Fresh Pick Challenge: Valentine’s Day

Posted by Matt on February 11 at 11:16 am

heartWe love Valentine’s Day so much around here, that we wanted to give you all a special Valentine surprise. We’re introducing the first ever, official Fresh Pick Challenge! Some dedicated Lima Beaders came up with this idea last year and we thought it looked like lots of fun. The theme for this contest is Valentine’s Day!

We’re giving away $25 gift certificates to the winners of each of the following categories:

• Best Composition: The overall composition is one of the most important qualities of a beautiful Fresh Pick. It’s what makes our Fresh Picks so unique. Creating the best possible product arrangement is key to winning this category.
  • Best Use of Color: When it comes to beading, is there anything more important than color? It doesn’t necessarily have to be all pinks, reds and purples. Maybe your favorite romantic movie, love song, or the restaurant of your first date inspires you!
  • Most Creative Title: Some of the names you all come up with are truly amazing! Although we’re focusing on the title in this category, it’s important that your picks suit the name.
  • Best Story: We know how you love to write stories to go along with your Fresh Picks. That’s why we’re going to read each and every description that you take the time to write. But please, try to keep it as short as you can! I have the feeling that we’re going to have a lot of story-tellers submitting their picks.
  • People’s Choice: We want our Pickers to make the call! The Fresh Pick with the most favorites will win this prize. Even if you’re not submitting a pick, be sure to add your favorite fresh picks to, well, your favorites!

It’s now easier than ever to add one of your Fresh Picks to your blog comments! When you’re ready to submit your Pick, just select it from the drop-down menu in the comment form below. You’ll see your 10 most recent picks. Chose the one that you’d like to submit to the contest and “Voila!” Not sure what a Fresh Pick is? Find out on the Design Your Own Fresh Picks page!

Let me lay down a few ground rules before you get started:

• Only one (1) submision allowed per person. If you make multiple submissions, only your most recent one will be counted.
  • You must create a pick specifically for this contest. We all love recycling too, but we want to see some awesome new picks!
  • All Picks must be submitted as a comment on this blog post by Sunday, February 14th at midnight.

Here’s the Tricky Part

You have to use at least one product from ANY of these stones:

Impression Jasper Beads Impression Jasper
China Chrysoprase Beads China Chyrsoprase
Bronzite Beads Bronzite

IMPORTANT: You DO NOT have to include one product of each stone! We’re not that cruel. :)

All you have to do is create a new Fresh Pick and upload it in your comment below. Now, get Picking!

OOOOO! 8O
    This is going to be FUN!! :-D
    Thanks Lima Team!!

Gotta’ get picking!

2. Nicki - Taylored Designs
    Nicki - Taylored Designs says:

Love this idea…can’t wait to spend some time with this one!!!

3. Valentine Chick
    Valentine Chick says:

Here we go!!! Any extra points awarded if you also have a Valentine Birthday?!? Hence the name Valentine Chick. Just thought I’d ask…;)

AnnMarie H says:

Please consider my “Life is Like a Box of Candy” selection. I can’t imagine why I’m thinking about candy for Valentines Day…can you? ;)

5. Classy Chick JbyJill
    Classy Chick JbyJill says:

HeHe!!! Jen, Are you going to be 40 yet??
    This sounds like a lot of FUN!!

AnnMarie H says:

Sorry, I changed the name on mine, but forgot to hit the save button!

7. Valentine Chick
    Valentine Chick says:

Oh no Jill. Not 40 yet!

8. Traci L C
    Traci L C says:

Here is my “Into the Soul”…

9. JadaBug Chick
    JadaBug Chick says:

Happy Valentine’s Day<3

Wolfkazzy WolfChick says:

Here is mine and Happy Valentine’s to everybody!

11. Valentine Chick
    Valentine Chick says:

Here is my submission <3

12. Mommykat Bubbly Chick
    Mommykat Bubbly Chick says:

heres my valentine pick

13. Tea Rose
    Tea Rose says:

Here is my fresh pick.

J Ranburger says:

the rabbits didn’t get them…

15. Monkeykat Chick-let Rhi
    Monkeykat Chick-let Rhi says:

heres my valentine pick

16. Monkeykat Chick-let Rhi
    Monkeykat Chick-let Rhi says:

heres my valentines pick

17. Retired Chick Phyllis R
    Retired Chick Phyllis R says:

Happy Valentine’s Day to all my
    beading friends!

Lois F says:

“Love is in the Air” – Hearts inter-twined with muted colors, the red is an accent color as well the color of “Love”.

19. A Barta
    A Barta says:

I couldn’t resist! *fingers crossed*

DALE J says:

summer is just a dream away!

21. Brittani
    Brittani says:

Here’s mine!! :)

22. Victoria E
    Victoria E says:

“Always and Forever” is the title of my Fresh Pick because it reminds me of my wedding. We were married on June 21-the longest day of the year-hence the yellow. Our colors were shades of pink with white.I love working with the bar chains and this antique gold color is perfect. Hope you like it!

23. Debbi aka Sparkle Chick
    Debbi aka Sparkle Chick says:

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! Here’s my entry for the contest!

24. Steph
    Steph says:

Happy Valentines Day to all the chickies!!!!

25. Crazy Chick Frida
    Crazy Chick Frida says:
  26. therainmaker
    therainmaker says:

Here’s mine! :)

Valley Girl says:

Our special time together is hiking in the forest. You never know what you will see and what it can inspire

Vampire Chickie Ravin says:

ok, gonna try this, but how do you put the picture of your pick into the comment box???

Here’s mine – hugs to all!

Vampire Chickie Ravin says:

oh…wait…never mind…hmmm..think I had a blond moment!! 8O

Vampire Chickie Ravin says:
    C Stolte says:

My submission.

34. OK Jacki
    OK Jacki says:

Forbidden Love never depicted better than the Novel/TV Movie Series “The Thornbirds.” Meggie’s Ashes of Roses evening gown was the inspiration for this pick. I’m just an ol’ hopeless romantic.

Here’s my submission…hope everyone likes it! :-D

36. Little Round Chick
    Little Round Chick says:

An old Barber Shop Quartet Song was the inspiration for my pick: You’re the flower of my heart sweet Adeline.

Hearts and flowers are Valentines Day.

Faithful Chick aka Faith says:

Wow this just became a lot easier than I thought ROTFLOL!!!

38. Dragons Chicky
    Dragons Chicky says:

This is my first try at this.
    This is my Valentine Pick.
    I chose these stones/charms because I met my husband at a StarTrek Convention and these stones remind me of the earth and sky, the twinkling stars and the love that began when we were both in costume so many years ago! (He was a captain and I was a medical officer, on different ships.)

Vampire Chickie Ravin says:

Woot!! Very cool Dragons Chicky!!! My hubby and I are both MAJOR Trekkers!!!!

40. Goldie H
    Goldie H says:

I think the title says it all! Use your imagination and be creative! Have a HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY Weekend!

41. Sali Jo GemsChica Chick
    Sali Jo GemsChica Chick says:

This is my Love Story….

Tess W says:

It’s so cold and grey here in Glasgow I just want to see some fresh green with a bit of sunshine!

43. K Palumbo
    K Palumbo says:

As a Lima lover I thought I’d ask if you’d Peas be My Valentine!

44. Bead-itudes
    Bead-itudes says:

Here’s my submission. Happy Valentines Day.

45. Science Chick Runs Sibes
    Science Chick Runs Sibes says:

Here’s my submission–the description is on the pick.

46. Chippy Chick aka Lindys
    Chippy Chick aka Lindys says:

The story goes….Once upon a time, Kunzite and Morganite come a courting pretty Impression Jasper. Trying to win her love, they present her with posies and rosies, diamonds and gold, and sweet candy hearts galore! Soon Jasper begins to shed pink teardrops for the decision she must make. Which gent should she choose and which should she send away? ……Stay tuned for chapter 2!

T Fondren says:

Yeah! My very first Fresh Pick will be an entry in this contest. I am very excited! As a newbie to Lima Beads, you guys really make your site so much fun!

Hi Chickies!! :D
    Thanks for the fun contest Lima Team!! You guys are the best!! How fun!!
    I decided to go traditional with my colors because I think this would make an awesome Valentines Day gift!! (hint hint! ;D lol)

49. Breezy Chick aka Bree
    Breezy Chick aka Bree says:

Dedicating this pick to my beautiful, thoughtful, kind, supportive partner Brendan…. what a man :-) Hope everyone has a lovely Valentines Day!!!!

50. Breezy Chick aka Bree
    Breezy Chick aka Bree says:

Whoops, didn’t read everything before submitting, back to the drawing board, sorry all ;-(

51. Breezy Chick aka Bree
    Breezy Chick aka Bree says:

For my darling partner Brendan. Happy Valentines Day all!!!

52. Brenda S
    Brenda S says:

Here’s for when you’re feeling bold!

53. Brenda S
    Brenda S says:

Time to draw some attention to yourself with this colorful selection!

54. Brenda S
    Brenda S says:

We love bronzite and everything it goes with!

55. Brenda S
    Brenda S says:

What beautiful stones!

Ooo! So many cool and creative picks!!

Here is my submission to the Valentine’s Day Challenge! Enjoy! To get the full story, be sure to read the description on the Fresh Pick! :D

58. Brenda S
    Brenda S says:

This will get attention in a subtle way, but will certainly make an impression!

59. Ariadne
    Ariadne says:

… a beaded representation of what I *really* want for Valentine’s day!

Cheryl T says:

There is no ocean deep, that from your love could keep nor is there mountian high, to high for me to fly. Between the deeps and highs our love will abide.

Mirjam E says:

What a fun new contest! My pick may not look like a Valentine pick at all, but to me it is. I have a very happy memory of boat ride my boyfriend Ronald and I made in the southwest of Ireland in 2006. We went to see the garden island Garinish Island and along the way spotted seals and enjoyed the lovely weather. The boat was turquoise/blue (which happens to be my favourite colour) and there’s a photo of the two of us on it which afterwards I posted on the website Flickr and called it ‘Happiness is a small blue boat’. This pick is inspired by that boat trip.

Jeannes Gems - Gem Chick says:

love this challenge! :)

64. Karri n
    Karri n says:

A little soft with a little wild intertwined. She hung the moon for him but she also owned it!

Andra M says:

Ok, this is my first pick and it is kind of funny that is little challenge came out. My daughters teacher has had a rough spell and loves pink so I threw a quick bracelet together last night with a little silver and all different pink beads, so my pick refelects that with a few added options for a nice 3 strand or whatever. Anyway a pick inspired by making my friend and hard working teacher have brighter V-day!!

Okay, here’s mine!

For me and my husband, lilies have always kind of been “our flower” since day one – on our first Valentine’s Day we both unknowingly sent each other a bouquet of stargazer lilies, and he has sent me that same bouquet every year for Valentine’s Day ever since. One of my sweetest romantic memories of him is when we were driving in the pouring rain and he stopped the car just to pick me some tiger lilies from the side of the road because I mentioned how beautiful they were. Two years ago, I even got a tattoo of a lily to symbolize our love and our connection with lilies. So that’s what inspired this pick – the beauty that I find in lilies and in the sweet, caring things that my husband does for me.

OK. I think is the one I’ll choose.
    I just LOVE chocolate and this kind of takes care of my sweet tooth!
    It also reminds me of the day when my husband and I first met. While hanging out with friends, he very sweetly asked me “Do you want some candy little girl?” (Not in a derogatory way, mind you.)
    He made me smile. That was 23 years ago. I still love him LOTS!!!

68. doktordesigns
    doktordesigns says:

Back in Boston (where I used to live), there’s a group of old-fashioned ice cream parlors called Brigham’s. They used to have a fountain drink on their menu called a Lime Rickey and it was totally delish. I’ve added a touch of rasberry to mine, cuz I can never leave well enough alone. :)

JunQueJules says:

Here is mine. Today is a bright sun shiney day even here in Michigan! I mixed some valentine love with some spring wishes and here is the result.
    Emily

70. Brenda S
    Brenda S says:

This one is dedicated to my husband who has been there for me without question over the past two years. I have gone through 4 spine surgeries and am facing more to come. He is a real gem, and I am very blessed to have him by my side!

Chicky Zee aka Alice says:

here’s mine

Andra B says:

This was an easy one. Chocolate covered cherries are my very favorite treat. My sweet husband always gets them for me, even though he can’t eat them because of his diabetes.

Wow–everyone’s doing an awesome job! Keep them coming, the contest doesn’t end until Sunday night!

And if you didn’t read Matt’s full description of the contest above, make sure to read it over so you know the rules! :)

74. CrazyBeadinSister
    CrazyBeadinSister says:

This Valentine’s pick reminds me of all the treasures my husband has given me through out the years.

75. Nicki - Taylored Designs
    Nicki - Taylored Designs says:

Here’s my pick “The Lady Bug”, and a novel to go with it!

Deb D Grammy Chick says:

This is for all the “My Girl”‘s out there!

77. Claire F
    Claire F says:

Sweets for the Sweet on Valentine’s Day! :)

78. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

I love poppies, especially the California kind my mom used to grow. Unlike the Orientals, they bloomed all summer long.

79. Swedish Chick
    Swedish Chick says:

I love you! I love you! I love you!
    You are exciting, handsome, different, special, cute, wild, intelligent, funny, fun, unique and beautiful.
    You are wonderful and I just can’t stop loving you.

Dear Lima Bead folks,

Thanks for yet another way fun contest!
    So here’s mine: it is dedicated to both my dad – he just got out of a rehab facility after the holidays, and is doing much better. Then there’s my cousin Eloise, who is adjusting to a chronic long term illness. While it’s never easy to bear illnesses and other stresses in our lives, thank you to all of my loved ones and friends who have supported me over the years – including many of you here! Yikes – my most recent Picks, including the one I had hoped to submit, “Sound of Your Voice Singing” isn’t popping up on the “Picks” list!! :(

Adrienne H says:

My Valentine’s pick: Greensleeves. Greensleeves has always been a song I’ve liked and there’s the legend (or myth) that Henry VIII wrote it for Anne Boleyn. Tudor England is one of my favorite historical periods.

82. Bella Chick aka Chill
    Bella Chick aka C Hill says:

To find yourself crazy in love…a whirlwind of emotions and dreams coming together in a moment in time…is the greatest of life’s amazing experiences!

83. Bella Chick aka Chill
    Bella Chick aka C Hill says:

My Description of Crazy, Prasy in Love! Emotions are swirling like an abalone ocean, charmed hearts are a flutter, feelings are springing up as fast a green grassy meadow, faces have a blushing, berry pink glow…could this crazy first love ring eternal? YES…YES…YES for me!

T Fondren says:

Love Bugs

Shawn l says:

This is my entry. Both my husband and I love to be outdoors. On our first romantic getaway we took a trip on his motorcycle thru the appalachian mountains. So this pick depicts that trip!

T Fondren says:

Sorry–I’m new to posting Fresh Picks. It’s also my first contest as I am new to the site.

What is that yellow spotcrawling up my arm? Is it an ant? a fly? NO! It’s a love bug! Should I gently remove it and let it soar to the highest heights of greens and purples? Or, do I grab a rolled up newspaper and finish it off quick and painless lea ing nothing but pink hues ….decisions, decisions. Well, here he comes, late again. Where’s that newspaper?

87. Bella Chick aka Chill
    Bella Chick aka C Hill says:

Our emotions were swirling around like an abalone-filled ocean, hearts were charmed and all aflutter, so many feelings growing as fast as a green meadow in springtime, our faces had a blushing, berry pink glow…could this new love ring eternal? Yes…for over 39 years!

88. KarenDe-Challenge Chick
    KarenDe-Challenge Chick says:

Look inside an old photo album, and you’ll find a family valentine. Faces of love stare out from every page…a grandmother and grandfather in sepia wedding day splendor – a celebration of love. A locket passed from mother to daughter, capturing a moment of love in a photograph. Baby pictures with innocent faces reflecting the glow of their parents’ loving care. Remind your loved ones this year of the valentine that grows stronger with time…family.

89. KarenDe-Challenge Chick
    KarenDe-Challenge Chick says:

I’m not sure if my family valentine came through on the last post…

Here‘s my caption because the title needs explanation. (And no, I‘m really not this shallow! lol)

(*shopping list that is! hint hint!) Chocolate, roses, and love. Although, diamonds and pearls never hurt either!! (*HINT HINT!*) ;D LOL

91. Green Eyed Lady Chick
    Green Eyed Lady Chick says:

Hi everyone I am new here and hope to get to know all of you better!
    here is my pic

92. Green Eyed Lady Chick
    Green Eyed Lady Chick says:

whoops, forgot my story!
    This is for my grand daughter who is 17 months old and is my funny girl.
    I have fibromyalgia and no matter how bad I am feeling when she’s with me this funny little angel makes me forget the pain for awhile.

Faithful Chick aka Faith says:

Welcome to the fun world of Lima Beads. There are quite a few of us here who have fybromialgia. I don’t know who all just a few and my brain hasn’t hade enough caffine this am yet. Congrats on a lovely pick and a sweet little inspiration for it.

94. Chicky Suz aka Susan Z
    Chicky Suz aka Susan Z says:

Amour sans Retour ( unrequited love)!Thanks LB, here is my pick!

95. Green Eyed Lady Chick
    Green Eyed Lady Chick says:

Thank you Faith I am looking forward to getting to know you ladies of LB!
    you seem to be an awfully nice and
    talented group of artist’s.
    EA (Beth)

So there’s nothing in the rules that says you can’t re-submit the same pick, so here’s mine again! :D

97. FaeryGoth Chick
    FaeryGoth Chick says:

This sounds like fun! Here is my entry :-)

98. Kitty Chicky Girl
    Kitty Chicky Girl says:

I wanted to show how i feel…you know, when someone you love is gone. I used to have a very close guy friend when i was little…we were best friends. when I was still really young, he moved to D.C. i made this pick in memory of him.

99. Chickie Nonnie T
    Chickie Nonnie T says:

That’s right, I’m a hopeless romantic – me with my rose colored glasses…

So I’m trying again:

I’m submitting a Pick that is dedicated to two people in my life:
    my dad, who is recovering from a stay in the hospital and rehab over the holidays, he had fluid built up around his lungs, he is doing much better now –
    and my cousin Eloise, who is adjusting to living with a chronic illness, and returned to work last year after many months trying to figure what’s going on, she is very courageous and has a great network of support – coworkers, friends, family

and to all the LB chickies here, who have loved ones in your lives that you are concerned about. Thank you all, for all the encouragement and support you have provided me! :8 8O

Ugh, my most recent Picks are STILL Not showing up, help LB folks! :(

Joyce

SandyL aka ShoppingChick says:

This is my wonderful pick!<3

102. leafy river
    leafy river says:

For my husband of 27 years- You made a great impression on me since our first date at a coffee shop, and you still do!
    Luck and timing played a part in us coming together as well. I’m grateful every day for your love.

103. Cj w aka Slacker Chick
    Cj w aka Slacker Chick says:

This is my favorite saying.

104. grama rose aka stormy
    grama rose aka stormy says:

My Valentine this year is dedicated to my wonderful Mom who left us in Nov. This is my rememberence to her..LOVE YOU MOM

105. grama rose aka stormy
    grama rose aka stormy says:

My lovely valentine has flown like a bird with open heart,somewhere over the rainbow..with her gray hair and emerald eyes I can see her looking down on me: lovely pink flower in her hand : she loved all and all loved her…

Marianne O says:

Here’s mine! This is about the first blush of love…

107. Cathy H Chocolate Chick
    Cathy H Chocolate Chick says:

Such fun, love the contest!!! So many great picks to chose from.

Magda H says:

I’m giving you my heart, be my valentine :-*

Magda H says:

This is about pure love, the colors represent romance. Giving it all, for that first love.

110. Lynn g
    Lynn g says:

To all my Lima Bead Friends, hope you have someone special to share it with.

111. Chicky Bear-Tara
    Chicky Bear-Tara says:

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone. Here is my pick for this contest. My interpretation of a dozen red roses. This bouquet will last much longer than a real one, but watch out for those thorns!

Faithful Chick aka Faith says:

I just read the rules again. Last rule was must be submited by Sunday, February 14th at midnight.

113. Eeka Mouse
    Eeka Mouse says:

Here’s a valentine for a lost love.

114. ShadesofVictoriana
    ShadesofVictoriana says:

I love “Glass Menagerie” by Tennessee Williams, a touching play about many things, love included. I tried to capture one of the many themes frailty of the individual vs. the stone cold world of outside. I took Jim’s nick name for Laura as the title and chose elements to signify Laura’s glass collection and her romanticized world versus that of the harsh reality in that Jim really never was a true gentleman caller. This is one play that really shows so many sides of love.

115. Bonnie R
    Bonnie R says:

heres mine. I tried to capture the ruffly edges of a paper valentine and not really sure if it happened. enjoy and lost of fun LB. hope all of the LB’rs have a happy Valentines day.

116. KPJEWELS
    KPJEWELS says:

Happy Valentine’s Day to all on the LB site. My submission for the Valentine’s Day Pick.

Long stemmed roses, red wine, and a new relationship on Valentine’s Day. Wow!!! at my age even. LOL.

117. Classy Chick JbyJill
    Classy Chick JbyJill says:

Happy Valentine’s Day Lima Beaders!! Here is my submission: “En Chocolat Framboise”, dedicated to my true love!

118. Ariadne
    Ariadne says:

A Valentine pick for my dad.

119. Crystal Jewels
    Crystal Jewels says:

This is dedicated to my children who are also chocoholics.

What do you think? This or the other one?!

Caption reads … w/ love!
    he won’t know what hit him! ;)

(I need more title room! But then again it’s safer this way! ;D lol)

121. Bead Girl
    Bead Girl says:

Here’s my fresh pick….every one knows the rhyme:

122. Wemai Coffee Chick
    Wemai Coffee Chick says:

Here is my contribution to the challenge! There had to be a mermaid in the pick on Valentine’s Day! :-)

Sandie b says:

Mine is called The River Runs. I think with these you could make a flow of gems like a river running from warm blue to cool green, with ice chips forming and turning into glaciers of rock crystal. The river flowers over boulders and pebbles, shaping and leaving beautiful marks.

124. Rachael B
    Rachael B says:

I haven’t done this in awhile…this was fun! Today the sun was shining and I went for a walk with my husband. I heard the birds singing and started to see the buds on the trees coming out. I can’t wait for spring!

J Stoops says:

This contest was fun. Thanks.

J Stoops says:

Here is my description:
    I imagine that the world is made up of earth, trees , water,and sky.
    The beads/items I selected followed these categories and arranged in vertical columns. I thought this title
    was appropriate for Valentines Day.

127. Aqua Chickie Cat
    Aqua Chickie Cat says:

The best idea yet! Love the entries! And the romance of it all :) .

128. Buster Browns MoM
    Buster Browns MoM says:

this was hard!!!!

129. Buster Browns MoM
    Buster Browns MoM says:
  130. Buster Browns MoM
    Buster Browns MoM says:

i don’t think i made it in time???
    here’s the poem that goes with it:

this place, this rock
    this water all around us
    i don’t want to leave

So when do we find out who the winners are? Huh, huh, huh???

132. Debilu
    Debilu says:

Valentine’s Day and flower gardens go together, so I walked through my backyard and looked at the colors. I currently have roses, vines and other beauties blooming in my Nipomo, CA garden (1 hr n. of Santa Barbara). Enjoy the view

Rhonda R says: