Pickers! It is fun to “bead creative” with the Fresh Pick Process. I agree with the other FP’s that the items I choose have a lot to do with how they look in the overall presentation. I have purchased many of the items that I have placed in my picks and have discovered some great items in other peoples wonderful selections.
    Thanks to Lima Beads for giving all of use this terrific creative outlet!I think a themed challenge would be fun!

• No PhotoUnarer R said »
    “This narrates you a lot about a company concern theoretical account's military …”