What’s Popular?

Posted by Kevin on May 12 at 01:43 pm

The spring craft shows/fairs have begun. We’re in the midst of graduation and wedding season. There are lots of birthdays this time of year. It’s spring, everyone wants new jewelry! This is the time when the beading world is usually buzzing with activity, but it seems a little quiet this year.

My questions is — what are you seeing out there? Whether you’re selling at shows, having home jewelry parties or trunk shows, or getting requests for graduation jewelry, what sort of designs are people asking for? We try to keep up on the latest trends, but they’re all over the place this year. I think the economy is driving people to use supplies that are a bit less expensive like: brass stampings, recycled parts, and base metals. Ali tells me that the items below are being reported as “hot” for this summer, but doesn’t it seems like a huge variety? I’m not sure what to think.

• really big
  • oversized chokers, beads & pendants
  • colorful
  • large victorian style pieces
  • heavy crosses
  • reusing costume jewelry
  • exotic
  • chunky chains
  • longer necklaces that can be worn long or wrapped multiple times
  • multi-strand necklaces and bracelets
  • mixing up metals, especially when your first instinct is that they don’t  match
  • Rich and deep color gemstones mixed with spots of a vibrant color
  • stones with inclusions like rutilated quartz, lodolite or cool bandng like Botswana agate
  • nature – animals, botanicals (leafs, flowers …)

The one theme I can take from that is complexity. It sounds like the simple, single strand necklace might not be the way to go this year.

What are you seeing in your community?

1. Sue D
    Sue D says:

Really big chunky long necklaces seem to be in, if the summer clothing catalogues are right. I may have to use…..gasp… acrylic beads to make any light enough to actually wear. Love your stuff such nice quality stones!
    Sue

2. Sandy S
    Sandy S says:

Still have a lot of friends that ask for pearls but in soft to flashy colours,

3. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

I agree with what you said about complexity. Most of the stuff I see on ladies is multi-strands of crystals and/or stones. I like the way these look, but when I try to make one it always looks off-balance somehow, or gets tangles, or hits the chest in the wrong spot. I need more practice.

yes, big, chunky, multi-strand, chains, and long seem to be “in” right now.

5. CrazyBeadinSister
    CrazyBeadinSister says:

Big and chunky,multi-strands,something with Lots of Bling and chains is what I have been seeing and seems to be the “in” thing at this time.

Definitely chunky and multi-strand! I’ve had over 3 orders for 63 inch (I think and that includes the whole necklace) necklaces so that they can be wrapped around 2 or 3 times! :D

My customers seem to be drawn to pieces that are different. Whether it’s chunky, brass, long or short, they want something that no one else has; a piece people that will make people say “wow, that’s an unusual piece, I love it!” It could be something as simple as a dainty brass chain with a pendant and a few stones or crystals, or something elaborate and chunky. It just has to be different.

Alice

8. Purple Chick aka Violet
    Purple Chick aka Violet says:

I agree with big , and different. You have so many beautiful stones that I can’t find from other sources. My
    customers always comment on how beautiful my stones are , and how different my designs look. I also use pearls in most of my designs. It’s kind of my signature that I’m known for. I love looking for pearls in colors that enhance the stones that I am using.
    But then there are still those customers who like different but simple. Variety, that’s a key.
    Also, geode’s seem to be really in. And anything I make with fossil. I made a beautiful necklace with your turritella agate beads with brown and cream pearls and silver, it sold the first day I put it out. ! People thought it was so unusually beautiful. I must buy more!!!
    Thanks for having such a great selection.!

9. Steph
    Steph says:

I love the big stones but I have found that some people tend to worry about the wieght on thier neck. I try to mix things up and make half large stone and half smaller stones. I don’t really want to use plastics since I love your beads from here. People will have stronger necks wearing my jewelry. LOL

I agree about “different” and “unusual” being important to customers. They don’t want to be wearing something that they are going to turn around and see on someone else. I vary my designs and colors for those reasons. Multiple metals in the same piece are popular right now; long necklaces (long enough to wrap); big, bold, chunky necklaces & bracelets; bright candy colors. I try to have a variety of weights in my pieces as some women can’t wear heavy necklaces or earrings. It doesn’t seem to matter with bracelets, just the size.

11. WireWrangler
    WireWrangler says:

To the comments I would add “value”, on many different levels.
    To the comments concerning “large and heavy”, the key is design and scale. One can achieve a “chunky” look while maintaining wearablity through careful design and relative scale. Thereby avoiding a”Flinstone” look. One does not need to resort to ‘plastic’.
    Agree with long, I would add lean. Multi-layer. Again, keep design in mind and rather than making a piece that is multi-layer, design pieces of multiple lengths that will ‘go together’. This encourages the client’s own creativity while increasing your own sales.
    I do primarily one-of-a-kind(multiples become boring) and that is why I prefer ‘natural shapes’ as much as possible. The ‘go for green trend’ with repurposing is very ‘in’ in so cal. I prefer ‘vintage’, updating styles, colors from the past into a new, fresh look.
    Unusual stones, look for fossils (Indonesian)in all forms, even dino bones because of the unusual textures. Quartz with stuff in it definitely. I’m currently looking for pyrite in quartz.
    Colors, very sophisticated schemes. On the flip side..I am actually seeing “taupe” once again. Look at a well cut ‘Willow Creek Jasper’ for inspiration. OK that’s my 2 cents worth.

Tehran M says:

Love Lima! I am a fairly new consumer, I’ve only received one order with one on the way BUT after the first small order I dove in! I am seeing trends with multi-strands also and I’m actually going to take a class to perfect the technique. I see people still have their loyalties to pearls but for the most part people are going funky, bright and overstated for their collection. My new rule of thumb is, if you think it’s too big, it’s just right!

When are you guys going to have a “Clasps” section? Maybe some sterling silver toggles etc. And let’s throw in a Jewelry supply section for kicks. I would love to make Lima my one-stop top of the line shop!

Kim V says:

I’m so new I haven’t even gotten my first order yet , and am waiting to see if it will be what I hoped for. But the pieces catching my eye have clustered dangles , rich color , lots of visual movement. I like it all , it’s really about good color combo and design. And if I could add a wish on what I’d like to see more of here , it would be rough faceted stones , a bit on the chunky side.

Sally and the others covered a lot of info. One thing I do is to watch our local TV personalities to see what styles might be interesting local ladies. The news personel are often provided with fashions from local boutiques, including jewelry. It’s in the credits at the end of the program.
    My husband and I have both become more aware of what accessories the newspeople are wearing lately. The styles are often big and bold, very eye catching, but not always. I can’t say there is any single strong trend, other than that.

Sue B says:

That is all I am seeing is long and simple people do not have the money to spend on big chunky pricey jewelry. I think the 70′s are back and it’s a wear anywhere look as well.