Fall Weekend Fun

Posted by Steve on October 12 at 09:26 am

battle creekI think everyone around here agrees with Matt that autumn is a great season–and the colors are beginning to change now! This weekend I was fortunate enough to enjoy the outdoors with some friends and I wanted to share some photos. We stayed at Fort Custer State Recreation Area and hiked, biked, and “geocached” (read on if you don’t know what that is!).

Battle Creek Linear Park

linear park ridingOne of the reasons we chose the location is the bike path in Battle Creek, MI called Linear Park. It’s a network of over 17 miles of scenic paths that travel through downtown, parks, residential areas, and along the river. After a few wrong turns and some unplanned detours, we rode about 26 miles (note to self: next time, don’t print the color-coded map in black & white). I was feeling it the next day!

Geo-what?

On Sunday morning we hit the trails again, this time on foot. Equipped with a GPS unit, we went geocaching, which is basically a mini-treasure hunt. The goal is to find a “cache” (a box with stuff in it) that was hidden there by someone before you. The GPS unit helps you find the cache, and sometimes there are hints when it’s hidden especially well. I’ve only done it twice, but both times I discovered new paths and places that I wouldn’t have found otherwise.

Eagle Lake at Fort Custer State Rec Area

Eagle Lake at Fort Custer State Rec Area

Next off on my fall checklist: pumpkin carving and candy! Keep your eyes on this blog in the next couple weeks… I have a hunch that there might be some treats (and maybe a trick or two). In the meantime, what’s keeping you busy this fall?

1. Chippy Chick aka Lindys
    Chippy Chick aka Lindys says:

Hi Steve! It was a beautiful weekend here in Philly too! Geocashing is so much fun. My husband & I love to geocash whenever we go out of town. I’m a country girl who loves hiking! It’s a fun way too explore new places! Can’t wait to see what you’re going to cook up in your big pot for this Halloween season! Hope it includes some spooky contests with great prizes!

2. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

Hey Steve! Fort Custer is about 15-20 min away from my house. I saw a couple of guys geocaching at the Chipman Preserve where I run Wally. Were you there???

Atomic Toad! Wow, that would have been funny. We were in the rec area nearly the entire time, so I don’t think it was us. I love that area of the state though, it was the first time I really spent some time there.

4. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

Fort Custer is very pretty, a great place for a getaway. Yeah, I realized after I posted you had been on foot, so it definitely wasn’t you. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

5. Sali Jo GemsChica Chick
    Sali Jo GemsChica Chick says:

Ok now …we chicks in Georgia are…a ….little…..slow…..what ..is …..geocashing???? I like geos and I like cash….so ….

6. Valentine Chick
    Valentine Chick says:

Oh my! Are we gonna have to find hidden pumpkins? I don’t know if I (or my husband) can take the 24-7 search again ;) Tee hee hee! We can’t wait to see what you have in store!

As for fall goes, we are trying to wrap up house projects, enjoying the outdoors and fall foilage, and picking pumpkins and Halloween costumes! We love this time of year! The leaves are gorgeous where we live.

Pumpkin hunting?!?!?! Yikes!!! I still can’t walk down the egg aisle of the grocery store without having flashbacks…..ROTFLOL

Valentine & Lynn – this time, we’re going to hide 100 pumpkins for you to find. Haha, just kidding! I don’t think we’re planning anything that will drive you to flashbacks down the grocery aisle :)

Sali Jo, Geocaching is basically using a GPS unit to find a box of stuff that someone hid there–it’s like a little treasure hunt. It’s just for fun, and mostly done outside (I think?).

Our family just got into geocashing. Our first time got us a load of chiggers and a couple ticks. Still it’s a load of fun and I wish we had started a lot sooner.

We just picked up our pumpkins this weekend and are still deciding on our carving options. I love Autumn, which is my favorite season!

Steve, thanks for a great blog post.

Deb D Grammy Chick says:

Maybe it won’t be pumpkins…maybe it will be ghosts…much more elusive!!! ;)
    But I’m anxious to see what you have in store, Steve.
    Your weekend trip sounds wonderful. Those pics are beautiful. The leaves are turning here in central PA, and the weather is becoming very unpredictable. I’d like this season a lot more if it didn’t lead into winter!

11. Chicky Bear-Tara
    Chicky Bear-Tara says:

I love Halloween. Every year we go over to my sisters. She fixes a big pot of chili, hot chocolate and toddies, and then we take the kids around the neighborhood to trick or treat. I love to carve pumpkins but I usually end up helping the kids a lot and so I don’t have much time to carve one for me. So, I buy those fake foam pumpkins and carve them. That way, they last forever. I cut a hole in the bottom and put a light in it and, sometimes if you don’t stand too close, they look real. Anyway, a contest sounds like fun. The easter egg one got me addicted to this site and so, I am looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing your experience and vacation. It sounds like fun!

Fall is my favorite time of year, and October is my favorite month (few bugs, pretty leaves, & candy all in one month, yeah!!!). I’m glad you had a fun weekend Steve. My favorite fall weekends are of apple picking with my family.

Thanks, Steve! I also got addicted to this site during The Great Easter Egg Hunt of 2009 and my husband hasn’t seen me since…..ROTFLOL

No laundry has been done, no meals have been cooked, no cleaning accomplished……but I have made TONS of new friends here at LB and have created lots of new jewelry!!! As long as I’m keeping my priorities straight, right? ;)

That geocaching sounds like fun I’m gonna look into it further… it’s beautiful around here this time of year! great time to go exploring… took a drive up to the Mt. Washington area of NH with the top down on the jeep and the heat blasting (it was 53 degrees!) the mountains were gorgeous patchworks of colors!
    Looking forward to what LB is cooking up for treats!

15. Leslie W Mtn Chick
    Leslie W Mtn Chick says:

Well, out here in the high country mountains of North Carolina, in Banner Elk to be exact, we will be racing wooley worms!! This will be my first time attending, and hopefully it won’t be pouring like it has been doing all week. What, you don’t know what a wooley worm is? It’s a caterpillar! But I need to find out what kind of butterfly they will become. There will be prizes for the fastest, and they will rent you one of theirs if you can’t bring your own. Crafts for sale, and food! Come on down!!!

16. Cherie D
    Cherie D says:

LIving in Louisiana, transplanted from Indiana, I really miss the change of seasons. Here, it’s just hot, rainy and humid most of the year. I love the Fall colors!! Thanks for the beauriful pics.

17. Valentine Chick
    Valentine Chick says:

Ditto Lynn!
    O Steve, you are too funny! I bet you folks at LB just laughed your pants off at all the crazy comments us chickies made over hunting those cotton-pickin’ little rascals! LOL

18. Mel the mom
    Mel the mom says:

I’m out on an egg hunt and find my other favorite hobby here! I’m a beader AND a geocacher! :D Neat!

• No PhotoUnarer R said »
    “This narrates you a lot about a company concern theoretical account's military …”