What’s Popular?Posted by Kevin on May 12 at 01:43 pm
The spring craft shows/fairs have begun. We’re in the midst of graduation and wedding season. There are lots of birthdays this time of year. It’s spring, everyone wants new jewelry! This is the time when the beading world is usually buzzing with activity, but it seems a little quiet this year.
My questions is — what are you seeing out there? Whether you’re selling at shows, having home jewelry parties or trunk shows, or getting requests for graduation jewelry, what sort of designs are people asking for? We try to keep up on the latest trends, but they’re all over the place this year. I think the economy is driving people to use supplies that are a bit less expensive like: brass stampings, recycled parts, and base metals. Ali tells me that the items below are being reported as “hot” for this summer, but doesn’t it seems like a huge variety? I’m not sure what to think.
- really big
- oversized chokers, beads & pendants
- large victorian style pieces
- heavy crosses
- reusing costume jewelry
- chunky chains
- longer necklaces that can be worn long or wrapped multiple times
- multi-strand necklaces and bracelets
- mixing up metals, especially when your first instinct is that they don’t match
- Rich and deep color gemstones mixed with spots of a vibrant color
- stones with inclusions like rutilated quartz, lodolite or cool bandng like Botswana agate
- nature – animals, botanicals (leafs, flowers …)
The one theme I can take from that is complexity. It sounds like the simple, single strand necklace might not be the way to go this year.
What are you seeing in your community?