Lima is Moving!

Posted by Kevin on June 16 at 12:59 pm

It was almost 3 long months ago when I wrote about how Lima was Shopping for Space. After a long search and looking at what felt like every office/warehouse space in Ann Arbor, we have found the perfect space!

On the About Lima page, we talk a little bit about the kind of work environment we like. We definitely don’t want to be out in a boring warehouse in the middle of some industrial park, but we’re also getting a little too big to be in our downtown loft. For the past 5 years we’ve managed to grow every year with no elevator, cramped spaces, and bathrooms that are showing their 70 year old age. We set out 6 months ago to find an office space that would give us the convenience of a warehouse environment (large open space with an overhead door) and the “coolness” of a loft/downtown that we have in our current space.

A cool loft-type space WITH a warehouse, downtown, in a college town? We’re an ambitious team, but even most of the real estate agents in town just gave us a funny look when we listed those requirements. I’m proud to say that our stubbornness paid off! We found a space within walking distance to downtown that used to be an old dance studio. You know what that means… TONS of open space. The owner of the building has agreed to do an extensive buildout for us, so we’ll have our cool work environment, complete with open floor plan, nice kitchen with a bar, lots of natural light, etc..

Warehouse A

Warehouse A

Here are some before pictures. The one on the left is the view of the open (warehouse) space. We’ll fill it up with shelving in no time :) The picture below is a portion of the office space. There’s not much there that will stay the same. The wall on the right is being torn out as we speak and this space will open into our kitchen. The bar will be running along the space where the wall is now. The flooring, colors, and lighting will all change. The wall on the left will be opened up with glass and that will be where our creative team works. There’s space up front where we’ll be putting a conference room, a coat/break room for the team, and of course, a big room just for hanging out!

Office area before

Office area before

We can’t wait to move in. We’ll be sure to post some “after” pictures so you can see how it turned out.

Thanks everyone! We appreciate your business so much. We’re so excited to keep growing, keep getting our hands on great beads, and to keep doing cool stuff on our site. The delay on carrying silver, glass, findings, chain, and all of the other things you want to see has been caused by our lack of space. As soon as we move into the new space, you’re going to see our product offering increase exponentially!

Thanks again,

Kevin

1. Cathy H Chocolate Chick
    Cathy H Chocolate Chick says:

Congratulations on your new “cool” space! Looks like it is exactly what you were looking for in every way. Now for the hard part – moving all those beads!!! Can’t wait to see the “after” pictures. Thanks for all you do for us. :)

WOW — I’m so excited for all of you! This is a dream come true for the LB team!!! See, it does pay to be persistent (a nice word for stubborn — LOL). ;-) Congrats to all and I’m looking forward to seeing the “afters” !!! Thanks again for everything you do for us — you’re the BEST!!! :D

3. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Can anyone say MOVING SALE?

Anything we sell, we don’t have to move, right?

Did someone say “SALE” ?!?!?! LOL

5. KPJEWELS
    KPJEWELS says:

Oh WOW, a new office and a sale. Super great. We’re ready for the sale. Right Chickies. Moving sale it is. LOL. Congratulations on finding what you needed for a new office. Thanks for the before pictures, it looks like it has lots of potential. Good luck and thanks for being such a fantastically great team for the chickies and others of course. We’re behind you 100% LB. Wish we lived closer, it would be fun to help you move. What is your moving date?

6. Southern Chickie
    Southern Chick says:

Well Yippee! Now what about a STORE along with it! LOL And while you’re at it, just throw in a couple of classrooms so we can learn some more cool stuff! Congrats on your new space! You guys (and girls) really rock!
    Southern Chick!

7. movie chick aka susan
    movie chick aka susan says:

congrats on the new space…yes, you must have a moving sale!!! :)

LG Designs says:

Hang on to your hats guys because you are about to really become big time. This will do wonders for your business. Congrats and many blessings!

Hey, what Donna said! Love the idea of an actual store that we Chicks could come and visit on a field trip! ;-) Classrooms sound like fun, too. Ali can be the teacher! Payton can be her assistant…..well, maybe in a few more years. :D

10. Michelle Downy Chick
    Michelle Downy Chick says:

Congrats guys! Any chance I can get you to think about anothing moving sale…maybe to Massachusetts ;)

11. Mayan Chick - Lilly
    Mayan Chick - Lilly says:

Congratulations on your new space! Happy for LB! Moving sale??? Music to my ears :D

Jane J says:

We are so happy for you and know how excited you must be about your new location. I’ll tell my daughter (in Ferndale) to check out your new “digs” when you’re ready for business again!

JEM Beader says:

Great! It’s always so much better to be in a comfortable (not cramped) space. I’m glad your patience was rewarded.

14. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

I can’t wait to see it. Future Ann Arbor road trip! Very exciting!

Jeannes Gems - Gem Chick says:

Congratulations on your new space. So excited that you’ll have room for all that great stuff I have to go elsewhere for. Nobody has customer service like you guys. Last minute order – no problem – I know I’ll see it in 3 days. The other companies – 7-10.
    And “moving sale”… music to my ears!!!

16. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

cool. moving sale. Congrats on the new digs. Space is always good.

17. DOG Chick aka Angela
    DOG Chick aka Angela says:

That is awesome guys! I am so happy you have found more space because a happy work environment=happy customers! Especially if there are SALEs involved! LOL! Congratulations! How about a sale on Champagne Pearls?

18. Classy Chick JbyJill
    Classy Chick JbyJill says:

Congrats to the Team!! And yeah for us beaders too!! This is going to be a great move for the company. Did someone say….. MOVING SALE!?!? Yippee!! You guys truly are the BEST!!

19. WireWrangler
    WireWrangler says:

Happy Trails to the LB gang.
    If you find any orphan beads moving things around, I will adopt!
    Did my eyes catch SALE?
    Is the new space Feng shui’d?????
    Or, just a magnum of champagne sprinkled about?

20. Classy Chick JbyJill
    Classy Chick JbyJill says:

I can’t wait to see the after pictures :)

21. MaryJo K
    MaryJo K says:

Growth! Don’t ya just love it. Congratulations on your new home-away-from-home. Not only do you have room for retail, classes, etc, my local bead store also reserves Friday night (after closing) for us to bring our projects, ask questions and if needed, we can purchase our supplies. I love the easy going get-
    togethers. You might think about it.

22. BBK
    BBK says:

congrats

CONGRATS on moving to a new and bigger space!! It sounds great!! :D THANK YOU for the sale!! You guys are wonderful!!

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

Congratulations to all of you!!! Thanks for sharing your growth with all of us!! We are excited for you and appreciate all you do for us, and I will try to take some of those heavy rocks from you so you don’t have to move them!!

25. DJluvs2bead
    DJluvs2bead says:

How exciting to move LB to a new home! I wish you all continued success! Cheers to the best online bead team and bead family! Thanks for making your beaders feel so special. You know from all the comments… WE LOVE YOU GUYS!
    We all love a sale too, that always means MORE BEADS!!!;)

Foundling says:

How exciting!

Hey, Lima Team! Any chance you’re looking for help in your new place?? LOL Congrats to you guys on finding your ideal space and I CAN’T WAIT for the new additions and moving sale! Woo hooo!!! :P

Congratulations! It’s a great thing to hear that LB is growing strong. We all want you around for a LONG time.

My biggest request; as you grow and change, stay who who are!!!
    You’re the best.

Here’s to a smooth move! :-D

So happy for your new location and continued success. You let us be a part of it all, and we love that. :-)

More space; moving sale; bar in the kitchen area….what more can any of us ask for??!! Hehehe! :-D

Do you think they’ll have Bailey’s, Elaine? LOL ;-)

I agree with Sweet Chick — feel free to grow and change, just PLEASE don’t change who you are as a company! To quote Mr. Rogers — “I like you just the way you are!” :D

Congrats!

KWB DESIGNS says:

I’m so very happy for you. And what’s so neat, is seeing the progress. To think you started out so small, and have grown your company to something so great. It’s so inspiring. Thank you for sharing it with us. It makes me feel like I’m almost part of your team! I love it. Kuddos gang!

35. Anita QoG Funny Chick
    Anita QoG Funny Chick says:

CONGRADULATIONS!!! Sounds like the perfect space!!!! You all deserve it, for your hard work!!! No more carrying heavy boxes up stairs & then trying to find a space to put everything!!! WAY TO GO!!!!

36. Sandy S
    Sandy S says:

Your company is growing right along with your daughter, I understand the move and the growth that will happen with that. Able to stretch your minds with new creativity. I’m glad that I found you when I did, Best wishes for you and your family and company.

btw: I can say “MOVING SALE”! ;) :D :)

Dear LB team,

CONGRAGULATIONS on the fantastic news about obtaining a new space that meets your needs better!!! it looks great from the pics you posted, and agree w/ the other sentiments… I LOVE the way that LB is now, and would like you guys to keep the same characteristics we all enjoy so much, like the creativity and fun…
    oooh, a big move and a bead sale… can’t wait… :)

39. Fashion Chick aka SC
    Fashion Chick aka SC says:

Congratulations on the new space!! I am excited for you and hope it goes as smooth as possible. Looking forward to the moving sale and all the additions to your site!!

Leslie S says:

In Michigan’s economy, this is truly good news. Can you say who you’re working with on the office/space designs? This is something the Steelcase folks in Grand Rapids would love to get their hands on.

Did you say MORE BEADS?

KWB DESIGNS says:

Leslie S: I used to sell Steelcase furniture… The BEST, and most comfortable chairs anywhere! And such beautiful desks!

Congratulations on finding a new place! My dad always says ‘Just wait, the right one will come along’.

I can’t wait to see ‘after’ photos. I’ll bet you are itching to get moved in. How exciting!

Alice

Congratulations on finding a new “nest” and “garden spot” with everything you wanted! Super cool!

I can say “moving bead sale”!! Hey, if you need help moving boxes (and could put me up) I’d be happy to help, you could pay me in beads even. LOL! :D

Sharon Palac says:

Congrats! You are such an inspiration to artists who are just starting their own business. With hard work and dedication, it can be done!

Some of my workl will be featured in jewelry magazines and you are on the material source list. Thanks for supplying me with great stones!

Sincerely,

Sharon Palac

45. LoriEllen
    LoriEllen says:

Yay!!!! That’s going to be an awesome space! You’ll have to post pictures when its all said and done. I’m so jealous of your jobs! haha

Cheryl T says:

Congrats to a great team who have given so much to so many. You will love the open space and sunshine. Did I hear MOVING SALE!!!!!!! sounds great too!!!!! Thanks for everything you guys do to make our lives happy and cheerful. Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Dizzy Chick Lori Z says:

I am SO HAPPY for all of you! What a relief it must be to finally have the place you want! I’m sure a great weight has been lifted from your shoulders, and wish you the best in your move!

I will add my voice to those who say to stay the way you are personally, though! We love the people, responsiveness and personality of this site. You are the BEST! :D

48. AllureofGemsGlamJulia
    AllureofGemsGlamJulia says:

Congratulations to all of you!
    And ,Yes, do not change otherwise:)!

49. WaterburyJewels
    WaterburyJewels says:

A nice office area that’s open: to fresh ideas and space …..room to breathe…..ahhh!

50. Candy aka Texas Grammy
    Candy aka Texas Grammy says:

This is fantastic news!! Everyone be safe while moving the office!

E Gardiner says:

On line and perhaps Sidewalk Sale? Maybe we could follow behind the moving van and see what gets dropped!!!

52. Bead-itudes
    Bead-itudes says:

You were reading my mind Kevin. As soon as I saw the post about Lima’s new space – I wondered when the moving sale would be announced. The more beads sold – the less to move – and the more cash on hand to make those improvements on the new space.
    LET THE MOVING SALE BEGIN…..?????

53. Debbi aka Sparkle Chick
    Debbi aka Sparkle Chick says:

If you build it, we will come….:)

54. Sunny Chick aka Diana
    Sunny Chick aka Diana says:

I’m not sure how this will show up on your site ~ but I need your help…I was notified that my necklace design made it to the final round of the ‘Flex Your Creativity’ contest at the Soft Flex Company…Now I need lots of votes for my Necklace: Extreme Trios, ‘Extreme Beauty Necklace by Diana Shiraishi. You have to go to http://www.softflexcompany.com.....Votes.html and vote for me!! The Champayne rice pearls I used in the design were from Lima Beads…the best supplier for rice pearls, as far as I’m concerned! Hope this makes it to someone, anyone…your help would mean a lot to me! Thanks so much! Diana