Fresh Pick Challenge: Halloween 2011

Posted by Matt on October 26 at 09:55 am

It seems like this is becoming somewhat of a Halloween tradition around here. To keep you busy during Scream Week, we decided to resurrect the Fresh Pick Challenge! There will be 4 prizes, one for the winner of each of the following categories:

• Best Composition: The overall composition is one of the most important qualities of a beautiful Fresh Pick. It’s what makes Fresh Picks so unique. Creating the best possible color & texture arrangement is key to winning this category.
  • Best Use of Color: When it comes to beading, is there anything more important than color? It doesn’t necessarily have to be all spooky colors. You can use things like your favorite Halloween candy, a costume that you remember wearing when you were younger, or even your favorite horror flick for inspiration.
  • Best Story: We know how you love to write stories to go along with your Fresh Picks. That’s why we’re going to read each and every description that you take the time to write. It could be a scary story, a tale about your favorite childhood Halloween memory, or anything else your creative mind comes up with :)
  • People’s Choice: We want our Pickers to make the call! The Fresh Pick with the most favorites will win this prize. Even if you’re not submitting a pick, be sure to add your favorite fresh picks to, well, your favorites!

With the exception of the people’s choice winner, the Lima Beads team will choose the winners of each category. We’re excited!

The Prizes

The winner of each category will receive a $25 Lima Beads gift certificate. Also, there is a special prize for the winner of People’s Choice: A beautiful assortment of gemstone beads, pendants and pearls!

If you can’t quite tell from the photo, there’s Carnelian, Amethyst, Kyanite, Amazonite, Peru Rhodochrosite and more!

When you’re ready to submit your Pick, just select it from the drop-down menu in the comment form below. You’ll be able to choose from your 10 most recent picks. Choose the one that you’d like to submit to the contest and “Voila!” Not sure what a Fresh Pick is? Find out on the Design Your Own Fresh Picks page!

Let me lay down a few ground rules before you get started:

• Only one (1) submision allowed per person. If you make multiple submissions, only your most recent one will be counted.
  • All Picks must be submitted as a comment on this blog post by Monday, October 31st at midnight.

Here’s the Tricky Part

You have to use at least one product from ONE of these categories:

Czech Glass Coins Czech Glass Coins
Luster Silver Crystal Beads Luster Silver Crystal
Red Creek Jasper Beads Red Creek Jasper

IMPORTANT: You DO NOT have to include one product from each category! We’re not that cruel. :)

We’re not done yet! You also need to include at least one product from our Artist Beads section. We have hundreds of artist beads and we think they’re the most creative beads in our entire shop. They should help to inspire some awesome picks!

All you have to do is create a new Fresh Pick and upload it in your comment below. Time to pick!

Wow! Can’t wait to see the entries.

2. Mary Brady
    Mary Brady says:

What a great idea. More than sparkling things, we love free beads. This should be fun!

3. Atomic Toad
    Atomic Toad says:

Fun with Lima…thanks again!

4. NY Bella
    NY Bella says:

Oh what fun!

5. Stone Treasures
    Stone Treasures says:

So Inspired!

6. TammyE
    TammyE says:

This Fresh Pick was created with one of my most favorite eerie movies….The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock.
    Good luck everyone and Happy Halloween!

7. Skittles mommy
    Skittles mommy says:

Eerie, creaking noises, cobwebs, moonlight, twinkling stars, crisp autumn air, those who decorate their homes like a haunted house (castle) – all of this makes the magic of Halloween to me – Boo!

8. Mary Ellen Parker
    Mary Ellen Parker says:

Yeah!!!
    Another Great L B Contest!!!!
    (and easier than hunting eggs…LOL!!!)
    :D

HeatherD says:

I have always loved Halloween, not for the tricks, but for the treats. I also love the fall colors and to me, copper is very fall. I also like the shapes of the “old” skeleton keys and have always wanted to incorporate them into a design. This pick is my idea of what a good old fashioned Halloween looks like. The lovely colors of fall, a key or two, a couple of skulls on the doorstep, and to me, the butterfly signifies friends who have gone before us, for me, in particular, my mom and grandparents.

10. Px3 aka Peggy
    Px3 aka Peggy says:

My Biology teacher has a red MG convertible he was very proud of. Come Halloween he bragged that nobody would be able to find his car. My girlfriends and I decided to prove him wrong. We collected rolls of toilet paper and headed to the country where he lived. we saw his car hidden in a dock below a very old barn. Two of the girls stayed in the car while my best friend & I went to the car and started decorating when we heard a door slam. We started running. Just as we heard a gun shot my friend went down. My heart stopped! Then she got up, and we ran to the car & took off. She had tripped just as the gun went off! Next day we went to class and the tp was sitting on his desk. He said no one would have the nerve to get the rolls. My BF and I looked at each other, got up and, to loud applause, got the rolls. I asked him why he shot at us, to which he replied, “If I had shot AT you, you would not be here. I has blanks in my gun.” This was true, because he was state champion sharpshooter. (edit)

This is a story about two young lovers in Mexico that hoping to be together forever. Their parents were afraid that this couple were getting ready to run away and get married, so the father of the girl decided on a scheme to keep that from happening. The night was dark with just a few stars in the sky and on this night, he went out and tampered with the red car that he thought would be used for their escape. Sure enough, the girl sneaked out when her fella showed up. They jumped into the red car and, much to the dismay of her father, it started like nothing was wrong! He stood on the porch in despair watching the tail lights disappear into the darkness.
    It was not until the following morning that the families learned of the fate of the young couple. The car had sailed over the edge of the river bank and was swept away. They found the car down river a few days later but there was no sign of the young lovers.
    Legend has it that every year on that same date, the river churns over violently and turns a deep, dark red.

12. Fallan S
    Fallan S says:

This is what a stylish witch would choose for a unique yet bloodcurdling necklace…AAAHHH!!

13. Judiahaha
    Judiahaha says:

~ Witch’s Wedding ~
    There she was at the altar; waiting. Seems like she had waited her whole 180 years for this moment. Her stomach churned as she scanned the guests and other participants. Where was he? Her bony fingers clutched her bouquet of black lilies and black dahlias; around her neck she wore the locket he had given her that contained drops of his blood and sweat. The two rings that had been handcrafted by her friend Koop were upon the pillow, but where was he? The aroma of cauldron wafted throughout, while the clock ticked without tocking causing her own sweat to bead on her brow…where was he?

14. Nicole m
    Nicole m says:

This is one of my favorite Halloween movies to watch with my daughters every year. It’s been a tradition since my oldest, who is 16, was a lil one. We know the lines by heart and tend to say them along with the characters as we watch it, lol.

15. Antique to Chic
    Antique to Chic says:

My favorite character from my favorite halloween/christmas movie! Thanks for the great contest!

E Green says:

I tried to think of things that creep me out, things hiding in dark corners or in closets, or under a rock, waiting to make you jump and yell at their unveiling.

here’s mine! :)

…..and here’s mine. :-)

19. sunny chick
    sunny chick says:

What a great contest! Thanks LB!! :D

20. D Gooding
    D Gooding says:

My husband and I enjoy passing out candy for Halloween. A couple hundred children usually come to the door and it takes the two of us to keep up with them. A few years ago, my husband was scheduled to work Halloween evening. My youngest brother offered to come down and help me out. I ordered pizza, and put on the movie PumpkinHead, which is a particular favorite of mine this time of year. After he ate some pizza, and answered the doorbell 3 times, my brother sat on the sofa, popped up the recliner and fell asleep, snoring. I have no idea how he could sleep with PumpkinHead blaring, and the doorbell ringing every few minutes, but he missed most of the trick-or-treaters…LOL. My wonderful brother passed away this year, but this will always be one of my fondest memories.

21. Elis Mom
    Elis Mom says:

I created this pick because I don’t usually care to use holiday charms. This is my first attempt at using materials I’m not accustomed to, so, I took the Spooky, and made it Kooky!

the Crazier Sister says:

1st time to try this… Fun, playing with color. And a good stretch of the mind!

23. Colleen
    Colleen says:

Here’s my submission. It represents the feeling of my ideal house.

24. Kate K
    Kate K says:

My submission is inspired by Nirvana’s famous version of the song “Lake of Fire.”

WARNING: I got kinda (cough, cough) dark, melodramatic and long winded (who meeee? ;P). Sorry! I blame the season the time and that I’ve been up too long! lol forgive me?
    O, I also wanted to add some paper beads but they were mostly sold out! :(

One of my earliest Halloween memories … a bittersweet one at that …

27. Sonia G
    Sonia G says:

“Ahoy! mateys, deep in t’ halloween night t’ colours o’ black beards tale arises hahaha he dares you t’ trick or treat ”

28. sunny chick
    sunny chick says:

I’d like to submit this as my entry for the Halloween Fresh Pick Challenge instead. :P

P HOWARD says:

40 Years ago my Holloween baby was born. He decided that he wanted to watch The Legend of Sleepy Hollow with me,but we made it to the hospitol in time,he arrived 6 minutes after we got there. Today that baby will be retiring from the US ARMY in January 2012, has a wonderful wife and 4 beautiful daughters! Makes a Mother PROUD!!!

P HOWARD says:

31. Stone Treasures
    Stone Treasures says:

Jack – O – Lantern

Artful Accents says:

Even though I don’t like that fall is a precursor to my least favorite season (winter), I can appreciate autumn for its true beauty. I love the contrast that can be found in the brightly colored leaves with the last hints of green that remain.

33. Gina P - Delta Chick
    Gina P - Delta Chick says:

Happy Halloween one and all! :D

34. Marion
    Marion says:

One of my most treasured photos of my girls is a Halloween pic of them dressed up as a tiger and a ladybug.To this day years later those costumes still represent their characters, beautiful/fierce and ethereal/adorable and the luckiest person I know.

ps.I put the girls picture I’m referring to up as my profile pic so you can judge for yourselves.

qltldy10 says:

Oh what fun! I really will be leaving treats for the chipmunks and squirrels tonight. Hope the bears have all gone to bed by now!

For the past few years, my family and I have dressed up as the Addams Family for Halloween – me and hubby as Morticia and Gomez, my daughter as Wednesday, my middle son as Pugsley and my youngest son as the baby from the second Addams Family movie. We resemble them in real life (in a good way!), so when we do it up for Halloween, it’s a little uncanny!

(Oops! I just read the contest rules and added the luster silver crystals to my pick!)

38. Maia
    Maia says:

The colors of Fall are fabulous but they do not suit me. So to adds some Fall to myself I would use my Fresh Pick as a Charm Bracelet. The Squirrel and Acorn Dangle would make great earrings to adds some fun.
    Happy Halloween!

Anna706 says:

I love your beads, every thing I made with them turn out great. The best is the seed beads my work sparkles. I do not get in to halloween because of it’s satanic activity.

40. Cathy H Chocolate Chick
    Cathy H Chocolate Chick says:

So many great picks! Here’s mine and good luck to all!! :)

41. Kaydee
    Kaydee says:

I know the story is a bit long — hope you like it.

Sara E says:

My very first pick. Hope you all like it.

leodesigns says:

The SAW movies feature some of the scariest situations imaginable. This pick includes common elements of the series– abandoned buildings, cages, machines, timed puzzles, and of course, the resulting blood and gore.

Years later, I still haven’t managed to scrub some of these disturbing images off my brain. So here they are!

44. Crazy Chick Frida
    Crazy Chick Frida says:

Here is mine! Enjoy :D Love this funny stuff that lima staff comes up with!

45. Anna C WonderChick
    Anna C WonderChick says:

Hope you all like this Pick. On a fun side note, tonight the kids in the photo (in my comment) were Trick or Treating. They have grown up into a Wolf and a Zombie Prom Queen. Quite a difference, seven years later! Happy Halloween Lima Beaders.

46. beaded banana
    beaded banana says:

I was surprised that I hadn’t already done a Great Pumpkin inspired Fresh Pick. But here it is, right before the deadline. At least I’m hoping the deadline is midnight on the west coast and not east coast. It’s only 1040pm here.
    Please see the comment section on the FP for the story/description.

• No PhotoUnarer R said »
    “This narrates you a lot about a company concern theoretical account's military …”