Introducing The Garden…

Posted by Steve on June 10 at 10:18 am

garden-mainYesterday we released an update to our web site that we’re very excited about: we launched The Garden, a section dedicated to meeting new beaders, sharing ideas, asking questions, and more. I’d like to give you an overview of some of the things you can do in The Garden…

Your Profile

A profile page

A profile page

In The Garden, everyone has a profile page. It’s an overview of what you’ve been up to, along with your bio (if you choose to write one), your picture, and a link to your web site. Your profile page also has a “comment wire”, which is a place for your friends to leave you a short message, or for you to post a status update (more on that below). So check out your profile to begin!

Finding Other Beaders’ Profiles

garden-whoTo see what everyone else is up to (and drop them a note if you want), you can look at their profile pages. To find other beaders like this, just click on their name or picture when you see it appear somewhere (a good place is the “Who’s Online?” section on the main page). We also have a directory of the members–check it out!

Your Wire

garden-wireIn The Garden, a “wire” is just like a whiteboard where you and your friends can write little comments, messages, or status updates. You have one on your profile page, and you can type a message on your wire anytime you want (going on vacation? having an inspirational moment? your dog just did something that you can’t resist sharing?)… and your friends can drop you a line here, too! Anyone can see your wire (just check out someone’s profile page to see what I mean), so if you’re looking for a way to communicate privately, I’ll explain in a bit…

Groups

Groups are collections of beaders with similar interests. Right now, we have a handful of groups to join. There are two unique things about groups: a group “wire” and forum topics. The group wire is just like your personal wire–it’s great for sharing short ideas or messages with the whole group. There’s also a forum where group members can start topics and post back and forth for more in-depth conversations. Check out the Jewelry Sellers group for an example (and once you have a Garden Profile, you can click “Join Goup” to join!). Have ideas for new groups? Leave a comment below!

Friends

garden-friendsJust like on other web sites, you can “friend” people by going to their profile page and clicking “Add Friend”. It will send them a request that they can accept to complete the connection. This will help in two ways… for one, your friends are listed under your profile so you can access them easily to check out what they’ve been up to lately. Secondly, once you’re friends you can leave messages on each other’s wires. So get going and make some friends! :)

Messages

garden-messagesLooking for a way to send a more private message? When you’re looking at someone’s profile, you can click “Send Message” to send them a private message. This is just like an e-mail but you don’t need to know that person’s e-mail address. Whether it’s a note of encouragement, an invitation to a craft show, or a question–this is a more private way to communicate than posting a note on someone’s wire that other people can see.

More to Come: Design Gallery

garden-galleryNext week, we’ll be launching the Design Gallery. We’re really excited to see the awesome creations that you make–and this will be a place to share them with the world. It’s coming June 18th! Stay tuned, and get your digital camera ready :)

Any questions? Feel free to leave a comment below. Or, if you’re a member of the Garden, you can check out my profile and send me a message or post on my wire.

Thanks, Steve! I’m marking this page as good info. :-)

Thanks for the overview, Steve! This answered several questions I posted last night! LOL Again, many thanks to you and the entire LB Team for being the absolute BEST!!!!! :D

3. WireWrangler
    WireWrangler says:

Thank you, Steve. This is extremely helpful and exactly what I needed. I feel like you took me by the hand and introduced me into the “Garden Party”.

I’m lovin’ the Garden! I find it very easy to get around in it…I think it is set up really well! I am waiting with baited breath for the Design Gallery, can’t wait!! :-D Thanks LB!

Dizzy Chick Lori Z says:

Thanks Steve!!!! This helps a lot! Looking forward to all the fun times here! I’m bookmarking this page too! You all are great!

6. Fashion Chick aka SC
    Fashion Chick aka SC says:

Thank you so much Steve for all the information. This site is so wonderful and your attention to the needs of your customers is just outstanding!!

Steve,

I too visited the “Garden” last night and had some basic questions, thank you very much for creating this new feature on behalf of all of us! Sure appreciate it very much, your thoughtfulness in designing and setting this up for all of us to communicate more effectively is wonderful! :)

8. DOG Chick aka Angela
    DOG Chick aka Angela says:

Oh I found it last night and I love it! Thank you for taking such good care of us! LB is the BEST!

9. Mommykat Bubbly Chick
    Mommykat Bubbly Chick says:

Wow, this is so very cool! Thanks for all the hard work and listening to all of us Chickies.

10. Arline L
    Arline L says:

Thanks for the invitation to join this group. All the goodies at LB are drool-worthy. Makes me want to bead all the time. (As if I didn’t already)

11. Anita QoG Funny Chick
    Anita QoG Funny Chick says:

Thank you LB, this is yet another great addition to your already great site!!!! Now that I figured it out, I know it’s going to be fun!!!!

Anita, I see you now have a chick name! I was wondering when that would happen :)

13. BKD
    BKD says:

Just an idea for groups: various regions, states or cities. I would love to meet other jewelry designers in the Atlanta area.

14. Riverlily
    Riverlily says:

Sweet – just like candy!

15. Batty Beader
    Batty Beader says:

I have recently found this website and I am amazed at the amount of tallented beaders there are displaying items in the gallery. Well done all.

16. Regina v
    Regina v says:

Since the chickies have a group, how about a group for the kitty cat people?

17. Regina v
    Regina v says:

Hi;
    On the main page of “The Garden” it would be nice to be able to filter the activity we’re viewing. You already have different iconic tags for Fresh Picks, Designs, Comments, new pairs of friends, and wires these would also be good filters. You could also include a filter for messages from the Lima Team, posts/activity by friends, activity by people who share a group, others?

Seeing all the chit chat is lively and great – but also being able to zero in on particular dimensions of chit chat will help us make maximum use of the new features.

By the way – great idea.

Deb D Grammy Chick says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I love The Garden and the fun that goes on there! It’s great to have some of my questions answered.

19. Sali Jo GemsChica Chick
    Sali Jo GemsChica Chick says:

This has added a whole new dimension of fun to my shopping….as if my shopping for beads needs any help..

Laura G says:

How do i check if I have an answer to somebody in the garden? there are so many posts that I am already lost. Thanks!

laura_gehle@yahoo.com

21. The Whimsical Dragonfly
    The Whimsical Dragonfly says:

This is awesome!! I am so happy I found this sight!!

22. The Whimsical Dragonfly
    The Whimsical Dragonfly says:

Yes I know “site” lol

23. The Whimsical Dragonfly
    The Whimsical Dragonfly says:

There should be a way to remove your own comments when you forget how to spell or want to add something to your comment

Faithful Chick aka Faith says:

You’ll get used to it we all make typos (sp) have no idea how to spell that. Just have nice fun and shop til you drop 24-7. Lots to chuckle over and be supportive and find support. Love Lima Beads. You are the greatest. I am in love with the clasp sale will not need any or garnets for a while. LOL

25. JPeg Peggy
    JPeg Peggy says:

Hey there

26. JPeg Peggy
    JPeg Peggy says:

alls I know is that I have been at this website way too long

great browzing site!!!

Faithful Chick aka Faith says:

I need a way to remove my own comments or to remove a bunch of favorites collected so I can free up computer space and not crash.. Help.

28. KittyMom Linda
    KittyMom Linda says:

HELP, someone made a great suggestion about changing my picture in my profile. Can’t figure out how to do it.

29. KittyMom Linda
    KittyMom Linda says:

Never mind, for crying out loud – it if were any easier…….. Sorry, and thanks anyway.

Vampire Chickie Ravin says:

Thanks for all the great info! You rock!! :)

31. MaryLou R
    MaryLou R says:

I’m having an awfully good time looking for eggs. Still trying to figure out how to post in the Garden.

32. Bead Me Up Scotty
    Bead Me Up Scotty says:

Trying to think of a better screen name!!

33. Mougli b
    Mougli b says:

tesyt

34. Wendi H
    Wendi H says:

I follow Lima Beads on FB… but I am so glad I stumbled upon the Garden… I love it. :)

35. G-MA-D
    G-MA-D says:

Where are all the eggs????

36. A me
    A me says:

deviled eggs anyone?

37. Vampire Chickie Ravin
    Vampire Chickie Ravin says:

YES!! Deviled eggs sound sooooo good right now…let’s kill us some eggs! Woot! ::Dances:: lol ;) not that I’m ay all frustrated with eggs, heh

38. KittyMom Linda
    KittyMom Linda says:

Steve – HELPPPPPPPP, what is with the site? Very slow for last few days but today – I can’t make a comment, hit send, and continue on. It just keeps saying loading – endlessly! The only way I can continue is to close the site down, go back in sign in again, etc. That is no fun – please help.

39. Boston Lady
    Boston Lady says:

Hi Steve!

Something weird happened. I went on my profile and it said that I had three messages and one request to be a friend. I accepted the friend request first and then when I went back to read the three messages, they were nowhere to be found. What happened?

Boston Lady aka Carol

40. sunny chick
    sunny chick says:

Hello Boston Lady, click on the icon called “Messages” and your messages should be there. Hope this helps!

41. nutkitten
    nutkitten says:

I just joined all of you on this site and I have already noticed that there are a lot of cats so, I agree with Regina V. We need a group for all of us felines.

CindyLou p says:

I’m on my 41 egg no Golden ones yet. I am struggling b/cuz they are hidden well. I am treating my second headache since starting yesterday. I think its great though cuz I want the free beads. I am Proud of myself no cheats or hints given. will continue to do it on my own, I want to be Proud of what I get for free b/cuz I earned it.