Garden Update September 09

10. Crazy Lace Wednesday by Alice t
  11. jewels by Kristina b
  12. Blue Lagoon, Iceland by Chippy Chick aka Lindys
  13. Copper Pistachio by Luv2bead – Little Chick
  14. The Moody Blues by Chicky ChaCha aka Mary L
  15. Colorful Days Ahead by Little Round Chick

I noticed when looking at all of these wonderful picks together that green and brown seem to be hugely popular this past month with a few showcasing soft pinks and yellows. The never-ending creativity is truly amazing. If you’re making pieces inspired by fresh picks, be sure to upload them in the design gallery!

508246006-mediumTop 15 Designs from the Gallery

These 15 designs were the “most favorited” in the design gallery for September and I can see why…

1. Mosaic Magic by Starsparkle Spiral Chick
  10. Verdigris Gingko Leaves on Antique Copper by Lynda aka DivaChick
  11. Makeover by Reet
  12. Coming up Roses by Michelle
  13. Brown lace agate by Bead Buzz chick
  14. Silky Shimmer by Leigh D
  15. Antique Brass Moonface Dragonfly, and Beaded Hanging Earrings by Beadylady5

In your designs I see a very eclectic mix of styles. One commonality is the use of gemstone beads. I also see a lot more wire wrappers than I used to. Are beaders getting bored with basic stringing? Has stringing become too heavy (I love heavy pieces but maybe it isn’t for everyone or isn’t the trend) for the end wearer? Is stringing still popular, but maybe beaders have evolved and like to challenge themselves (time permitting) with projects involving more chain and wire wrapping?

Just for fun I’ve put together a few categories to see what type of beader all of you are.  Check it out, the results might be very surprising :)

1. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

I find this info very useful. Looking forward to checking up on these trends in the future!

Welcome to all the new Fresh Pickers!!! :D Congrats to the creators of the Top 15 Fresh Picks and the Top 15 Designs in the Gallery for September!!! :D

Hope that isn’t too weird since I’m finally one of them…..LOL 8)

BTW, I haven’t voted in the survey yet because I can’t seem to narrow my choices down to ONLY three! ;)

Also, do you mean what type do I wear or what type do I make to sell and/or gift to others? There is a definite difference. Thanks!

Starsparkle Spiral Chick says:

Just checked the Daily Blog & saw the piccie of my earrings!! Oooh! :D

I can’t choose one–love them all! I try not to stay with one style for my jewelry for two reasons:

I want to reach more customers which means using different mediums.

I simply like all different kinds of styles-not just one or two, or even three.

6. Cotopaxi Chickie Sue
    Cotopaxi Chickie Sue says:

This is great and very useful information – thanks for collecting it!

I’m with the ladies above – I can’t choose only 3 styles, because what I wear can be so different from what I sell. I also like to branch out and experiment – and I know most of us feel we need to get out of our comfort zones and try something new.

Sue summed it up very well. My personal taste is eclectic, and my customers are always surprising me with what they choose…just when you think you know them! LOL

8. WireWrangler
    WireWrangler says:

Hey Ali, thank you for this great post and the feedback….fun information.
    Add my congratulations to the chorus of accolades to the tops in design and picks, well deserved. A great big WELCOME for you newbies.

In the voting for styles…to me, this is a question of personal style and in the world of jewelry design, this translates into a signature style. Some designers have a definite and identifiable style. On LB, most recently, Spiral Chick is a great example.
    A great exercise in finding your own, signature style, is exactly what this voting exercise is, that is…… identifying what is your own style. For me, it is classical with an eclectic, albiet metallic edge. I love color, but I am intrinsically neutral. Knowing who you are is one of the first steps in finding your expressive voice.

Connie Fox, a known designer, wrote two articles, Spring & Summer of 2008 Step-by-Step Wire Mag, “beyond technique” defining your own jewelry style & “designing Success”. She takes the reader through a process of defining your own signature style. I would recommend it.

And, finally, a quote:”"” To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying “Amen” to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to keep your soul alive. ~Robert Louis Stevenson”"”"”

POF Chick Nina says:

Making a variety of styles to sell is what I do also.

10. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

good to hear from you Ali, been a while. And its true, you can end up haveing two different picks. One for your self and one for commercial use. Your own taste may not be as comercial as you want, but you like it. Like bold colors. Not really in fashion right now, but I still like hot fushia pink. Also Ali, when are we going to see new pictures of the little one. She should be well past walking by now.
    And I can just see the LB staff after they read the newest part of the AQK and Simon saga. Rolling on the floor in laughter. Never thought there would be a serial story going through the fresh picks. You allow us so much freedom. Its amazing. Thank you.

Lynda aka DivaChick says:

Congratulations to everyone!

And a personal thank you to everyone who made my verdigris gingko necklace a favorite. I appreciate the honor very much!

Thanks to all you wonderful beaders who “favorited” my Copper Spiral Pendant Necklace into the top 15 Designs for September! It is one of my faves and I’m so happy to know it is one of yours, also! :D

Seashellsally — I love the quote at the end of your comment by RLS. Thanks for sharing it. :)

13. FaeryGoth Chick
    FaeryGoth Chick says:

I just come across this blog post and I was pleasantly surprised! Thank you fellow limabeaders :-) Glad you like my pick Asian Wisdom and the Smoky quartz gets in your eyes design, it means a lot to me and I feel very honored!
    Is this something that is done every month?

14. Leigh D
    Leigh D says:

I love this post! It was so cool to be able to see at a glance the new fresh pickers and the recents “favorited” (good word) picks and designs. I was so pleased to see myself included in these lists – this really made me feel good and lifted my spirits. I think alot of us beaders do not get enough feedback from other beady people about our designs, so I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed posting my designs and getting feedbacks, tips, and info from other folks as crazy about beads as me!!!!

I would love to see a post like this done every month so that we can see the trends, color choices, etc!

Thanks for posting this!

Congrats to all those who’s pieces and picks were picked!! :D They’re beautiful!!

16. Sunny Chick aka Diana
    Sunny Chick aka Diana says:

This is a wonderful post, congratulations to everyone listed for favorites. I’ve tried several times to do fresh picks but don’t have the patience for it and being new to beading I need to see and feel my combinations, but I’m going to continue to try to use this feature ~ which is very helpful! I love looking at other beaders work and the whole process of selection, making and naming the piece. SeaShellSally; I really loved reading your post here and your ending quote! Great!

17. Sali Jo GemsChica Chick
    Sali Jo GemsChica Chick says:

What a pleasant surprize and an honor to be in the list for designs! I always love to see each others designs and love to hear comments that help me progress…altho I usually just let the rocks talk to me and end up with a design…love the quote by Stevenson..it is so true..each one of us is unique and have something to give others..even tho it is just a few words of encouragement….it pushes us along..

18. Bead-itudes
    Bead-itudes says:

This was a great post Ali. You have been showing casing the picks for awhile. It’s great to see the most favorited designs. I hope this is something you will continue to do at least once a month. I don’t think basic stringing is out. We beaders just like to experiment – and keep up with what is popular.

19. Dragons Chicky
    Dragons Chicky says:

I too think you should keep the spreadsheet going, it’s really nice to see the trends (there are beaders from all over here) and be able to congratulate those who give and advance within themselves as we see it. Geeze, I hope that made sense!
    Basically, give a pat on the back once in a while. If you didn’t get one this time, maybe next time. It’s something to look forward to/or not/whatever. You know, different strokes for different folks. OK, I’ll go away now.
    cookie

Chicky Zee aka Alice says:

Congratulation to everyone for their picks and designs. I was excited to be among the top 15 fresh pick . seeing other .Thank you Lima Bead for this post. Great job…

21. Leslie W Mtn Chick
    Leslie W Mtn Chick says:

I didn’t have trouble choosing my three. My first of three was definitely color. I love experimenting with color and texture in designs, but also in my wardrobe as well. I now wear only solid colors so as to showcase my new creations. The second was the vintage look that I discovered through your vintaj collection and fell in love with. Probably because it goes so well with my haircolor and complexion. Thirdly was the gemstones themselves which are so different and intriguing not only in their appearance but their spiritual properties. And creating with beads is such a HEALTHY hobby!!!

22. Little Round Chick
    Little Round Chick says:

I need to get around to all of the different areas on the LB website. The results of the poll were interesting. I didn’t have too much trouble choosing three styles but my current favorite wasn’t included. It’s working with heavier gauge wire that’s twisted, hammered or coiled.

• No PhotoUnarer R said »
    “This narrates you a lot about a company concern theoretical account's military …”