Meet Andrew: The Newest “New Guy”

Posted by Andrew M on September 17 at 01:12 pm

Hi everybody! My name is Andrew and I am the newest “new guy” on the Lima Beads team. My official title is “Director of Marketing” but my real job (and passion) is making sure the Lima Beads community has the best customer experience possible each and every time you visit our site, interact with other beaders, or purchase and use our products.

We have so many good ideas to improve your experience and expand the Lima Beads community that Kevin decided it was time to make it an official function. Over the next few weeks we will be reviewing and prioritizing each of these ideas to continue to bring you the freshest products at the best prices and with the highest level of customer service that you have come to expect.

A Little More About Me

Andrew MSome of you may recognize me from infrequent appearances in The Garden or mentions on Kevin’s Twitter account. After working with Kevin, Steve, Matt and Ali on a few projects over the past year, it seemed like a natural fit to officially join the team.

When I am not hanging out in the new Lima Beads office, I enjoy hiking, camping, fishing, woodworking, reading, and biking. My newest hobby is cooking and my wife thinks I’m pretty good, or at least improving quickly. I still make the occasional mystery meal that didn’t quite turn out the way I would like. At my house, we call that “pizza night”!

My wife Elizabeth, our Yorkie Sammy, and I moved to Ann Arbor from Richmond, Virginia a couple of years ago when she enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Michigan (Go Blue!). We love it here but we are planning to move back home to Richmond in mid-December to finally settle down near family. At that point I will become the first “remote” Lima Beads team member but thanks to modern technology and frequent trips back to Ann Arbor, we won’t miss a beat.

I Need Your Help!

I will be the first to admit that I don’t have Ali’s detailed knowledge of each product (yet), Steve’s technical abilities, Matt’s design expertise, or Cathy’s ability to keep the orders flying out the door like greased lightning. But I do love to read and learn new things, which is where you come in.

Which books, websites, blogs, magazines, or online communities do you like? Where do you go for inspiration or motivation?

Feel free to leave a comment here or write on my Wire in The Garden. My door is always open and I am looking forward to getting to know you!

Welcome aboard!!! I am pleased to “officially” welcome you to my most favorite blog…right here at LB! :D

My favorite magazine, and I have recently renewed my subscription, is BEAD STYLE. I love to look at their ideas as a springboard for my own creations. I have never replicated anything from the mag, but I have seen plenty of great products and ideas. :D

2. FaeryGoth Chick
    FaeryGoth Chick says:

Welcome at LB Andrew! I’m sure you will like it here because so do we :-D

Welcome to LB Andrew! I have previously subscribed to Beadwork and Stringing magazines and enjoy both for the many fun and creative projects they have. Margie Deeb has a couple of books about color and beading that are way fab, plus her own website and newsletter about color. Of course, this website with its Garden and Fresh Picks is full of inspiration thanks to the many folks here!!! :)

4. Fashion Chick aka SC
    Fashion Chick aka SC says:

Welcome, Andrew! I thought you were an official member of the team already. I’m sure you will bring so much to this wonderful site! Enjoy!!

5. Fashion Chick aka SC
    Fashion Chick aka SC says:

Andrew, sometimes I look at magazines for inspiration such as Lucky and Sundance.

Helen G aka tea chick says:

Andrew, welcome to the family! LB is such a cool company, because they go way beyond the concept of just selling beads to creating a online home for beaders, where we can play with color and texture combinations with Fresh Picks, have fun, socialize, and encourage each other in the Garden, and share great design ideas in the Design Gallery! It’s the sort of thing that makes folks stop in every day and makes us really passionate for our craft! Outside LB, I also find inspiration in the Sundance catalog and Margie Deeb’s books

Welcome Andrew! It’s so nice to meet you ‘officially’!

I subscribe to Bead Style and Step by Step Wire magazines, and frequent the Bead Style and sister magazine websites for help on techniques. Also, I’ve collected quite a few books on stringing, cold connections, wire wrapping, and most recently mixed media jewelry. I love stone and lampwork beads, but have recently fallen in love with vintage beads, natural beads such as bone and wood, and ancient beads such as trade beads. Sterling used to be my metal of choice, but now I see the beauty in Vintaj and other base metals.

I visit the Lima Beads blog, garden and design gallery daily for inspiration. LB has done an outstanding job at taking care of its customers and keeping them coming back for more.

8. Mayan Chick - Lilly
    Mayan Chick - Lilly says:

Welcome to LB, Andrew! :)

Stringing and Beadstyle are my favorite magazines. Lately, I’ve been finding my inspiration in magazines from the previous years.

9. Dora H
    Dora H says:

Welcome aboard, you have joined a very good & fine & upstanding company !!
    I get inspiration from pieces I see on people ( N Grace and othe news people), from shops and on web sites.

Deb D Grammy Chick says:

Welcome Andrew! I’m sure you will be a great asset to the LB team!
    LB is not just a company, website or online store…it’s an online family where everyone helps, supports, and inspires one another. It’s amazing how quickly you can become “friends” with so many people from so many places, even though you may never meet them face-to-face. I truly feel a kinship and friendship with my fellow beaders on this site, and The Garden and Design Gallery are awesome. I have learned so much just by coming here because there is so much sharing among this special family!
    I do read Bead Style and a few other beading magazines from time to time, and check out their websites, but I have to say that the best place to come to is LB! It’s a great place with great people and the best team ever! :D

11. Doris W
    Doris W says:

I add my welcome, Andrew. I’m a rather newbie to LB, though I’ve been beading for 20 years. BeadStyle is my favorite magazine, because it sparks my creativity to go out and do new things. I can spend hours with the Design Gallery here and think, “Oh, I could do something sort of like that but different here and here.” I have to be really careful buying beads, I already have so many. For a long time I was hooked on just glass earrings, because the light glowing through them was so cool. Then it was pearls. Now I’m into stones, often with pearls. People are starting to come to me to make jewelry for them, which is cool. A couple of people have brought beads belonging to their mothers or grandmothers to be redone for their daughters or granddaughters and I love the generational thing. One 80 year old has a pendant her grandfather gave to her grandmother–now how old would that have to be? That sort of thing really sparks the old juices! Off the track, Andrew, but by way of welcome nonetheless.

12. Purple Chick aka Violet
    Purple Chick aka Violet says:

Welcome Andrew…I love LB and glad to have you aboard.

Chicky Zee aka Alice says:

Welcome Andrew.

14. G Skeens
    G Skeens says:

Welcome aboard Andrew. All of the magazines mentioned are great and in addition Kalmbach Publishing is a good source for informational books.

KWB DESIGNS says:

Hi Andrew!
    I don’t comment much usually, but I’m on this site every single day looking at all the new items, fresh picks & sometimes get some inspriation from others’ desgigns.
    My 2 favorite mags are Bead Style & stringing. I love the jewelry they pick. Always inspirational. If I get a new stone from LB, I like going to Google image, type in the name and see jewelry made with this stone. However, I have yet to see anything made with Chrysoprase Rice… I’m totally stumped with this ultra-bright stone (any ideas really welcomed!)
    So welcome to your new job! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! they seem to be such a great gang.

16. ChickyD aka Debra
    ChickyD aka Debra says:

Welcome, Andrew!

I love Virginia! I lived in Chesapeake for 3 years and loved it.

My favorite magazine is Bead and Button. Also love Margie Deeb’s books on color for beaders and Linda Jones & Sharilyn Miller for wire work.

Andrew M says:

Thanks everybody! In addition to the magazines you suggested (and Ali piled on my desk), I am looking forward to reading the websites and books listed above.

We have some more fun stuff coming soon including new products, new Design Gallery updates, and a fun Halloween surprise! Don’t blink, you might miss something…

18. KPJEWELS
    KPJEWELS says:

Welcome aboard Andrew. I have only been beading for approximately a year now, but I love LB and hardly ever miss a day that I don’t check out the garden, the design gallery, what’s new and of course that very addictive BGBM.

I get my books from Kalmbach books and my favourite ones are the Step-by-Step Wire (which I’m just getting into) and a small magazine published in Mississauga, Ontario by Patricia Frazier (canadianbeading.ca)

It is easy to carry around because of it size and there are lots of ideas; in each edition they have a piece describing a gemstone or two. There is also a kid’s corner, reader’s designs and contests.

I find that most of the magazines are too indepth for my experience. I guess they think that everyone is on their level of competency, but Canadian Beading is a great little book for beginners or pros, alike.

Hope you enjoy your work with LB as much as we enjoy the LB site. I have never gotten so much out of a website as I have LBs. I only go to other sites when I can’t find what I want at LB. Good Luck in the future to you and the LB team.

19. Cj w aka Slacker Chick
    Cj w aka Slacker Chick says:

Hi Andrew,
    Welcome to the LB experience. A wonderful community that I’m sure will only be enhanced by your expertice. One of my favorite magazines is Step by Step for beads or wire. It is a good way to learn the basics. I am inspired by all kinds of things; nature, pictures, my family. Pretty soon Matt will have to help you make your wife a necklace too. Once again welcome.

20. Steph
    Steph says:

I like Bead Style Magazine and I get books from the library to check out first, if they have them, before I buy them.
    Try just being a creative cook, that’s what I like to be. Just make sure you cook your meats properly and add what you like to it. Here’s something you can try it’s really not that hard. Take a roasting chicken and place orange and lemon slices under the skin, rub with butter and herbs like thyme and rosemary, add some finely chopped garlic, if you like garlic and follow the directions on the pakage to cook. Throw in some potatoes and carrots and a quick stuffing and you have a great dinner. You don’t always need to follow recipes I just throw it in and taste then add. Welcome to the team and good luck.

Vee aka Dream Chickie says:

Welcome to the Lima Beads family, Andrew!!

My inspiration for beading comes from my love of crystals and gemstones. I started collecting them about 5 years ago and work with them for healing and crystal therapy for myself and others. I started beading about 3 years ago and feel I may be hooked for life! LOL :D

In my opinion, LB is the best beading community on the net. I know that is a huge statement but the support and compassion of everyone here is a very comforting experience. I am very grateful for LB! :D

22. Anita QoG Funny Chick
    Anita QoG Funny Chick says:

Welcome, Andrew!!! You’ve joined a GREAT team!!!!

Congrats Andrew!
    Seems like a great company & group of people to work with!
    Hey LB, if you need any future “remote” Lima Beads team members give me a call ;)

24. Cotopaxi Chickie Sue
    Cotopaxi Chickie Sue says:

Welcome, Andrew! You have joined one of the most fantastic teams in the beading world. I also come to this site daily to ‘work’ with other beaders, share ideas, and support all these wonderful artists! I’m sure you’re going to love it here!

Hi, Andrew! I know we’ve been “friends” since you first joined this site — I just want to welcome you in your new, official capacity and say that it’s about time!!! ;)

I subscribe to “BeadStyle” (who doesn’t?!?! LOL), “Step by Step Wire,” and “Stringing.” I occasionally purchase “Step by Step Beading” and others on the newsstands that catch my eye, such as “Lapidary Journal.”

LB is my primary source of beading info — I’m on here 23 1/2 hours per day!!! The rest of the time I am beading or checking out other sites, such as Beadstyle.com and Beadingdaily.com for tips and ideas.

LB is the absolute BEST in terms of meeting my bead buying needs (and soon everything else to shop for!!!), interacting with other beaders, and getting amazing inspiration via Fresh Picks and the Design Gallery!!! :D This is the first site where I have felt comfortable enough to blog/post and am now totally addicted — just ask my hubby. LOL He hasn’t seen me since the infamous Easter egg hunt……

26. Dragons Chicky
    Dragons Chicky says:

Hi Andrew,
    I’m new here too! Congratulations and welcome! This is the first site I’ve felt comfortable enough to get online with and I’ve been thrilled with the friends I’ve made. The products are top notch and everyone is looking forward to the new bead stuff. Yeah!

27. doktordesigns
    doktordesigns says:

SURFACE magazine is my fave (brilliant, strange, beautiful, provocative, inspiring) eye candy!