We Love Our Pets!

Posted by Matt on July 06 at 10:47 am

Here at Lima Beads, we love our pets and we’re always intrigued by the number of Lima customers with a reference to an animal in their screen name or profile photo. Pets are such an important part of our family and lives. You can meet the Lima team pets below and tell us about your pets (include photos!) in the comments.

Meet the Lima Pets

img_3577-copy

Matt

My wife and I have a Maltese, Minnie, and a dwarf hamster, Sebastian (we call him Sea Bass). Now that we have our own place, Minnie can come live with us again. We’re so happy to have her back. We would try to sneak her in to the apartment every once in a while, but every time we walked out the door, she would bark like crazy. She obviously didn’t understand the consequences! :)

As for Sea Bass, he loves to run on his wheel. So much so that the constant  squeaking was keeping us up at night. After a few applications of olive oil on the plastic axle, I think we’ve finally fixed it.

dakota

Kevin & Ali

Ali and I adopted Dakota from The Humane Society 7 years ago. They told us he was 2 years old, but in the first 6 months after we brought him home, he gained 25 pounds. We figure he was more like 6 months! He’s about 8 years old now and still acts like a puppy — endless energy, high-pitched bark, and all. We like to play fetch with the tennis ball to see who gets tired first. It’s always me…

reesey

Steve

I don’t have any pets myself, but my closest animal companions are my girlfriend Shannon’s dog Reesey and lovebird Lanny. Reesey is an Irish Setter mix from an adoption shelter who is usually being lazy somewhere (except when there is a bird in sight). She has a wonderful temperament and loves walking on trails and sunning herself on the patio. Lanny the lovebird doesn’t care for me that much, but she loves cuddling up in blankets and looking out the window. Her beak is powerful (trust me), and one time she sat on Reesey’s head and pecked her, causing Reesey to keep her distance from then on!

100_2979

Cathy

I have two crazy dogs. Their names are Diamond and Onyx. We probably spoil them too much.  We have had Diamond for 5 years now and Onyx for 4. They still act like puppies even though they are approaching middle age! They love each other and would be lost without one another. They love going for car rides, walks and bunny rabbits! My house would probably be a lot quieter without them, but I would not have it any other way!

ollies-going-away-party-018-copy

Amy

My cats are strays we took in. Their names are Toots and Skittles. Great cats and apparently both are pregnant. My kids are excited but the possibility of maybe 12 kitties is crazy!! Anyone want one?

My dog’s name is Kira. She’s an 8 year old chocolate lab. She like swimming in our pond and has become an expert frog hunter! She pretends to not like the cats but we’ve caught her playing with them! I don’t know how she’ll do with the new kitties. Again, know anyone who wants a kitty?

max-001-copy

Ingrid

This is my cat Max, who I adopted from the local humane society nine years ago.

He basically sleeps all day long, but those rare hours when he is awake he is underfoot, looking for attention, and is without a doubt purring. Unfortunately, he had to stay home with my parents when I went off to school, but luckily he still remembers me when I come home! Even though I probably have a biased opinion, I truly believe that he is the best cat ever!

What about you? We’d really love to hear more about your animal companions in the comments below. Take the poll, then upload photos or tell a funny story! The poll is multiple choice, so select as many furry, feathered, or scaled friends as you’d like.

Alas, no pets at present since I’m living with my parents. But I’ve had cats (3), dogs (4, but not all at once), gerbils (2), rabbits (4+), gold fish (6) and tropical fish (too many to count) over the years.

Our very first pet was our dog Skipper when I was a child, she was a beagle mix and very much loved. Because of our town’s leash law, when my Grandpa Al lost his German Shepard (old age), we gave her to him and my Grandma as there new “watch dog” (my Dad HATED seeing her tied up, and this way we still got to see her when we visited my Grandparents). We used to say that she wasn’t much of a watch dog, that any robber would only be hurt by her if he tripped over her in the dark. My Grandpa Al adored her, towards the end of her life she looked like an aircraft carrier wallowing in high seas when she walked, all belly and flat back. She was the best dog he ever had he used to say.

This is a picture of her with my brother in our kitchen hallway.

Attachment

I have 4 goats, 4 bunnies, 10 chickens, 1 guinea pig, 1 hamster, 1 mouse, and 1 dog!!! ;)

3. Chicky Suz aka Susan Z
    Chicky Suz aka Susan Z says:

We lost our 22 year old girl cat 3 years ago in Oct, she all of a sudden got sick and we had to put her down,it was very sad. We now have 2 Orange boy cats that my husband and I got from the Shelter, after Nina was gone I missed having a cat. I knew we could not replace her, so we got the 2 boys at age 6 months. Eric is the big goofy one and Redd is the small scaredy cat. They race through the house and beat each other up pretty good,and then we will catch them sleeping side by side on the bed!

4. Anita QoG Funny Chick
    Anita QoG Funny Chick says:

I have a cat named Gingko, & a dog named Saddie. We’re cat sitting our “grandson cat” Rufus!!! He belongs to our son Ryan. But, I also have a “grand-daughter cat” Callie!! Our daughters cat!!

5. Anita QoG Funny Chick
    Anita QoG Funny Chick says:

I forgot to mention, Saddie is half Collie & half German Shepherd, she wieghs 76 pds. Ginko is a calico & wieghs about 6 pds. she’s full grown, but very tiny!!!

6. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

We currently have 4 cats (out door/indoor) 1 dog (the tomcat pronounces it DOG as in ditry rotten dog)and 4 Llamas. This picture is of our yellow male cat “Sunshine” at 6 months. He is outragously funny. He is famous for his run and flops. He litterly runs then flopps down and looks up at you like aren’t I cute. Yes he is. The Cat family is ruled by a 12 year old Tomcat named Floyd. Very Alpha male. He takes care and watches out for all of the other cats. The Dog is farily new, a 2yr old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. Still working the disipline stuff out like don’t chase the Cats or the Llamas, but doing pretty good so far. He also is a big car ride doggy. Even if its the few yards out to our front gate.
    It’s the total acceptance that only a pet can give that makes it worth all of trouble they may cause.

7. Crystal Jewels
    Crystal Jewels says:

We have a Silky Pomeranian. We got her in March 2008 and on Aug 26 2008, she was run over by a train. The vet did not think that she would survive her injuries by morning. She has survived with the loss of one eye and one hind leg. She is just as healthy as ever and can still chase the children around the yard. She is a great guard dog except that her bark is worse than her bite. LOL Don’t know what we would do without her now.

I’m soooo glad to hear that she survived! :D

9. Crystal Jewels
    Crystal Jewels says:

Thanks, Nicole.

C Peebles — Is this really Evelyn aka 3KJewels/3K Chick or her daughter? Either way, I’m so happy your Silky survived her injuries! :D

Little Chick, you’ll have to post a photo of Cheyenne here — she’s beautiful! :D

12. Crystal Jewels
    Crystal Jewels says:

Thanks Lynn, yes, this is Evelyn. I am visiting with my daughter today and using her computer and the dog belongs to my daughter and her children. She is just adorable, the dog that is. LOL

13. Shannon aka Silly Chick
    Shannon aka Silly Chick says:

Oh dear! Still have a lump in my throat from C’s Pom story! What a little trooper she is!
    My brood includes: JACKSON – 11 year old ‘Dorky’(Dachsund and Yorky) from a foster program, GINGER – 4 yr old Butterscotch Siberian who adopted us – she appeared out of the blue after hubby and I returned home from the Nat’l Cancer Inst. in Maryland for his 1st appt after being accepted for the protocol that saved his life (how did she know we needed her?), ELOISE – a 3 yr old Schnauzer/Beagle mix from a foster home, GELSIE – an Italian Greyhound mix we adopted as a stray we call her ‘Baby Whatsapuppy’ b/c she’s such an odd-looking little thing – all leg!
    Then there’s TINKERBELL the long-hair kitty from a shelter and our newest, SMOKY – an 8 week old long-haired tabby born under a woman’s house (Would y’all like a kitten? Why sure we would! We are insane!) We don’t have a home – we have a kennel! :)

14. Steph
    Steph says:

I have 3 dogs, a bull terrier named Snoopy, a pit bull mix and a daschund,jack russel rat terrier mix who was rescued from Lousisanna. My sister has two chihuahua’s a pit bull and a foster who came back that we’re keeping. He is a pit bull, chihuahua, min pin mix. He came from a hoarder in Texas. I sometimes think dogs are much easier than kids. Just say want a cookie and everyone listens. My sisters pit bull is the only female so my mother calls her princess and she’s also afraid of the chihuahua’s.

15. Steph
    Steph says:

This is Rascal, and his name suits him to a T. It would be nice if I could fit in my bed too.

Attachment Attachment

We have 4 cats; Frodo, Pippin, Bilbo and Rosie Cotton.
    2 Dogs; Lady Arwen our black and white Siberian Husky. We got her from someone that needed a home for a whole litter of unexpected puppies. The mother was a stray and decided to stay with them and 2 weeks later gave them 5 puppies! She looked a lot like a large white wolf!
    So we are uncertain of our girl’s full parentage. She is full of herself and can be quite a handful. But she is also very intelligent and quite a sweetie!
    Strider-our big German Shepherd, we got from a breeder. He’s a big fun loving goof but is smart and very much a gentleman.
    2 birds; Mac our Umbrella Cockatoo (a perptual 2 year old)and Mango our little Senagal parrot that adores my husband.

17. Cathy H Chocolate Chick
    Cathy H Chocolate Chick says:

We have a wonderful dog that we found in the dumpster behind the store where we work,someone had thrown her away! When we found her she was small and very scared. She is a beagle mix and is so precious to us! Her name is Suzie Q and she is 9 years old.

18. Steph
    Steph says:

To Cathy H Chocolate Chick. There should be more people like you out there, I’m glad you found her. Snoopy is also 9, my old man I call him. Ours are all rescues. I would never pay so much money for a dog when so many waste away in shelters. Snoopy was $20 when I got him at the pound, you couldn’t pay me all the $ in the world for him. Sorry Lima team, even if it could buy me all the beads.

19. Cathy H Chocolate Chick
    Cathy H Chocolate Chick says:

Steph, I know what you mean about someone trying to buy your dog. It would be like selling a child. Thanks.

It’s so good to hear everyone’s stories about their pets and to look at all the great pictures!
    Last September, we had to put our wonderful English pointer Alex down due to cancer. That was on a Friday. We only lasted three days before we were at the shelter to just ‘look’ at the dogs….three hours later we came back home with two; Zula, a black lab/pitbull cross and Shelby, a doberman/rotweiller cross. I don’t know if we would have even gotten over losing Alex if it weren’t for these two girls! Our daughter says we should have named them Mayham and Chaos, which would have totally suited them.

21. Cotopaxi Chickie Sue
    Cotopaxi Chickie Sue says:

Some great stories here! We have a dog named Bandit and a cat named Misha. Bandit came from the humane society when he was 3 months old – I used to take him to work with me, since I worked an hour away from home. He’s a border collie crossed with something big! Misha is a Himalayan cross. A woman from my work had 2 adult cats, not fixed, and they both got pregnant within 3 weeks of each other – she had 20 kittens, and was desperate to find homes for them. I agreed to take one, even though I had always been allergic to cats. one stipulation, though – that she get her moms fixed! It pains me to see so many animals in shelters. I’d take more of them if I could.

2 notes: Bandit is now Bob’s dog rather than mine, and I’m no longer allergic to cats! BTW, she is an indoor cat!

Attachment Attachment

Elaine and Sue – Stunning pictures of Alex and Bandit. They look like they were posing for art photography. Great pictures of Zula, Shelby and Misha too. :)

I agree, Christine! Bandit’s photo looks like a painting to me! Alex definitely looks as though he was posing for the camera, too. I am enjoying reading everyone’s “pet tails”! ;-)

We have a little toy poodle named Shelby who will be 12 yrs old in Oct. She was 7 when we rescued her — or should I say when she rescued us! We had lost our previous toy poodle, Angel, to cancer 10 mos earlier. She was a wonderful little dog and we were devestated when we had to have the vet help her along on her journey. But after 10 mos., we felt we were ready to love another fur baby. We learned of Shelby — her owner had died and she had been passed from home to home within the owner’s family. At one home she was kept outside — hard to believe, since poodles are such social animals! The family we got her from needed to find her a home because Shelby needed surgery for mammary tumors and they couldn’t afford it. The wife wanted to find her a new home, while the husband just wanted to have her put to sleep. :-( We took her home with us the same day we met her! She had the surgery, & our vet said it was a good thing she had it because the cells were already pre-cancerous. Luckily, she has been fine since. She has brought so much love & joy into our lives!!! Whenever people tell us how lucky Shelby is to have found us, we tell them that we are the lucky ones! :D

Attachment

Awww … Lynn, she’s such a little cutie! That’s such a nice picture of the two of you together.

Here’s Cheyenne (my german shepherd)!

Attachment

We have just one cat, but she is a hand full. With the help of my grandaughter Liz, then 5, the name became Princess Belle My Little Kitty, and Liz told us that Belle’s secret power is climbing trees. :-)
    We had just lost our two previous cats due to age and respiratory infections that were unresponsive to antibiotics. Then my husband called and said “we have a kitten here at our business, & you need to come look.” He found her mewing pitifully in the shrubs by our shop, and he saw the probable mother cat, dead on the highway out front. We took her to the vet, got her examinined and immunized, etc. and with the all clear, we took home our new “6 toed grey tiger striped american domestic shorthair.” That’s the vet description; we just love our little rescue kitty.
    They did warn us that typically, the 6 toed cats are smart and full of mischief.
    Yep!

28. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

Wally (AKC Renegade’s W Wallace) is a Brittney. He’s a bird dog, and my husband takes him pheasant hunting. He’s also the most snuggly dog I have ever known. Describing him and how much we love him would take a book–we are so ga-ga.

Attachment Attachment Attachment

Thanks, Christine! It’s one of my fave photos! :D

Atomic Toad, I know what you mean about being able to write a book. LOL I had to stop myself from writing more about Shelby……I have to remind myself that just because WE think she’s fascinating doesn’t mean everyone else does! LOL

Little Chick, thanks for posting that cute pix of Cheyenne with her giant “bead” — LOL — I just love that photo of her! :D

Harriet, it sounds as though Princess Belle found you just at the right time! :D

Isn’t it amazing how many of our pets are rescued animals or animals that just seemed to find us?!?!?! :D

31. JEM Beader
    JEM Beader says:

I have male Havanese that I purchased from a Rescue Organization. I think he was a pet shop reject – he’s too big for the breed and has an underbite, but he’s adorable. One hold over from his bad start, though, is that he’s scared of people. I have two cats, both old. Mandy is the Queen of the house. Zach is the oldest and is basically the low man on the totem pole. Everyone picks on him. Tina (as in teenie, tiny) is my dwarf hamster.

;) I remember that “giant bead” conversation! :D

Me, too, Little Chick! LOL ;-)

What great pictures!!
    I agree with Lynn…that picture of Bandit looks just like a painting! A beautiful spot for ‘man’s/woman’s best friend’ to explore.
    Love that picture of Wally with the sock in his mouth too….he looks very mischievous! :-D

Elaine, when I’m looking at your photo of Shelby and Zula, is Shelby the two-toned and Zula the solid black? They are both beautiful! I love your “alternate” names for them. LOL

I still find it amazing that we have dogs with the same name! :D

Carla B says:

Oh my…we have 6 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 5 goats. Here’s a photo of our cutting horse, my Spanish Mustang, and also my 25 year old Arabian. Yes all have names, even the goats!

Attachment Attachment Attachment

Hi Lynn, Shelby is the two-toned and Zula is the black lab cross. I almost wish we would have named them those alternate names because….wow!!
    BTW, I came back to this conversation to leave a comment that it is good to see a close-up picture of you and your Shelby!! :-D

38. Chicky Bear-Tara
    Chicky Bear-Tara says:

We have three cats, Peanut, Puck, Ringo, three rats, Ivy, Taki, Dorian Gray….Dorian is a hairless rat, and a degu named Dante. Degu’s are gerbil like rodents…small to medium rat size…from Chile. All three of our cats were strays. We’ve had Peanut and Puck since they were born. They are 12 now. All three are tabbys.

Thanks, Elaine! Isn’t it funny, too, that both of our Shelbys are dark with tan markings? :D

kitty mom jb says:

Two kitties – brothers from the same litter, Jack and Jager. One’s fat and fuzzy (Jager), the other sleek and slim (Jack). They will be celebrating their 4th b-day in August. And they both are insane, especially at 3:00 am.

kitty mom jb says:

YEA! I found the more recent pics – my sister took these!

42. Milli aka Big Kitty
    Milli aka Big Kitty says:

My Lhasa Apso, Buddy, on the porch having fun; my three cats: Mu (pronounced “mew”), Benny, and Garfield. All four are rescues or shelter animals. I’m currently fostering 8 kittens and a mama cat for a local animal sanctuary, as well.

Attachment Attachment

Kitty Mom, these are so cute! Jager looks as if he just got caught with his paw in the proverbial cookie jar! LOL

Milli, look at your profile photo. Now look at what your kitties are laying on. Hmmmmmmmm Any relation? I certainly hope not! LOL ;-)

45. Milli aka Big Kitty
    Milli aka Big Kitty says:

Wow that picture of Bandit *does* look like a painting or a postcard! I’d have it enlarged and hang it over the sofa.

46. Milli aka Big Kitty
    Milli aka Big Kitty says:

LOL that’s my winter bedspread for the daybed in my living room! They show up rather well in that pic, too! That entire room is given over to jungle/feline motifs.

Welllllll, OK, Milli. Just wanted to be sure no “Big Kitties” were harmed in the making of that bedspread. LOL

48. Steph
    Steph says:

Beautiful horses Carla B. If I could have one I would, trust me. My sisters and I use to clean stables when we were younger just to be able to ride.

Elaine “Belly Chick” I know all too well what it’s like to have to put a friend down. We’ve had animals all through out my growing up. I also used to work at the SPCA here and it was even worse when you know they just had to go to make room or for other reasons. My sister volunteers at a high kill shelter. Between the both of us we must have hundreds of pictures and memories of dogs. It is not easy. I try to think they are all together now healthy and playing and I’ll be with them all someday in dog heaven cause I don’t want to go to people heaven. The girls look like they could be twins they’re beautiful, and Alex will never be forgotten. I think my life would be more like mahem and caos without my dogs even though they sometimes add to it. Rescues are the best and animals do make your life better.

49. Steph
    Steph says:

Luv to bead little chick. I love the deflated soccer ball, Cheyenne’s pretty too. I have to kick the soccer balls back an forth while they just chase them with another toy in their mouths. The toys with stuffing are all unstuffed and the birds get free nesting. At least they’re all having fun.
    These are pics of the whip cream frenzy, they hear the cap come off and come running.

Attachment Attachment Attachment

OMG, Steph, that is just tooooo funny! I have never seen dogs go crazy for canned whipped cream like that. Usually they insist on Cool Whip in the tub. ROTFLOL ;-)

Of course, your finest purebred dogs would insist upon having freshly whipped cream straight out of the refrigerator! LOL :D

OK, true confession time — How many of you let your pet sleep on/in the bed with you? I’ll be the first to fess up — Angel had bed privileges and so does Shelby. Shelby actually likes to sleep UNDER the covers!!! :D And for a dog who only weighs 9 pounds, she sure is a bed hog! LOL

Steph – she’s pure-bred and very smart (not to mention very naughty)! She deflates almost every ball she can get her teeth on! :D She loves whipped cream too!
    Chicky LE – I wish Cheyenne could sleep in bed with me, but mom & dad won’t let her :(

Whipped into a frenzy, huh Steph! :D LOL, too funny!

Your doggie clan are a good looking bunch, especially Snoopy (very photogenic). Don’t tell the others I said so though, I wouldn’t want them to be jealous.

55. KPJEWELS
    KPJEWELS says:

I have a tortoise shell kitty who is 16 years old and totally blind. It is amazing what she can do without her eyesight. She has been blind now for a year. She can go outdoors and wander the yard and still get back to the deck at the back door. Her days are spent sleeping on the deck or my bed. She is very intelligent and seems to understand everything I say to her. When she is near any steps, I will say “Watch your step.” and she puts her front paw out in front of her until she finds the edge of the step. She is delightful and I would be lost without her.

56. SweetPea
    SweetPea says:

Our sweet angel is a 10 month old Jack Russell named Murphy. He is very loving (loves to give kisses & always wants to be near his family), energetic, & so very smart. He loves to go riding in the car or truck with his head hanging out the window (head out only in the neighborhood, driving slow), swimming in our pool (but mainly standing on a float riding around in the pool), spending time with his Mammaw & Papaw, my parents, who babysit while my husband & I work, & riding on my Dad’s big John Deere mower (no, he’s hasn’t learned how to drive yet). He also enjoys hanging out with his “dog buddies” Jake, Petri, & Max. We loved 2 other precious angels, Oliver, who was 10 years old when he passed away in 2005 & Gracie, who was almost 10 years old when she passed away in 2008. Both were Jack Russells & we loved them so much & will always miss them.

kitty mom jb says:

I just love all these stories!

Steph – love the whipped cream idea. My two cats love whipped cream too. Can’t keep it in the house because the husband and the cats will eat nothing else…oye!

BTW – we almost bought Swiss Mountain dogs this past weekend…they are SO cute, HUGE, but cute and lovely…eeek!!!

58. Milli aka Big Kitty
    Milli aka Big Kitty says:

Lynn, all my furry friends sleep with me. I have a king sized bed and they take up most of it!

LB folks you’ve done it again by posting pics and stories of your own pets… and I’m really enjoying everyone’s pet stories and pics…
    its sooo true that we don’t really pick our pets, THEY pick US…

In response to Lynn’s question about pets sleeping w/ us… my two cats Sweetpea and Tiny miss used to sleep with me… and let’s just say that they didn’t OBSERVE weekends and holidays… Sweetpea the older kitty tried to wake me up early one weekend morning by butting her head against my ribs… and I told her “NOT now sweetie”… both were tortoiseshell kitties, so I can relate 3K to your story of your tortoiseshell kitty who is now blind but a really important member of your family!

Steph, your pics of your dogs and the whipped cream are sooo funny… haven’t encountered any other dogs who would do that!!! :)

60. Shannon aka Silly Chick
    Shannon aka Silly Chick says:

Embarrassing to say, but Jack sleeps on my pillow, Gelsie sleeps under the covers, and Tinkerbell squeezes in wherever there’s an untaken spot…ALL the rest sleep in the bedroom and compete to see who can snore the loudest!

61. Chicky Bear-Tara
    Chicky Bear-Tara says:

Oh…All three of my cats sleep on my side of the bed. One around my head, one in back of the crook of my legs, and the other wherever he can find a place. Peanut thinks my pillow is his. Ringo likes to be petted at all hours of the night and if I don’t wake up to pet him after he nudges me with his cold, wet nose, he meows and finds something to crinkle. He is a brat cat…that’s for sure.

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

I love reading everyone’s stories and the pictures are beautiful! Atomic Toad, your picture cracks me up!! My dog, Penny, follow me everwhere and snuggles beside me whenever I sit or lay down! I didn’t grow up with dogs, so I had to get used to her “companionship”. Now I don’t know what I will do…you know..I have never lost a dog before and don’t want to think about it! She is 12 years old.

We’ve had a lot of hamsters over the years and have some funny hamster stories and a few holes in our walls as we try to find Houdini Hamsters.

We’ve been foster parents to bunnies on occasion, now we just have one as a pet.

Attachment Attachment Attachment

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

A foster bunny and our fish

64. Pam
    Pam says:

My babies. Gracie is the small boston terrier – she’s about 8 yrs old. Butch is the larger boston – he’s about 4. Then Kellie came along, the white boxer, she’s the baby – not quite 2 yet. They are such a joy and so loving!

Attachment Attachment Attachment

Awww….more great pictures!! :-D

I am SO loving this — it’s fun to read about everyone’s pets & their stories! :D

OK — How spoiled is your pet? Shelby only gets cold water to drink from the refrigerator. We actually keep a Rubbermaid pitcher w/lid in the fridge labeled “Shelby’s water”! She also has her own Jeff Gordon blanket to sleep with on the couch because she is a HUGE NASCAR fan. She watches all the races on TV with us. She also takes it with her in the car. :D

Have you ever noticed that your pets share the same sports interests, religion, etc. as you do? ROTFLOL We never thought to ask Shelby when we adopted her — we just assumed. ;-) Yikes! What if she doesn’t like the Green Bay Packers or Jeff Gordon? Oh, no….. LOL

Hehehe!! :-D

Awwww … Plucky and Pam, your little ones are such cuties. Pam, I love how Kellie seems to be standing guard over Gracie. :)
    Lynn … Shelby isn’t spoiled, she’s just properly pampered.

69. SweetPea
    SweetPea says:

I’m so loving everyone’s pet stories!! People who don’t love animals don’t know what they’re missing..unconditional love, excitement, love, wet kisses, love, snuggling, love, extreme happiness, love, wonderful, funny surprises @ any time, love, beautiful, sweet faces just staring @ you saying “I love you!”, & did I mention LOVE? The list could go on forever!!!

SweetPea, don’t forget about LOVE!!! :D

Christine, I looked back at the pix of Pam’s dog Kellie — I’m wondering if Gracie was just looking for some shade! LOL ;-)

Plucky, I enlarged the photo of your hamster and almost fell off my chair laughing at the words underneath the photo!!! ROTFLOL Our daughter had many hamsters, gerbils, and even a rat over the years and that is all too true!!! :D

Christine, regarding Shelby being spoiled, I like your version better — “properly pampered”!!! :D

I’ve told many people that Shelby is finally living the life which she was born to live! Also, since we don’t know much about her past, we tell people that she is in the Canine Witness Protection Program and that is why she can’t discuss her past with us. ROTFLOL ;-)

kitty mom jb says:

The boys get ice cubes every morning. They hear the ice maker and coming running from every direction. It’s my favorite part of the morning watching them chase the ice cubes all over the floor. Even when we are away, my cat sitter has instructions to give Jack and Jager ice cubes!!

Lynn – good one, Canine Witness Protection…LOL

Bella Chick aka Chill says:

Our Yorkie, Cody, is my “photo” for me…he is much cuter than I am! He is 2 years old & we were able to rescue him from my sister-in-law’s neighbor whose elderly mom became ill with dementia and forgot to feed him…we adopted him from the neighbor and her 3 terrorizing cats and huge dog (aka horse)when he was 10 months old…he is a love…we ask for “kisses” and he licks our chin until WE have had enough… otherwise, he would lick us for hours!!! He is such a dear friend!

I forgot to mention that in 2005 my dwarf hamster Black Beauty had 5 babies (that I hadn’t been expecting). I was allowed to keep one & I found good homes for the others. I kept a very friendly white female & named her Powder Puff. It was funny to watch her do back flips at night! Unfortunately she got a tumor and passed away a little bit before her 1st birthday but I’m really glad I picked her! Has anyone else who had/has hamsters seen any of them do back flips?

Carla B. You have some beautiful horses there!!
    The Spanish Mustang is just breathtakingly beautiful!!! :-)
    Oh what I’d give to be able to have such a gorgeous creature. But my poor old back just can’t take the wear and tear anymore of cleaning stalls and all the other work that comes with it. :-(

76. BlueLapis
    BlueLapis says:

At one time or another I have had at least one of every animal on the poll with the exception of the spiders and bugs.(unless they were food for other pets)At present we have one mixed german sheperd and chow dog named Samantha (but she answers to Spam)We also have 4 cats. 2 Siamese (one chocolate point and one all white)and 2 rescued tabby’s(one gray and white fluffy and his all black short hair sister)And the quietest pets are an aquarium full of giant goldfish.

Clarith says:

My dogs are my kids now that the house is clearing out. I brought Chelsea the blonde golden from Belgrade, Yugoslavia she is twelve. And Harley the dark golden retriever(my husbands first Harley)we got when we came back to the US after a tour of Embassy Duty in Belgrade.

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

Clarith, your “pups” have the most loving faces!!

Luv2bead, we have had many hamsters and none have done flips! They just escaped a lot. Once my son woke up at 3 am with his sitting on his chest!

The baby hamsters I posted were born right after Christmas. Santa brought the mom hamster for my daughter. Those babies were SO tame because they were held early!

I am still coming back and reading these every day just because it makes me feel so good to read everyone’s stories! Please don’t ever delete this, LB!!! :D

Kitty Mom, our previous toy poodle, Angel, was crazy for ice cubes, too. Whenever we opened up the freezer door, she would come running and sit and beg for them! LOL Shelby has no interest in them. She’ll come running, but when she realizes they aren’t “food”, she turns and walks away. LOL

BlueLapis, if I have spiders and/or insects in my house, it’s more likely due to a lack of dusting on my part!!! ROTFLOL Dusting vs. beading — guess which one wins every time? ;-)

80. Sherry aka Parrot Chick
    Sherry aka Parrot Chick says:

Wow what does one say about a pet… they run our house… we have 3 parrots the one in my Icon is chester he is an 18 yr old rescue that I have had for five years now. He is a Blue fronted Amazon with quite an opinated character… loves to holler “WHAT ABOUT CHESTER!!!” if he feels left out of something. Kiwi AKA the Brat is 8yr old orange winged amazon who was our first parrot. He is likely to say anything anybody else says so we are very careful about naught words around him. tho i do have to admit that he has picked up the phrase “That Sucks” from me. He is THE MOST DETERMINED animal I have ever seen if he sets his mind to something the only way to stop him is to lock him in his cage cause he has no quit in him and no is not in his vocabulary. Did I mention that he is also tone deaf? I swear this bird can not whistle a tune for his life but “thinks he can… he whistles.. and dances and struts around like a star but OMG! ahhh just part of his charm! Rollo is a Mexican Redheaded amazon. He is also a rescue that we acquired about a year ago… he was very badly abused by men and is EXTREMLY afraid of all men. even after all this time he will still strike out at my husband when he passed his cage or tries to put something on it…. but we are making great progress with him he will let me put him on greg, or let greg pick him up if the dogs get too close… the dogs… We have 2 miniture schnauzers brothers 3 yrs old Tucker and Rhett they were raised with the birds so dont know that all household dont have the dang noisy things to contend with. they all interact very well. except poor Rollor who trust no male of any species.

Attachment

Plucky Chick – that’s pretty funny! I had several of my hamsters escape, but luckily I always found them! My baby hamsters were held early too! :D ;)

82. Sherry aka Parrot Chick
    Sherry aka Parrot Chick says:

Here is my two furry friends Tucker AKA “Donkey” is very active does not like to cuddle but loves to have his back scratched … he just about melts lol ;) Rhett we is just the opposite of Tuck he LOVES to cuddle up at all times and laid back mellow. You wouldnt know that they were litter brothers. My brother has a third brother from the same litter .. Sammy and he tends to be more like Rhett They all were raised together untill Sammy moves away and we all miss him very much. Yes I have to admit … they sleep on the end of the bed… well Rhett sneaks up between us when he thinks he can ;)

Attachment Attachment

Helen G aka tea chick says:

we have a little grey and white cat named Ivy, just turned 1 in May. She’s very sweet and patient (too patient, really) with our daughters.

Her favorite pose is the “Supercat” one pictured below- faster than a speeding locomotive when she hears food in her bowl! Can leap tall kitchen counters where she’s not supposed to go! It’s SUPERKITTY!

Attachment

Great pictures of Super Kitty, Tucker and Rhett! Love that picture of him lying on his back in his bed!! :-D
    Parrots have such beautiful colors on them, it’s no wonder they are so popular!!
    All of the pictures here are so nice; this world would be awfully boring and bland if we didn’t have our pets of choice, eh?!!

85. cottagecharms
    cottagecharms says:

Such great stories and pics! My special pet is my cat Jessie(in my avavtar) she is 4 years old and a grey white and brown tiger cat. I rescued her from a shelter when she was around 1 yr. She is so spoiled by myself and my two daughters but follows my husband around like a lovesick schoolgirl! She’s a great cat and I’m so glad she found me!

86. Becca W
    Becca W says:

I have two cats; Franky & Tippy. Frank is my first love, we’ve had him since he was a kitten. My avitar has him & *Simon*… our former Beta fish…who suddenly went missing one afternoon, never to be seen again.
    :( We rescued Tippy about 3 years ago from my brother -in-law. She’s feisty and full of *catitude* & keeps Frank on his toes for sure!

Carla B says:

I have to put up a photo of another pet. This is Tootie, my pet goat. She was an orphan and I bottle fed her. She loves to relax in the chairs on the back porch and is more comfortable hanging out with our dogs and cats than the other goats. Her best friend is out dog, Annie. Unfortunately, Tootie’s favorite foods are my geraniums and hibiscus…

88. Southern Chickie
    Southern Chick says:

Okay, here are a couple of pictures of my Sammy and my great-niece Bella taken last week in NW Ohio. He is a Pit-Bull type terrier and he is a “KILLER”…Note Bella’s fingers in his mouth…The TERROR!!! Also, look at that long suffering look on his face as she continues to “torment” him. Poor Sammy!

Attachment Attachment

Oh, Donna, the expression on Sammy’s face is priceless!!! LOL The poor guy looks like he just wants to be anywhere else. “Calgon, take me away!” or “Beam me up, Scotty.” — either one would make great captions for this photo! LOL :D

Donna, I just read your e-mail and you are right! Sammy could be singing “Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen” in this pix! ROTFLOL

91. JadaBug Chick
    JadaBug Chick says:

My kitties are mommy and son the gray one in my icon is snoops the son of my black one Nora the are both fixed…. I’d love another kitty but my mom is alergic and my 2 cats are already outside and she wiill not let me have another kitty:(. I have been an animal lover eversince I knew what an animal was! Cats are my favorite animal in the whole entire universe!!:)

92. Leigh D
    Leigh D says:

I grew up with dogs and for awhile there we had hamsters that kept multiplying on their own :-) While I have always been a dog person – I now also have a cat. Tally is our 11 y/o Silky Terrier and Guapo is our 12 y/o Tabby. While they did not grow up together (combined by marriage) – Guapo and Tally get along great. Both of them make me laugh till I cry with their antics

93. Valentine Chick
    Valentine Chick says:

Two Cats: Nora and Snoops
    ~Jada told you about them already on the comments, but didn’t add pix. Nora is very skittish, with good reason…She got her paw caught in a trap this winter and lost about 1/2 of it. We think she chewed herself free. :( She just now is starting to hunt again :) Snoops is her baby, and he fits his name well…He snoops around and gets himself in lots of trouble: shedding on my outdoor cushions, sneaking in my house, camoing himself under my bird feeder and killing my birds, and roaming for days at a time. Check out my picks about them titled Cat Lover and Hoppin Mad!

One Beta Fish: Malkin
    ~Chase named him after a hockey player.
    One Unwanted Bear: DARN BEAR
    ~I’ve had one of these too. Unwanted might I add. I also made a picks about him and his destruction called Darn Bear and Bear Soup.

Attachment

Leigh, Tally is 11 years old? My gosh he/she looks like a PUPPY!! Super cute, and Guapo too!

Jen & Jada, I’m so sorry about Nora’s poor little paw. How horrible! I’m glad that she’s better now. It’s too bad that Snoops isn’t big enough to chase DARN BEAR away for you, he sounds the handful – Snoops, not DARN BEAR.

Starsparkle Spiral Chick says:

I’m definitely a cat person. I have 3. A fluffy tortoiseshell called Tuppence. She’s 13 & loves people but hates other cats.
    And 2 tabby & white cats, Charlie & Eddie. Charlie is very sweet & loves chocolate. Eddie is
    the cat equivilant of a thug ~ if I hear any cats screeching in the neighbourhood I know Eddie is involved somehow! He invariably has scratches on his nose & has slits in both ears. He is very sweet when he wants to be & loves all fruit except citrus.

Attachment Attachment Attachment

96. Valentine Chick
    Valentine Chick says:

Thanks CAS!

RubberT aka Plucky Chick says:

Oh, ladies, all of these pet pictures and pet stories are priceless!! Thanks for sharing! It is amazing how they each have their personalities! I didn’t know a goat could look so relaxed in a chair!

98. Sherry aka Parrot Chick
    Sherry aka Parrot Chick says:

Ok… I got to share a Kiwi momemnt with you all. Was Very Hot and muggy this week end so husband greg decided to take a dip in the pool with our grandson Raiden.. and Kiwi decided that maybe that would be fun too..so he floated around on noodle abd enjoyed the back yard festivities!

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment

Oh, Sherry, what a cute story — thanks for posting photos, too! :D

100. Sherry aka Parrot Chick
    Sherry aka Parrot Chick says:

Thanks Lynn… that silly little guy is scared of nothing… other birds wouldnt get near the pool.. let alone float on anything.. :)

Roxy, an 8yo sweet-natured female greyhound (retired ex-racer, racing name: “Boston Sunshine”) & Liam, a red betta (won at a volleyball banquet)

102. Leigh D
    Leigh D says:

Sherry – I cannot believe you got your parrot in the pool. Tally – my silky terrier – gets upset if she has to walk on grass that is wet with dew – forget about the full on water. LOL

103. Leigh D
    Leigh D says:

Sherry – by the way is Tucker aka “Donkey” a schnauser? Did I spell that right? His ears are hillarious!

104. Sherry aka Parrot Chick
    Sherry aka Parrot Chick says:

ROFLOL yes he is a full blood mini. schnauzer! Our vet gave him the nick name when we took him in for his first vaccines. He walked in and said – Is your name Donkey? poor little guy get called that and yoda and mule… lol. He dont mind as long as we love him!! :)

Mystic Chick, is Roxy posing with her pet bear? LOL ;-)

106. Southern Chickie
    Southern Chick says:

Poor Donkey…My husband fell over laughing! Our granddogs are Schnauzers. Katie and Rupert.
    Mystic, isn’t Roxy precious! She knows she’s cute!

That’s so funny, Donna! We have 1 granddog — Daisy, and 4 grandcats — Wuzzy, Oscar, Max, and Houdini. Daisy was my grandmother’s dog and my daughter & son-in-law promised her they would take Daisy (a black lab mix) when my grandmother passed. That was in 2001. Daisy went from living with a 91 yr old Senior to a household that now has 3 little girls (3 1/2 yrs, 1 1/2 yrs, 4 mos) and 4 cats. She adjusted beautifully to it all and also gets along wonderfully with our little Shelby. :D And yes, Daisy was a rescued dog, too!

108. Tina Louise
    Tina Louise says:

It’s so encouraging to read of all the rescued pets!! So many beaders seem to be very attached to their pets: is there a connection between creativity and our love of animals?

Yes, I believe there is! We all have open and loving hearts — both are needed to be creative and to nurture another living being. :D

110. Little Round Chick
    Little Round Chick says:

WOW! Pet Lovers Unanimous. Like all of you I have a pair of pets, a dog named Merlin and a cat named Gomez. Gomez is black and white and all decked out in formal attire. I named him after Gomez Addams…Adams? what ever. He and Merlin are both rescue animals, Merlin from the streets and Gomez from a family with cat allergies. We had two other cats, Rover and Rosebud aka Rosepudge. Rover was a red mackerel tabby. He was 15 years old and had to be put down after he started having seizures. Pudge was a chunky calico and queen of the critters. She had to put down, also, because of some weird lung disease that made breathing very difficult. We have no idea what the problem was just than her lungs were almost totally opaque. My vet said she had never seen anything like it. Merlin was the last to move into the house. He is very pack oriented and immediately assumed the position of low man on the totem pole. We have absolutely no idea what breeds are in his background. However, he is a beautiful bronze color with matching eyes, white toes with freckles, a bushy tail like a fox white tip and all. He’s about 55 lbs. and a true companion animal.

I can’t imagine not having pets. Some of my earliest memories are of the family cats. I even had a cat when we were living in the Philippines. She was a local street kitten who grew up to be a Holy Terror. She was black and inclined to behave outrageously.

Little Round Chick, great stories about your pets! I feel the same way, I couldn’t live without dogs and I feel that rescuing a dog is the best thing a person can do. I would never have a purebred anything, not because I don’t like them but because I feel a rescue is way more important. And these rescues for us have always turned out better than we could imagine!! :-D

112. Pam
    Pam says:

Plucky – See Gracie’s eyes.

113. Lynn in Oz
    Lynn in Oz says:

Aso some would know, I have an amazingly gorgeous Kelpie x Border Collie called Jabari (Swahili for Valient).

Ja-Ja is 7 months old now and is a terror LOL

He is my shadow and my protector and I would not cope without him anymore.

The first piccy is from the day after we got him and the 2nd piccy is when he was about 4 months old.

114. Lynn in Oz
    Lynn in Oz says:

And here is one from yesterday. He was engaged in his 2nd favourite pastime (his first being chewing my good leather shoes!).

Sorry about the extra post- for some reason I can only do 2 photos at a time.

Attachment

Thanks for the update on Jabari, Lynn! I remember the pick you did when you were hoping your landlord would let you get him and how it had such a happy ending…..He is such a handsome boy! Hmmmmmm That isn’t one of your children’s leg bones in the last photo, is it? ROTFLOL Sorry, I have a very weird sense of humor….. 8O

116. Lynn in Oz
    Lynn in Oz says:

Lynn you weren’t supposed to notice that! LOL

He is a handsome boy- but one who isn’t liking this heat! He does love a swim in the river though :)

• No PhotoUnarer R said »
    “This narrates you a lot about a company concern theoretical account's military …”